Recommended readings

Rob

Dec 12, 2007
ID
I am relitively new to card slights and am wondering if anyone can recomend a couple of good books?

First of all, I am an adult so please don't recomend a kids book unless it is actually useful.

Second, I don't need a book of tricks. I'll find those on my own.

I have some of the basics down and have learned a lot on the web, but I know thare is a huge gap in my knoledge base.

Any recomendations will be greatly usrful.

Thanks for your imput

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Not expert at the card table for a very beginer. For a really good list check the 1 on 1 vid by Aaron Fisher, the card volume 1 one. Royal Road for sure.

Rob

Dec 12, 2007
ID
The Expert... ya ive seen that on on the web and saw that it was complicated for the beginner. Royl Road i'll look and see if i can get it cheap.

Even Dan and Dave suggest getting a good book.

I'm sure that the T11 staff would agree not to buy something that might not be useful at this point so I'm asking for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
UK
Royal Road to Card Magic is great if you are a beginner. Expert Card Technique is great if you are after a huge wealth of content. ;)

Huruey

Sep 1, 2007
Born to Perform was my first dvd. It taught me a lot.
Born to Perform Card Magic with Oz Pearlman.

its on penguinmagic.
and ellusionist's dvd crash course 1.

for books, royal road to card magic is good, and I heard card college was.

But I think books aren't that good at teaching. But its a lot cheaper!

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I'm reading The Stein and Day Handbook of Magic by Marvin Kaye. It does teach you tricks, but also how to have good showmanship, I don't know about great since I haven't finished the book. Check it out sometime.

I would recommend the Gerry Griffin's 7 part DVD series "Complete Card Magic", it's honestly one of the best investments I've probably made. Also Jean Hugard's "Card Manipulation's", and of course" The Royal Road to Card Magic". All these I would say are a must. Just to top it off I would also think about purchasing " The Books of Wonder" Volume 1 & 2 by Tommy Wonder for Performance Tips. Hope this helps PM me if you have any other questions.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I'm eyeing the Gerry Griffin series myself. The number of youthful folk on this forum are making me feel like a real loser, since there are 16 year olds doing things I've always looked at and gone "eh, some other time". I've started to warm back up to my cards over the past week, and while I'm still clumsy enough not to even think about making a video, I'm doing a few new things well enough that I think I'll be able to pull them off reliably by the end of the month. Especially once I order a few real decks, instead of straight 808s...

I'm eyeing the Gerry Griffin series myself. The number of youthful folk on this forum are making me feel like a real loser, since there are 16 year olds doing things I've always looked at and gone "eh, some other time". I've started to warm back up to my cards over the past week, and while I'm still clumsy enough not to even think about making a video, I'm doing a few new things well enough that I think I'll be able to pull them off reliably by the end of the month. Especially once I order a few real decks, instead of straight 808s...

You can shock and aw group for hours with the tricks on Gerry's series. As a matter of fact you can open with just about every trick on the series and it gets peoples attention every-time. He is one of my favorite card magician due to the fact its not all about flashy cuts but just to get on the level of your audience and be entertaining. You should check out his Out of Control Queens effect. I've been using that as my opener for the last three years and some say its the best trick even when I perform the newer greats with it (Stigmata, Indecent, Panic, etc;) It's really that good of a card effect.

Rob

Dec 12, 2007
ID
Thanks

Thanks for all the help.

Now can anyone tell me how to stop the thread now that no one is replying to it??

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results