Relearning mechanic's grip?

Nov 3, 2012
Hello, my name is William Karlsson, and I have been doing card magic for about half a year. In the beginning I was a ''youtube'' magician, I would see some cool sleight performed by ex. David blaine, and then search the entire web for a tutorial. And of course, immediately when learned I would go out and perform it. Eventually I found the theory11 site, and I started to learn tricks from the wire. Gradually I started to learn harder and harder tricks and by doing all that I missed a few steps in the process of learning magic.

Just the other day I watched one of Aaron Fishers ''Card Magic Minute'' videos, where he talked about the mechanics grip, and how important it was to have it down, and I looked at my mechanics grip and realized that I was holding it a bit ''special''. For example, my fingers ( middle, ring and pinky fingers) was a little to far up on the side, and I didn't have this gap between the deck and my palm. So now im trying to relearn the grip, so please guys if you have any tips of how I can relearn this faster, any sources that you would recommend or any other thoughts, Please respond!

Jul 13, 2010
What`s wrong with the Fisher video ?
It is not easy to relearn something you`ve done in a different way for a long time. It`s harder to get rid of old habbits than learning it from scratch. It takes time and discipline.
A good resource for grips and variations is Card College Vol.1.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
A good resource for grips and variations is Card College Vol.1.

I second that recommendation. You have probably learned more than just the mechanic's grip incorrectly. That is part of the problem of learning from Youtube. Get Card College Volume 1 and 2 and start over learning correctly.

Sep 8, 2012
If it works, don't relearn it. But one tip. Read and practice everything in royal road to card magic(book by huagard and braue). You will learn all basic card magic moves and get familliar with a variety of different effects, as well as the mechanic's grip. I avoid mechanics grip, and do all I can in the erdnase modified grip, because I do seconds, bottoms, greeks and centers in that grip.
I hope my tip will come handy :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results