Reset With a Hook

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Well, this little effect from Gregory Wilson's "Card Stunts" is just a little thing I learned earlier this week, and absolutely love. No, there's no patter, and for that I do apologize, but I figured the music would make you smile and enjoy the video even more; if not, then you're not a very happy person! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXGdGKvgWE

Also, I don't know why the video is so jumpy, but it is. There is no editing or anything; just a sucky camera! Once again, enjoy!

Sep 1, 2007
It was pretty good. A couple things I saw were-

Your breaks were a little iffy, but I'm sure if you were performing this live mis-direction would cover it up.

And lastly, please, for the love of god practice your top-pop. It made me want to swallow a knife.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Well then full credit goes to him! Like I said, I didn't know who invented it, didn't know the name of it, so I couldn't give credit, thanks for that. I don't know what you thought was so horrible about it. Like always, you said something was horrible in my video, but didn't say why, or how to fix it. I personally like it slower and smooth like that, but it's just personal preference. Another person I've talked to about it said he thought it was really nice. I don't know why you can only comment on the negative things, but to each his own. Thanks for the feedback, regardless of how negative it was. :lol:

Oh yeah, the breaks were a little rough, but I don't do too well with small packets, and I feel it's hard to maintain a small break with them; at least for me. Thanks again for the feedback!

Sep 1, 2007
Ah, Reset with a hook.

My first - and pretty much only - reset love. Coupla points my friend:

The switch that precedes the second change of the 2 into aces needs heavy misdirection. Make sure you study what Greg says about blocking this switch in - patter and audience management is a must. The "hook" from the title of this trick refers to the patter theme, so its kinda odd to present it without patter, but of course I digress...

The reset bit was well executed I'd say - the starting sequence where you set the jacks aside felt a little tense. If you need a little pause here and there to get through the count, remember that that's where a good patter line can really come in handy. The display of the aces is none too convincing unless you think of it almost as a flushtration count - quick and casual is the key.

The one thing I really dislike about this routine is the final display, where the jacks and aces are interspersed with one another. Again, this is all to do with the patter theme I guess, but it always seemed a little "huh?" to me. What I've discovered over the years playing with it is that there's a lot of room in Greg's routine to play around and come up with interesting little touches on it.

Keep on running with this one, it's worth the practise.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Ah, Reset with a hook.

My first - and pretty much only - reset love. Coupla points my friend:

The switch that precedes the second change of the 2 into aces needs heavy misdirection. Make sure you study what Greg says about blocking this switch in - patter and audience management is a must. The "hook" from the title of this trick refers to the patter theme, so its kinda odd to present it without patter, but of course I digress...

The reset bit was well executed I'd say - the starting sequence where you set the jacks aside felt a little tense. If you need a little pause here and there to get through the count, remember that that's where a good patter line can really come in handy. The display of the aces is none too convincing unless you think of it almost as a flushtration count - quick and casual is the key.

The one thing I really dislike about this routine is the final display, where the jacks and aces are interspersed with one another. Again, this is all to do with the patter theme I guess, but it always seemed a little "huh?" to me. What I've discovered over the years playing with it is that there's a lot of room in Greg's routine to play around and come up with interesting little touches on it.

Keep on running with this one, it's worth the practise.

Your first point- yes, the 2 to Aces change does need misdirection, and I tried to do it off screen, but it's a small frame to work with, and I didn't quite get it accomplished. The flustration count of the Aces was really bad, but I think is a bit easier to pull off under a little misdirection. Yeah, the final display isn't really good for anything unless you went for the "black jack theme" like Greg Wilson. Which I would probably do in a real performance, but obviously is a little hard to do to music. However, if you just spread the cards out, you could see that the Aces and Jacks aren't in order and are "interspersed" with one another, so the final "display" is good for that, I guess. Thanks again for the feedback.

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
Reset with a Hook is a great version. I also love J.J sanverts, he has a great reset and cannibal kings routine. Definately worth a look.

SIX

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I like Joel Givens' take on the Cannibal theme. Check out my review for "Session" by Joshua Jay to learn more about the effect. Any comments on my performance of it?

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
The performance was good, but didnt seem like you practiced. Felt like you were trying to remember the moves and or the next step. But overall pretty decent vid.

Sep 1, 2007
There's alternative ways to end if you go looking for them. I end the routine by showing the aces and kings clearly separated - as logically they should be. This is what I mean by taking the time to play around with it a bit :)

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
The performance was good, but didnt seem like you practiced. Felt like you were trying to remember the moves and or the next step. But overall pretty decent vid.

How can a performance be good if it seemed non-practised?

I didn't like it at all, you should practise a pinky count.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Actually, those pauses where it seemed like I was "remembering" were probably where I was doing something off camera that requires misdirection in a real life performance. I did practice, and yes, my pinky count is pretty bad, but I don't feel that's too big of a deal. But I am still working on it. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results