Restaurant Gigs

May 25, 2010
Well, I've been in magic for several years now and have been performong mainly for my family and some close friends. I've exhausted that performing venue, and it's getting pretty boring performing for them (my mom always thinks it's wonderful). I am 14 years old.
I'm thinking of doing a gig at a restaurant close to me and have several questions about my first potential gig. I want to do this mainly for expirience, but money is always nice.

1. What kind of tricks should I do? I am mostly a beginner in the technical and performance areas. I do mostly card tricks with little bit of coin magic.

2. How much should I charge? I'll probably be doing this for a couple of hours during the evenings on weekends.

3. How should I approach a table?

4. How long should I stay at a table?

5. What kind of a restaurant should I perform at? I know not McD's or something like that, but not like a really fancy one.

By the way, I'm thinking of getting a nice business card printed from Vista Print to give to the manager of the to-be-determined restaurant and tell him/her that I would do one night for free to see how they like me.

I'm sorry if these questions are really obvious, but I am honestly clueless.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 1, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Well, I've been in magic for several years now and have been performong mainly for my family and some close friends. I've exhausted that performing venue, and it's getting pretty boring performing for them (my mom always thinks it's wonderful). I am 14 years old.
I'm thinking of doing a gig at a restaurant close to me and have several questions about my first potential gig. I want to do this mainly for expirience, but money is always nice.

1. What kind of tricks should I do? I am mostly a beginner in the technical and performance areas. I do mostly card tricks with little bit of coin magic.

2. How much should I charge? I'll probably be doing this for a couple of hours during the evenings on weekends.

5. What kind of a restaurant should I perform at? I know not McD's or something like that, but not like a really fancy one.

By the way, I'm thinking of getting a nice business card printed from Vista Print to give to the manager of the to-be-determined restaurant and tell him/her that I would do one night for free to see how they like me.

Thanks in advance.

2 great resources for resteraunt magic aree Jay Sankeys real work on resteraunts and bars and David Stones DVD on the subject.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Corporate Close up Volumes 1 and 2 are highly recommended too. I found a lot of info in them as well as the Jail house set and David Stone set. David Stone's book is awesome as well.

Jul 14, 2010

Thanks in advance.

All I have to say is try and find something other than vista print. they may be cheap but if your not carful you could be spending a lot with stuff like being charged off your credit card/bank account for clicking a X on a popout instead of No Thanks and on the offers you have to go through, they put a bunch of them on so you would keep clicking Next but on one on them, its for a magazine and its automatically set to yes as defalt.

Its all here
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/vistaprint.html

So I would not reccemend it

good luck

If u wanna perform for experience I would recommend that u joins the magic castle juniors group because the teach u how to per from better n u may be hired to perform there as well. I highly recommend this for u because ur only 14 n that age is hard to get gigs at restaurant.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results