Retention Vanish Question

Nov 29, 2008
I really like the retention vanish. However, I learned the retention vanish by doing spongeballs, because i haven't really started coins until a few days ago. I was curious, if anyone here has Jay Noblezada's sponge DVD, if the method from that DVD could be practical for coins. I only ask because I like that method better than the one taught on michael ammar's introduction to coin magic DVD.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
I really like the retention vanish. However, I learned the retention vanish by doing spongeballs, because i haven't really started coins until a few days ago. I was curious, if anyone here has Jay Noblezada's sponge DVD, if the method from that DVD could be practical for coins. I only ask because I like that method better than the one taught on michael ammar's introduction to coin magic DVD.

Two things- absolutely it's practical, and if you like how it feels, why wouldn't you use it?

Scott.

Nov 29, 2008
Well, I understand most, if not all, magicians would consider Michael Ammar a better magician than Jay, so maybe his method, although alien to me, would be better. But thanks scott you definitey helped me out there honestly. It will be good to already have some coin moves down starting out of the gate because of sponge balls.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Well, I understand most, if not all, magicians would consider Michael Ammar a better magician than Jay, so maybe his method, although alien to me, would be better. But thanks scott you definitey helped me out there honestly. It will be good to already have some coin moves down starting out of the gate because of sponge balls.

That's what I did- I started sleight of hand with spongeballs. They're the building blocks! (err... sponges)

Glad to help. If you do what's comfortable to you, it makes your sleight of hand look comfortable- and that's the secret to ALL sleights (and most of magic).

Scott.

Sep 24, 2007
Hmm. The one in the Noblezada Dvd isn't all that great. (The retention vanish) It's taught a lot better in one of the David Roth tapes, though I don't recall which one.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Hmm. The one in the Noblezada Dvd isn't all that great. (The retention vanish) It's taught a lot better in one of the David Roth tapes, though I don't recall which one.

His STARS OF MAGIC tapes, (now on DVD), and his Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol. 1 go over it in extreme detail.

Also if you can watch a tape of his Philadelphia or London lectures, they really show how he is in action in front of a group (retention vanish and all), which is great to watch. David Roth is amazing!

Scott.

His STARS OF MAGIC tapes, (now on DVD), and his Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol. 1 go over it in extreme detail.

Also if you can watch a tape of his Philadelphia or London lectures, they really show how he is in action in front of a group (retention vanish and all), which is great to watch. David Roth is amazing!

Scott.
Actually its volume 2 of the expert coin magic made easy. But yea. I don't know about trasfering sponge ball technique to coin magic. I guess most of it would translate, definitely the timing would. But I feel like some of the mechanics would have to be adjusted. For example with coins you end up on a finger tip rest (well with a sort of basic type of retention vanish you do) whereas with sponge balls there is no finger tip rest so... you get what i mean.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
Actually its volume 2 of the expert coin magic made easy. But yea. I don't know about trasfering sponge ball technique to coin magic. I guess most of it would translate, definitely the timing would. But I feel like some of the mechanics would have to be adjusted. For example with coins you end up on a finger tip rest (well with a sort of basic type of retention vanish you do) whereas with sponge balls there is no finger tip rest so... you get what i mean.

It's vol. 2? My memory is slipping... thanks for the correction.

Yeah, the techniques are similar, so adjusting a few finger placements is really not a problem when going from sponges to coins. The timing, naturalness, etc. is all easy to learn using pretty much anything (sponges, balls, coins, cards).

Scott.

I got bored and shot this to post on penguin. But then i remembered you were asking about it. This is how i do it. I learned from stones dvds (my favorite beginner source) and roths dvd and other sources and then refined through trial and error. Not that this is gonna help you. I just figured i'd post it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuGKxgKFTI

Oh and i was being kind of weird with the music and dancing and stuff. Disregard that part.:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results