Routine Advice

So I was looking for some advice from my fellow workers out there. I have another stage show coming up in 6 weeks and I was wanting to add to my routine I have now. I bought "The books of Wonder", about six months ago and I have been practicing his ring, watch, and wallet routine and I was thinking about adding this to my routine as an ending. Now I don't want to seem like I am not original since the rest of my routine I will be performing is pretty much my stuff but most of my I.B.M. friends will be there and I want to surprise them with a short tribute to the man that got me started in magic. My concern is how do you think this be taken as in terms of good idea or bad. I really don't want to end off of someone else's routine but I really love Wonder's stuff. For those of you that don't know me I have been in magic for over 15 years and street performing for about 5 years now and I just recently was hired as house magician for a night club last October. Since then I have been doing stage shows for the first time and it was quite a change for me and I'm still learning this side of magic. I was looking for opinions from members with experienced stage acts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Uhm,..OK I'm completely shocked noone has single comment about my question. Wow ask a question get nothing thats new around here,..haha.

I'm not personally familiar with "The Books of Wonder," but I'm posting anyway so that you don't think that no one has a single comment about your question.

If I were you, I'd just close with something really simple and direct, like you disappearing. Maybe work on a variation of an old method, or try something experimental. I don't know. I rarely do stage work. It feels less intimate.

I appreciate that Longman that was me being sarcastic. It was a change for me due to feeling less one on one myself with my spectator's but right now it's what I'm getting paid to do so I want my shows to be memorable when people come and see me at the same time I like stepping out of my comfort zone for once it makes magic that much more exciting for me right now. Appreciate the response though, I don't usually ask for advice but since this is new territory for me it's the smart thing to do. Thanks!

Peace,

Shane.:)

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I was looking for opinions from members with experienced stage acts.

This disqualifies the vast majority of the forum.

I have stage experience as an actor, but not as a magician. All my magic performances (what few there have been) were in close-up settings.

But personally, I'd suggest you mention at the end of the act that the final few effects were an homage to so-and-so who inspired you to become a magician, and add some touching personal note about how grateful you are. That should silence any criticism about using other people's routines.

But I don't do stage magic, so what do I know?

This disqualifies the vast majority of the forum.

I have stage experience as an actor, but not as a magician. All my magic performances (what few there have been) were in close-up settings.

But personally, I'd suggest you mention at the end of the act that the final few effects were an homage to so-and-so who inspired you to become a magician, and add some touching personal note about how grateful you are. That should silence any criticism about using other people's routines.

But I don't do stage magic, so what do I know?

I appreciate the input, I was definitely planning on giving props to Tommy.

Thanks,

Shane.:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results