S.W.E. Shift by Chris Kenner

May 16, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I was pretty excited when I saw that Chris Kenner was going to be teaching this move. I've heard of this move before but I never really looked into it.

Quality:

This has the same quality as all of the other 1 on 1 videos. Quick download, good picture, good music, etc.

The Teaching:

Chris Kenner is a great teacher as many of you know from his previous 1 on 1s. This is no exception. Chris is a master of this move which makes his teaching even better.

The Move:

This is a very difficult move. When I first looked at the method, it didn't seem to hard, but as I attempted it, I found that it is very difficult. The move is different. That's what makes it so hard. Your fingers move in ways that they never have before (at least for me). My fingers started hurting after awhile.

It will definately take some time to master this move, however, as you can see in the video, it looks amazing. It will definately be worth the practice since it is such a great control.

The Layout:

I thought I'd mention this because it stuck out to me. The layout is a lot different from other 1 on 1s. It is taught in an 'over the shoulder' view. This is a much better way to learn than from a front view. This 1 on 1 is also a lot more detailed. Some previous 1 on 1s have been a bit rushed, but this one was very in depth and detailed. Chris spend a long time explaining this move. He also gives a lot of practice tips and other things as he teaches it to you.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the teaching and overall layout of the video is far superior than many other 1 on 1s.

Thoughts:

I like this move. I will definitely be putting my time in to master this move.

The price of this is $6.95. Maybe a bit pricey since it is just one move, not a routine, but I don't mind. Others may feel different.

I am very satisfied with this 1 on 1 and I would recommend it to people who really want to advance their slight of hand.

This is certainly not for beginners. It is for people more advanced in sleight of hand techniques

I'm sure most of you who were recently disappointed with Theory11's 1 on 1s will be happy with this one.

Peace

-Kevin

May 2, 2008
Pennsylvania
Thanks!

Nice review, very thorough. I just have one question. I have been doing magic/handling cards for almost 2 years now. Do you think I am experienced enough for this move?

Thanks,

Sanj

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! Every single Erdnase student/maniac dreamed of seeing Kenner's S.W.E shift! It lives for its reputation indeed.

This is a MUST for every Erdnase lover. Kenner does it flawlessly and better than many I've seen.

Heck, seeing it down worth the price of admission. THANKS KENNER, made my dream come true ...

My hands are shaking ... >_< oh man .... Are these tears? .. This is bad .. >_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I second this review, it's worth the price for the tips alone. This is one of the few sleights from Erdnase that I never could conceptualize until I saw it done and the teaching from this 1 on 1 was phenomenal(CK is probably one of the better teachers in magic that I've learned from.)

I spent a long time practicing after watching the download and am happy that I can do the move but know that it'll be a looooooooong time before its ready to pull out in public.

Aug 23, 2008
watching Chris Kenner perform this move, blows me away each and every time, but of course no one buys a 1-on-1 just to be impressed, they expect to be taught...

a cousin of mine introduced me to Chris Kenner's stuff, telling me that he is a great teacher...and from what i've seen, i have no reason at all to disagree. he goes into crazy detail about the 'sleight', the pressure amount involved, and even suggests really unique ways to practice.

overall Im extremely satisfied, and while 'balancing act' nature of this sleight will certainly take some time to perfect (a lot of time actually) - it certainly seems worth the effort at the end.

on a side note: he advertises a book titled 'Expert at the Card Table' which comes in this new leatherbound edition, and for those of you who are intereted I found it on Amazon (unfortunately there are no magic shops in my area):

http://www.amazon.com/Expert-at-Car...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220294540&sr=8-1

Great review.

I'd definately have spent more just to watch Chris Kenner perform this move, let alone teach it in as intricate detail. The S.W.E. Shift is one of those moves that on paper it never really looks practical and extremly difficult so most people look past it. (Myself included.) Seeing it performed flawlessly for the first time really made me go grab my Expert at the Card Table again and learn it properly and well. Now being able to reed it and watching Chris do it slowly and give great tips I'll (and everyone else'll) be able to learn this correctly and one day perform it well.

If you haven't, go buy it!

And if any of you are like me and like to bust open a new deck when tackling a new sleight - don't! The easiest way to practice any sleight is to use an older, clumpy deck of cards. I'm using a well used deck of Wynns which work great, I'd reccomend something with a clumpy plastic or plastic like finish such as Wynn's, Kem's, Royals, 1st Ed Guradians anyone :p

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
heh, I just picked this up today, and I quite like it. It's very knacky and fun to do. I'm finding it easier to do than shifty (although, I've a long way to get it looking good). But it's just a more comfortable move to do than shifty.

Worth the $7 to see the move done. Sometimes you just need to see the move done in order to build your confidence in doing the move.

Kenner of course does an awesome job with it and teaching it.

j

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results