Sacrifices

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
If the ultimate goal of the magician is to enjoy creating an experience and change peoples lives for the better, then there can be nothing else. I believe that the only way to become better is to dedicate your entire life to your passion. At the end of the month I am going to leave my home and live on the streets with nothing except a backpack full of cards, clothes and some acupuncture needles. I have been thinking about it for the past year or so and I have finally decided to carry it out. I have saved up some money so I won't starve. Hopefully by the end of this journey I will have found out what I need to and will be better for it or end up in a ditch somewhere. but both a better than living a life always wondering. Now obviously no one would have to do this, i could try to get an actual gig but the adventure has always attracted me. I have tried to follow the practice of shugyo. I am giving up a comfortable life and certainty. What are you willing to sacrifice for your art?

Apr 9, 2010
Sounds a lot like Andrew Rufiange's Hurdle. He's taking nothing except a deck of cards, and traveliing over 200km a day for a month, only paying for rides, accomodation, and anything else with magic. When he reaches his final destination, he's going to teleport back to his home town in under 10 seconds.

Hope it all goes well.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
That hurdle idea sounds awesome I would so do that if I could get a TV deal.

Anyway best of luck with it kid. I have recently quit my job and am plaining to move to the other side of the country. Magic is not the primary reason for this but it definatly is a reason. But I still plan to get a regular job but with less responsibility and stress so I can focus more on performing. A lot of the semi pros will agree after a solid 8 plus hours at the 'real' job you are too drained to do an other three hours of quality entertainment.

Jan 16, 2008
@Jessb - I think you are most definitely qualified to call yourself an Artist in Magic. As of now, I look up to you. :) How much you're willing to sacrifice determines how much passion you have, whether it be time or money that you give up. Good luck!!

@kaos - where can I watch Hurdle?

@D ICE R - With your experience and skill, can't you make a living out of performing?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Where I live has a very selfish why should I pay to see that type mentality. I do a few gigs a week and it is enough to live on but I have a 'real' job aswell. Recently I have been under way to much stress at the job and it is taking its toll on me physically and emotionally, and I am scared my problems may resurface if I keep working there.

Whilst I can make a living off performing ask something like Draven or DC and they will tell you it is a very hard lifestyle to live. Between terrible hours and chasing clients among many many other things there are far easier ways to make money. They (and hopefully I can soon) do it all because they love it and would not change it for the world.

Jan 16, 2008
@D ICE R - I feel you, because the people in Hong Kong (and basically in China) have that same mindset.
I really hope you can find a better lifestyle for you and your little one after you move. Best of luck! It seriously makes a difference when you have a family of your own, doesn't it?

@ Jessb1 - please keep us in the know about your progress if you ever stumble into a Starbucks with free Wifi ;)

If the ultimate goal of the magician is to enjoy creating an experience and change peoples lives for the better, then there can be nothing else. I believe that the only way to become better is to dedicate your entire life to your passion. At the end of the month I am going to leave my home and live on the streets with nothing except a backpack full of cards, clothes and some acupuncture needles. I have been thinking about it for the past year or so and I have finally decided to carry it out. I have saved up some money so I won't starve. Hopefully by the end of this journey I will have found out what I need to and will be better for it or end up in a ditch somewhere. but both a better than living a life always wondering. Now obviously no one would have to do this, i could try to get an actual gig but the adventure has always attracted me. I have tried to follow the practice of shugyo. I am giving up a comfortable life and certainty. What are you willing to sacrifice for your art?

That sounds awesome, I really respect how you are ready to sacrafice things for your magic. I will definately be keeping you in mind for the future. Best of luck and for your safety!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results