Saturday Night Contest - Faking Distancia!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hope you're all having a great weekend! Our latest release, DISTANCIA by Les French Twins, is now in the wild. Over 2 years in development, Distancia was built from scratch to give you real power at your command. Make a coin stand up and TURN OVER on its own in the spectator’s hands - while a glass is covering all sides. Have a deck of cards PHYSICALLY cut to a selected card on the table all by itself; and so much more. It’s more powerful, more durable, and more effective than anything else on the market.

Tonight's contest is a fake exposure contest. That is, your challenge is to come up with the most RIDICULOUS, crazy, outside the box, laughable method for DISTANCIA. Then, film yourself teaching that ridiculous method to the world, and post the link in THIS forum thread. All videos must be under 5 minutes!

Upload your video entry to YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread on or before 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 9th. After time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on overall creativity. What's up for grabs? 1,000 Elite Points, and your very own DISTANCIA kit, shipped on the house anywhere in the world.

While this contest is lighthearted, the goal is to fill the web with FAKE exposure videos, making it more difficult for anyone to learn the real secret. We look forward to seeing what crazy method you guys come up with!

Sep 30, 2021
www.youtube.com
Hope you're all having a great weekend! Our latest release, DISTANCIA by Les French Twins, is now in the wild. Over 2 years in development, Distancia was built from scratch to give you real power at your command. Make a coin stand up and TURN OVER on its own in the spectator’s hands - while a glass is covering all sides. Have a deck of cards PHYSICALLY cut to a selected card on the table all by itself; and so much more. It’s more powerful, more durable, and more effective than anything else on the market.

Tonight's contest is a fake exposure contest. That is, your challenge is to come up with the most RIDICULOUS, crazy, outside the box, laughable method for DISTANCIA. Then, film yourself teaching that ridiculous method to the world, and post the link in THIS forum thread. All videos must be under 5 minutes!

Upload your video entry to YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram and post the link to your video in response to THIS forum thread on or before 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, January 9th. After time is up, our panel of judges will go through all submissions and decide on a winner based on overall creativity. What's up for grabs? 1,000 Elite Points, and your very own DISTANCIA kit, shipped on the house anywhere in the world.

While this contest is lighthearted, the goal is to fill the web with FAKE exposure videos, making it more difficult for anyone to learn the real secret. We look forward to seeing what crazy method you guys come up with!
does it have to do the same effect or could it just be hypothetical what i mean is can i just say thats why it rises or do i have to show it rising?

Eliyahu

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
I'm not sure I see the point of this. The last few seconds of the demo video expose plenty already.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I'm not sure I see the point of this. The last few seconds of the demo video expose plenty already.
Mainly just an opportunity to be funny and clever! Not supposed to be taken too seriously; the point of this contest has always been to have fun with creating some outlandish, laughable method that clearly does not work in real life. If you search our past iterations of this contest you will see the vibe that this contest is supposed to give off to help as inspiration!

As magicians we know where to buy products but majority of laymen don't so they use youtube to find how to do things where people do reveal the secrets. I've done many shows lately where mainly kids say "I've seen that on Youtube or Tiktok" but the idea is to throw those people off. It's also funny when you perform for these people and can disprove their method of how they think it works. In my opinion I wouldn't name my video "how to do Distancia" but more keyword based as if you were a laymen who happened to see this effect being performed on tv or in person. "How to make a coin stand up" or "impossible coin balance" are good phrases.

Eliyahu

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
As magicians we know where to buy products but majority of laymen don't so they use youtube to find how to do things where people do reveal the secrets. I've done many shows lately where mainly kids say "I've seen that on Youtube or Tiktok" but the idea is to throw those people off. It's also funny when you perform for these people and can disprove their method of how they think it works. In my opinion I wouldn't name my video "how to do Distancia" but more keyword based as if you were a laymen who happened to see this effect being performed on tv or in person. "How to make a coin stand up" or "impossible coin balance" are good phrases.

I agree that that may be a value in a lot of tricks, but here the effect is generic enough that I think we're pretty safe. Casey Rudd's explanation makes a lot more sense to me.

By the way, should point out that I'm not against this exposure. I think it's actually a wonderful thing that Theory11 is allowing people to know what they're getting before dropping $$$ on it, and it's something I wish more magic shops would do.

Reactions: Khaleel Olaiky
Aug 21, 2021
This is my video for this amazing contest. I wanted to be serious, but in the same time with a ridiculous wethod. I put a lot of effort into the video and also I found a way to recreate the effect. The effect from Les French is truly amazing. I am really looking forward to see who the winner will be. Maybe me?

lapele

Elite Member
Dec 3, 2018
I had a great time filming for this contest, even though I was a bit concerned in the beginning. Can't wait to see what others came up with. My idea based on using "IT" as means to move the objects. Here's a link to the video on Instagram:

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
i did submit a video almost an hour ago but hasn’t gotten moderator approval. Just making sure if there’s an issue I need to resolve

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Here is my submission for the SNC this week, where I expose Distancia!

Congrats MattieuZ! We've chosen your entry as the winner for this contest! This was super difficult as there were so many great and fantastic entries with some pretty great false methods, however we loved how serious you were with teaching this method that is so laughably incorrect but made it seem like an actual possibility. The creativity of this method is so great! Please contact our support team with your details so we can get your prize out to you ASAP!

Huge honorable mentions to Khaleel Olaiky, Flapho, and lapele for their entries as they made this one super super close!

See you all on Saturday for a new contest!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results