Saturday Night Contest - Fall In Love

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great start to the weekend! Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and that means there was all kinds of love in the air. This week's contest has to do with love, but not the kind of love you're thinking about. Let me further elaborate.

For this week's contest, we want you to share with us the moment that you fell in love with magic or cardistry. What was it that you saw, learned, or experienced that got you hooked with either genre? Was it a trick/flourish that you saw performed? Was it learning a new sleight or cardistry move that gave you the spark? Did you attend a convention or meet up with other magicians/cardists? Whatever the moment was, we want you to share it with us. What made you fall in love with magic or cardistry?

Post your responses in THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, February 16th. Once time is up, we will select two responses at random, each receiving 500 Elite Member Points and 3 Decks of Love Me Playing Cards, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We are extremely excited to read your responses. We hope everyone had a happy Valentines Day!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
When I read the description of Up The Ladder Cuts or Gamblers False Cut In Expert Card Technique..

P.S. Some of the first magic tricks I started doing though were from Aldo Colombinis Card Magic DVD Set ... Then I found a move that I am enamored with to this day.

Good Luck Everyone!!

Reactions: Yeast In The Brain

Patrix

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2018
Michigan
When I was 12 or 13 I saw Bill Bixby as the magician on TV. I got the magic bug and within a few years I was performing a show for Birthday Party’s and youth groups. Until I was 17 or 18 and took a long break. (Decades) 2 years ago. I did a bit of sleight of hand for a dear friends child. I recalled that look of wonder and started relearning magic and discovered card collecting.

I am a Magician

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2018
When I got my first magic kit, I was so excited!
My love for magic expanded when I started seeing David Blaine, David Copperfield, and Penn and Teller on youtube or even in live performances!

Leo-P-64

Elite Member
Feb 16, 2018
When my brother taught my the riffle shuffle, I thought might as well learn magic tricks with it too, my first trick I learned was a Chris Angel trick (that's what my brother said)

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
David Copperfield vanishes the State of Liberty in 1983, when I was six. I watched, awestruck.

Then promptly forgot about it until his next special. Or Penn & Teller. Or, whomever.

Year after year after year, this happens.

Until 2006, when I by chance happen upon David Blaine's attempted breath-hold event on television. How I missed all his previous specials, I don't know. But I watch, interested. More curious than before. It was, I see now, not only the right time, but I was also (and this is important) in the right mind to watch and witness it.

Unsure where to go with this newly reborn interest, I stumble (no coincidences?) on a remaindered (a hardcover book marked down after a paperback edition is released) of Blaine's Mysterious Stranger. A book that contains a most beautiful thing.

A "Suggested Reading" list. That was all I needed. Tracking down one book that led to another. And then another.

And then, another still.

And it's been further and further down the rabbit hole ever since then. A wonderful education that never ends.

And that's how it happened for me.

Thank you for reading.

EricR5

Elite Member
Jul 18, 2015
For me, it came when my kids got bit by the magic bug. First magic was a way to connect with them, then I found I really liked it myself!

Oct 10, 2017
A magic book when I was a kid in the 60's. Did a few simple tricks and moved on like kids do. 50+ years later, I have a new hobby. Having a great deal of fun.

Nov 1, 2016
A few years back when the SS16 Virtuoso cards where just about to drop, I had a really good friend who was into magic. I had no idea what cardistry was, but I had been doing little tricks my whole life. Well, this friend loved playing cards, and we would go around buying cool decks at grocery stores. Then one day, I come over and he excitedly tells me about "the Virts". I was super intrigued, and wanted to know what was up! So we watched the video that came out just before the cards were released. Do you guys remember that one? The eye-catching yellows, the 4-foot anacondas, the dramatic tag-team flourishes where they toss packets to one another, the insane serpentines, the wonderful spins, crazy flicker shots, and awesome dudes looking totally sick as they do it all. Man. I was STUNNED. I had no idea that people could do, or even think about doing, something like that! Right then and there my friend bought his SS16's. The day they came, he called me over and we opened them up. It was the first deck we had ever touched that wasn't Bicycle or Tally Ho. It was amazing. I didn't have a job at the time, so I scrimped and saved 'till I could finally buy my own. Boy, those were the days. Simply holding that deck made me feel like I was on the top of the world. It made me love cards, magic, cardistry, life, myself, and sharing this love with others! To this day I still have that really beat up deck. It still glides like it's about a month old, and the yellow is a tad faded, but man. That deck will forever be my first card love.

rob_tabris

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2011
Some years ago, being already watched his performances hundreds of times, I watch a Youtube video of Dani DaOrtiz performing like half an hour impromptu card magic sitting in the streets surrounded by ten or so young magicians, like he was sitting having a coffee and these kids came to say hello and he started to perform... MAN! That was pure magic!!! Not only for the effects, but for the free spirit surrounding that table and those people getting amazed once and once again through those 30 minutes...

Is it storytime? It's storytime.
I remember seeing David Blaine holding his breath on TV when I was a kid. That was my first true exposer to an actual magician that wasn't in a cartoon. I eventually moved on and didn't think about magic till last summer. I was going out to Ohio to visit my sister and to meet her friends. Due to the fact I am a very awkward individual, I wanted some way to impress them. So I looked up "Bar Tricks" for whatever reason, and I accidentally came across "Scam School" with Brian Brushwood. I learned a lot of Bar closers to get a free drink with a lot of coin puzzles and ignored the card tricks, but then it happened: an ad came up for Penn and Teller's Master Class. So I looked them up, found fool us, and I marathoned as many videos as I could while learning card tricks from Brushwood. I later found Chris Ramsey and Alex Pandrea, and they got me to learn a few basic Cardisty moves, but I decided I'd let the people with the better coordination take that up. I still dabble, but the discovery of Cardisty made me fall in love with cards, to the point I now have a collection in my room.
A month later, I was showing tricks to my friends at my college and constantly bring in new ones to show them. The actual moment I fell in love and made me see this more as a hobby was when I did a trick for the one person who would always call out what I did. He'd be blown away at first, but then he'd go on how I did it. This trick, which I'm going to call "Jim's Hindu Mini Whisper" stumped him. He freaked out in the best way. That was the moment I fell in love.

Sep 25, 2018
Hi all,

I actually first fell in love with Cardistry. I always knew about magic, but when I saw a news article about Cardistry about 2 years ago, I knew I wanted to try it. I learned a lot of flourishes and fans and all kinds of epic cuts.

About 3 months ago, I started magic, and I absolutely fell in love with it. My first trick (Aside from making a card disappear) was “T-Rex” by Ran Pink. I performed it for an audience, and they loved it just as much as I did. Since then, I have created my own trick and have learned too many card tricks to count

Zeede

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2018
My son loves watching America's Got Talent, and there have been a lot more magicians on there, what with Mat Franco and Shin Lim winning, and I started watching a few YouTube videos to learn a few basic tricks and just fell in love with how it brightened his day and made him smile and laugh.

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
I fell in love with close up magic when I saw David Copperfield's grandpa aces trick many years ago. For months I tried to learn it and in the end I think I figured out parts of it. I still am mesmerized by that trick whenever I watch it on YT. Here's my version of it. I never learned it the right way so I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly

Sep 11, 2007
On my 7 years old birthday , my dad buy me a Japan comic book name "Ultimate Magician". I fall in love with magic because I try to do the card trick teach in the comic book , it have super outcome , everyone feel unbelievable and happy after I perform. Then , I start discover card magic until now.

MickaelD

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2019
When i was about 7 or 8 years old, i saw David Copperfield on TV and Loved it.
I thought magic was real and hung on to that thought for a while.

Then when i was 10, my mom asked me what i wanted for x-mas.
i was hesitating between a big RC truck or a nice winter jacket.

my mom told me it was one or the other because i was only getting one gift that year.
then when x-mas came , i opened my gift and it turned out to be a beginner's magic kit.
Mom asked me if i was disappointed i dint get what i asked for and i wasn't.
i absolutly loved what i got.

turns out we each got 2 gifts and my mom tricked me into thinking another box was a gift for my step dad.
...it was my RC truck. I was glad i got it. but i never played with it much, went all out on that magic kit instead.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
I don’t know my age, but near 12ish years old I was Watching Copperfield on tv with my family. David always made tricks seem really big no matter how small they are and this time he was performing crazy man handcuffs... I was amazed. My dad smiled at my reaction then proceeded to perform the same trick with us, I was doubly amazed having it happen right in front of me.

Pretty sure that was awesome for him! My dad knew a little magic and had a few books but up until then I never took much of an interest in it. After that I messed around with magic off and on for a few years until taking it up more seriously in my 30s.

Jul 6, 2019
First time, when I was a kid watching David Copperfield on TV, this was the early-mid 90s so he wasn't really doing the super big stuff anymore, but I still loved watching it. Also, kind of ironically I guess, watching those Masked Magician specials on Fox, which really helped me realize how do-able a lot of this stuff was and that you didn't have to be some rich dude with a TV deal to do impressive things.

kappmen

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2011
I began to get involved in magic tricks after I saw the trick of 3 cards monte. I really liked him and from that moment the cards are always with me)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results