Saturday Night Contest - Falling In Love

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
Been a 1980's kid, it was in i think 95 or 96 when I first saw a couple of david Copperfield's specials on VHS. I was totally mesmerized by it and I kept that VHS with me for years and used to watch it on weekends. Then after a few years my VCR broke and I completely forgot about magic for many years. It was in 2004 i think I again remembered about david Copperfield and magic and started googling things and thats how I came across theory11 and other websites. Have to admit living in a country Pakistan where you cant even get a bicycle deck, getting started in magic was very tough, and have to admit I started from YouTube. I learned a few basic tricks from youtube first and then a friend from abroad gave me a dvd that had a triumph trick, i learned it but found out that I couldn't do it with the local printed plastic playing cards, so It was then when I first ordered online for a few bikes. I remember my first order was a few bikes from other site and Panic from theory11. From that day my journey began. And if you ask for what trick that got me into magic then I would say it was the triumph trick.

Apr 16, 2015
My fascination with Magic started when I was a young kid watching a magic show on t.v. The biggest effect that fooled me was actually a snap change! When I actually started learning magic I only started it because my girlfriend suggested as a joke for me to pass the time. But I really fell in love with it as soon as I started doing research and practicing. I loved the idea of using a deck of cards to create some serious wonder, and the amazing reactions you could elicit from such small objects. I loved dedicating myself to one sleight and the hours of practice and goes behind the scenes. All the stuff the spectators don't see! :)

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
I fell in love with magic after learning it.
I learnt tricks because I was bored, but I wasn't really into magic until I performed one of them to a friend of mine. I could see her eyes sparkle, and the feeling of astonishment that I created made me fall in love with magic.

Jan 31, 2016
All my life I have been obsessed with science, and it just so happened that science lead me to magic. Here in Australia we have a kid’s science convention type thing every year, and every year they get a magician to preform there. It was my first magic show, and I was entranced. The man was very funny, and I can clearly remember him ‘accidentally’ setting a barbecue on fire and the making a bird fly out from the flames. The magic thing seem to be a success the first year, so for the following year the owners decided to get a magician to sell magic sets. I was one of those kids who wanted to be a magician too so I immediately begged my parents to allow me to buy something.

At home, my mother showed me a deck of cards which she magically made all the same, a trick I now know as the Svengali deck. My first performance was at show and tell, were we were told to show a magic trick to my class. I brought to school a fake guillotine, and made my teacher very nervous when it came time for me to stand up and cut her finger off. The reaction was incredible, and I then knew I wanted to be an entertainer.

Alas, life and school got in the way of magic and I soon became too busy for magic. About 4 years later I saw an episode of Breaking the Magician's Code, and soon after that, Dynamo became popular. My interest in magic grew once again, and with that I was offered to do a magic show for a teacher appreciation day. Suddenly I wanted to be a magician again and this time I was going to work hard at it. After going through all the magic books in the library (well, most of them), I wanted to try something new. That’s when I met theory 11. One of the first things I noticed when browsing The Wire was this word- cardistry. I did some research and instantly fell in love with it immediately. And that my friends is the love story of me and magic.

Stu-pendous

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, Australia
www.facebook.com
The first bit of magic I saw was very young, Sherri Lewis and lamb chops taught some rope magic, I was fascinated. I often performed these little tricks for my family.

But what truely pulled me in was seeing Rudy Coby's 'coolest magician on earth' special once that aired I was hooked. I always wanted to perform the human blockhead and now it features a lot in my geek magic sets.

Rudy was probably my biggest inspiration growing up. In my small Australian town I didn't live near anny magicians or similar things so that was all I had to go on. And now that I'm performing professionally I'm the coolest magician on earth! (According to my daughter at least)

marcopaso

Elite Member
Jun 15, 2014
Here in Italy magic isn't as popular as I think it is in other countries. In fact there are only two or three magic shops in the entire country! But what really gave me the spark was a kid magic show in my town.

At the end of the show the magician let us (the kids) go on stage and examine all the different props (strange thing, isn't it?) and even if I knew that there must have been something gimmicked I didn't find anything.

This sense of wonder gave me the inspiration to start grabbing a deck of cards and practicing some basic tricks and techniques. Then for unknown reasons I left magic, to dedicate myself to other hobbies.

2-3 years ago I found magic again, and it became so important as an hobby. Now I prefer to create and experiment my own pieces of art, even if I keep using and practicing the essentials.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
I fell in love with card magic around the time of my first discharge from the hospital in Watertown, NY. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia which was to say the least not very surprising. I picked up a deck of blue monarchs almost three years ago, right here from theory11.com. I will have to admit I did start learning from YouTube(Mismag822 to be exact) videos but corrected myself eventually using books. My first book I believe was The Encylopedia of Card Magic by Hugard and Crimmins. From there I just started collecting books. I have enough material to keep me busy for a lifetime. I have also purchased many videos off of theory11.com website which I listed in another thread. I shuffle my cards everyday practicing what's appropriately known as "Up The Ladder". I think of everyday as a knew opportunity to practice and hone my card handling abilities. So, yeah there is my love story. Good luck to all other participants.

Aug 3, 2015
I remember myself browsing YouTube and learning some simple tricks that required no moves. Then when I showed it to my friends, parents, grandparents - It were the reactions that got me into magic. And then I got more and more into it when I had difficulities with learning moves like pinkie count, some false shuffles/cuts.

neilvinzon

Elite Member
Jun 29, 2014
Philippines
I am a cardist. I started with magic way back 2010 and also learned the basics of cardistry around that period. As far as I can remember, the moment I fell inlove with cardistry was when I watched Virtuoso Reintroduction video.

Alz

Jan 18, 2014
Latvia
Actually i felt inlove with magic not when i saw somebody perform tricks, but actually when i did it first time.
I wanted to suprise my gf with something just for no reason (cuz i dont like to be boring) and find in youtube one magic trick (we loved to play different card games) , but unfortunely we broke up before i learned... so i showed this trick to my friends... and when ive saw their reactions, how their were amazed and their delight i realized that magic isnt about doing a trick, its about bringing new emotions and feelings.
Thats how i got inloved with magic, by giving bright emotions of something impossible to people :)

Walleyemaster34

Elite Member
May 30, 2015
I've had a love of Magic ever since I saw David Copperfield on a TV special. But the love was as a spectator until my first trip to the Mall of America. There was a magic shop in there which is now no longer. My dad bought me an invisible deck. That was it. Almost all of what I did was with a deck of cards. I didn't know there was such a world of Card magic. TV specials had the magicians sawing women in half and making an elephant disappear. For years I basically practiced card retention and dealing from anywhere in the deck. I would supplement my allowance money during road trips out of town in high school. I am still in love with card magic.

May 3, 2015
Well, it began almost a year before. While I liked magic and playing cards, I've never thought about trying this. And somewhere in February-March last year me and my friend started learning magic. We've started with simple tricks which involved double lift and so on. Soon I've discovered such thing as cardistry. I've made a charlier cut first (I remember I've watched a tutorial on it about 2 years ago by an accident). Then I've learned moves from Genesis by Andrei Jikh and so on. Now I almost don't learn magic but cardistry.

Mar 7, 2015
A few years ago I stumbled across David Blaine's first street special on YouTube and absolutely loved it. I don't remember ever consciously deciding that I wanted to be a magician, I immediately started learning. The part of magic I love the most is the wonder and amazement at how a trick is possible.

Dec 7, 2014
Believe it or not, the movie Now You See Me is actually what got me started in magic/cardistry. I've always been interested in magic, but never acted on it. When I discovered the trailer for Now You See Me, I was so excited that there was going to be a movie about magic (featuring such a great cast!) that I saw it with my family as soon as it came out. Immediately after returning home after the movie, I went on YouTube to find out how to do the opening trick of the movie. Before I knew it, it had turned 1:00 A.M. and I had been up for hours watching tens of tutorial videos. The next day, I searched up "playing cards" on Google and was absolutely mesmerized by the beautiful custom cards that you guys at Theory11 produced. Within a couple hours, basically my whole life had changed. To this day, I've learned a bunch of tricks, purchased multiple custom decks, watched pretty much every magic-related video out there, discovered so many amazing magicians, and most importantly, I found something in life that I was truly passionate about. I even wrote my entire college essay about my journey with magic. I mean, who would've thought that a single movie would make such a difference?

MikeK1

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2015
When I first got into magic it had to be when I saw David Blaines special on TV. When I saw it, it changed my life in many ways. With myself getting into magic so was my friend. Then we both started doing tricks in school and we got great responses. Then eventually I discovered Theory11. When I found Theory11 it changed my aspect towards magic forever. It teached me the true meaning of magic. Today I can say proudly that David Blaines special and Theory11 changed my life forever. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Mar 14, 2015
Washington
Undoubtedly, this is one of the most vivid memories I have. When I was younger, maybe 5 or 6, I was in Hawai'i on our way coming home and there was this employee helping people with their bags. It was a slower day, only a few cars had come and gone, and he decided to come over to me and entertain what must've seemed like a little kid getting petulant about bags taking a little too long to be checked. He took out a single playing card and with a flick of his hand it vanished. Craziest thing I'd ever seen. Now with the experience and knowledge I know it was a backpalm (ironically one of the hardest tricks for me to do today), but back then I was stupefied. I didn't start doing magic until about a year and a half ago but if I hadn't seen that one man I'm not sure if I would have ever developed that interest in magic that has now evolved into a love today.

The story is bittersweet. He was such a big inspiration to me and I'll never be able to tell him how grateful I am that he took pity on a little kid's boredom. The biggest lesson that story has taught me is that no matter how little impact you might think you have, you could change someone's life just by a simple act of kindness.

Happy Valentine's Day guys, hope you spend it with great people or great cards.

Dec 20, 2013
actually i will not say why i got in to magic like every one hereo_O

the main reason i think is why i love magic
because the way that the magicians thinks
it's not like normal people
i love how i started see stuff in a new way
stuff normal people don't realize
magic is like "Math Matters" for me
when i see it i can't stop thinking until i solve it:cool:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results