Saturday Night Contest - Optical Deception!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope you all are having a great weekend! Our most recent release is by a man that needs no introduction - Calen Morelli. That project is called Optical Deceptions. These effects were designed for this moment in time - specifically created to be presented on Instagram, YouTube, Facetime, and Zoom. These are optical illusions that trick the eye into believing the unbelievable.

Using YouTube, Vimeo, or Instagram, your job is to make a video of an optical illusion. It can be any type of illusion; floating card or deck, coins standing on each other by the edges, you name it. The only rule is that you cannot use any special video editing to accomplish your optical illusion. You can use any method you like, as long as it does not use touching or editing in any way. Also, we will only accept NEW submissions - any old videos will not be counted.

Once you have taken a video of your optical illusion, post the link to it in response to THIS forum thread by no later than 11:00pm EST tomorrow, Sunday, June 14th. After time is up, we will go through all submissions and decide on a winner.

The winner will be decided based on overall creativity and execution; make sure the composition is right for your illusion and make it unique. If you follow that criteria, you have a better shot of winning! Granted, your illusion does not have to be 100% original. You can use Richard Wiseman's videos on Quirkology as inspiration, this cool video of anamorphic illusions, and anything else you can find.

What can you win this week? 1,000 Elite Member Points, Optical Deceptions by Calen Morelli (both videos), and a deck of Gold Artisans, shipped on the house, anywhere in the world.

We look forward to seeing your optical illusions!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Aristotilean

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2018
Great submissions thus far, here is mine! Had a great time making this today, and I probably spent a little more time trying out different methods than I’d like to admit. Even have a few ideas to make it cleaner for when I try it out with some friends when I get some different materials. Just an FYI, the music in the background is an instrumental version of “Castle on a Cloud” from Les Mis ;)

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
This took all afternoon, but I'm super happy with the end result. Apologies for the video quality, I shot it in 4K but Instagram's compression is horrible. No video editing used. Enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBbf0Wnn8RC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Congrats RK! We have chosen your entry as the winner for this week's contest! We really like the idea behind the method of this, was an original take on this idea, and the execution was great. Please contact our support team so we can get your prize out to you ASAP!

We would also like to give an honorable mention to Sriram.13 for his entry as it made it incredibly close. Great work to everyone!

See you all on Saturday for a new contest!

Jun 3, 2020

I just filmed this 50 min ago and uploaded it now :( I still figured I would share it with you all because I'm very proid of it. It's my first ever posted video, first ever attempt at a Sat. Night contest, using my first nice deck of cards, and my first time posting in this forum. I hope you all enjoy and I hope I can become part of this awesome new card loving family.

RKMagic

Elite Member
May 14, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Congrats RK! We have chosen your entry as the winner for this week's contest! We really like the idea behind the method of this, was an original take on this idea, and the execution was great. Please contact our support team so we can get your prize out to you ASAP!

We would also like to give an honorable mention to Sriram.13 for his entry as it made it incredibly close. Great work to everyone!

See you all on Saturday for a new contest!
Thanks so much Casey! This week's contest was such a fun one!

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results