Saturday Night Contest - Resolutions For 2017

Oct 18, 2015
2016 has been an amazing year, in terms of the magic that I've seen and gotten a chance to perform! Instead of just watching others do their thing, I've gotten the chance to perform at live events, throw together a short cardistry video, and even attend a magic lecture for the first time (<3 Tannen's and Cardshark!). I've developed a huge love of ring magic, both gaffed and ungaffed! (Odyssey for the win!)

In 2017, I hope to put my own spin on some of the effects that I've seen! No matter what, I want to try my hand at mentalism and to continue to learn more and more magic! Let's see what the new year has in store!

Dec 31, 2015
Though I began my journey through magic and cardistry in 2015, I don't feel like I truly began doing it right until around October of this year, 2016. It was in the latter half of 2016 that I resolved to basically restart the learning process of cardistry and magic entirely fresh by returning the bare essentials and learning the basics that I'd foolishly ignored early on. By October, I started to feel like I had gotten a foundation built before attempting to build a house that could only crumble. Towards the last few months, in addition to entirely changing my approach to magic and cardistry, I also changed my entire way of thinking. I began to see things in a different light, look for opportunities, and get into the hunt for self improvement. This change in mentality has led me towards creating much better content, having a brighter outlook on everything, and all around allowed me to make immense improvements to who I am and what I do. To this sense, this is what I will remember 2016 as; the year that awakened the quest for self improvement. Putting it even simpler, I started magic and cardistry as just a hobby, something to begin conversations, and something just for fun. One year later, the journey it has taken me on, and the improvements it's made in my life cannot be overstated.

Looking ahead at 2017, I haven't the slightest idea where this road will take me. All I know is that if it's anything like the last three months of 2016, 2017 will be at least four times better. My hope is to continue expanding my knowledge of both magic and cardistry in the coming year. In addition to learning new things, I plan to get even better at the fundamentals I already know, and eventually provide content teaching the basics how I hoped to learn them. Hopes for 2017 are not something that I feel can be truly defined, but given the work in progress here is a basic idea of the places I hope to go:

I hope to improve all of my content, up my game, and provide more value with my thoughts and tutorials. In addition, given that I've begun a 365 Project on my Instagram, I'm hoping that the project will result in me becoming better at photography, and hopefully even boosting my creativity. Also, greater self improvement is a must. Also, getting to 1,000 subscribers on YouTube would be quite nice ;)

Aside from this, I look forward to the connections, success, improvements, and just everything positive that this journey will bring into my life. It's been an explosive closeout to 2016, and I plan for 2017 to be much bigger, much better, and most importantly, much happier.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
It sounds dumb, but in 2016 (just the other day, in fact), I finally learned how to open a deck of cards well.

This was actually an enormous deal for me.

In 2017, I have a ton of resolutions written out. But one of the main ones, one that I'm going to focus on most, is seeing as much live magic as I possibly can.

For as long as I've loved it, I've seen FAR too few live performances. It's almost always been on television, always on the Internet. I want the live experience. The part that sets your heart on fire when you see something done so well, and you just don't know how.

Or, if you do know (because, hey. Magicians), it's still so good when it happens. You forget everything else. It's just that moment.

I want more of that.

So, I'm going to go chase it.

Happy New Year, everyone. And thank you for reading :D.

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
I've been 'playing around' with magic for a few years now. Just learning tricks..rather than the sleights and principles. It all began with the vanishing and reappearing toothpick trick.
I've been diagnosed with an illness that has prevented me from working. It's been since then that I have begun learning the history and respecting the art and artists. Royal Road and EATCT have become near biblical for me.
For this coming year, I'd like to perform for strangers, maybe start a YouTube channel of performances...because we all need more of those lol.
Thank you to everyone on here for helping me grow as a magician. Take care, happy new year and I'll post the first video soon.
Cheers!

Oct 10, 2015
2016 will hold a spot in my heart as the year that I really discovered magic as an art form. It holds the memory of the first magic trick I performed with a purpose.

2017 holds the excitement of being the year that magic finds a role in my life. I look forward to the joy that not only I can find in it, but I especially look forward to the joy and wonder that I can bring to others. I look foward to finding that "magic", within the art of magic.

That being said, my resolution for the new year is to explore magic, and myself within it. But I know that having a specific goal is beneficial, so I am setting a resolution to practice and master 3 tricks. I'm not sure if that is considered an easy feat to accomplish, but I feel that it would be an attainable goal and a good first step. To have 3 go to, stand by, reliable, "for sure thing" tricks.

I look foward to making new friends in the magic community and having Theory 11 to begin my journey in magic!

Dec 31, 2016
I've been into cardistry for a few years now but this year I started practising daily, and I feel like I've improved massively.

For 2017, I want to start experimenting more with my own flourishes and also start learning some card magic, as I've exclusively focused on cardistry since I began.

Oct 10, 2015
It sounds dumb, but in 2016 (just the other day, in fact), I finally learned how to open a deck of cards well.

This was actually an enormous deal for me.

In 2017, I have a ton of resolutions written out. But one of the main ones, one that I'm going to focus on most, is seeing as much live magic as I possibly can.

For as long as I've loved it, I've seen FAR too few live performances. It's almost always been on television, always on the Internet. I want the live experience. The part that sets your heart on fire when you see something done so well, and you just don't know how.

Or, if you do know (because, hey. Magicians), it's still so good when it happens. You forget everything else. It's just that moment.

I want more of that.

So, I'm going to go chase it.

Happy New Year, everyone. And thank you for reading :D.
I think that is an AWESOME goal to have! Just this year I got to see The Illusionists perform! It really helped kickstart me to want to perform!

photo.php
2016 was surprisingly a great year for me in terms of magic. I attended my first Penguin Live Lecture and met Dan Harlan and Jeff Stone. I fulfilled a fantasy/goal of mine with getting a shout out on Expose with the release of No Pressure on the Marketplace. I joined a magic club at my university and got to build my skills and patter. I was able to do a parlour show for handicapped youth at a camp and got to perform at a woman's birthday party. I went to my first magic convention and got to perform No Pressure for Eric Ross as well as meet Scott Alexander, Puck, Bizarro, Dan Sperry, Jay Mattioli, and Nick Diffate. But by far the coolest thing that has happened in 2016 was getting asked by Joaquin Ayala to assist him in his closing act for the magic convention. I got to hang out with him, his assistant, and Jessica Reed of the FISM competing Reed Sisters act. Working with Ayala gave me a hunger for performing and getting better at this art than never before.

My goal in 2017 is to recapture that high that I got assisting Ayala. I'm off to a good start. I will be headlining my first solo stage act that I have been crafting for the last two years. It will be a make or break moment for me so I have been working diligently with my team and rehearsing almost every week since we got it green-lit in December. This stage show has been pushing me to my limits and consuming all of my energy but I absolutely love it and I'm very happy with how the script turned out. A big thank you to Theory11 and all of the creators that put together effects I can use to tell this story I want to share with others.

I wish you all the best of fortunes in this new year. Thank you all for being so good to me in 2016.

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
First of all happy new year to everyone. Though I might be not as skilled as others here, but 2016 was the year I realized knowing quantity of tricks doesn't matter its the quality of the tricks that matter. 2016 was the year I finally started to accept that a good magician is not the one who knows a lot of tricks but its the one who can do small set of tricks perfectly every time for different set of groups, and based on this understanding that you'll only get abt 3 to 5 mins as a magician to make an impression, 2016 was the year I started to develop sets of 3 tricks that I could do for different set of crowds (something that might help for walk around). And one of the resolutions for 2017 for me is to further develop my three trick sets and incorporate more material into these sets that are not card tricks.
Recently in an online interview Kozmo said you can only get good in magic until you work, whether you standing in a line at a store or in a park or etc, these are opportunities to learn and you can't learn until you work, so based on this wisdom another resolution for 2017 is to always have something magic related on me and never miss the opportunity to show magic wherever its possible.
Last resolution for 2017 but not the least is to win a skill based SNC

Oct 8, 2016
In 2016, I got into magic and cardistry. Magic and cardistry has helped my life a lot. It has given me something to do anywhere and anytime, which made it a hobby for me. So like most of you guys, I begun carrying a deck of cards everywhere I went. In 2016, I realized that what matters in magic isn't the complexity, but the quality of the effect, and how far your reactions can go.
This year, I wish to expand my repertoire of tricks and effects, and to improve my packet cuts.

faizpardesi

Elite Member
Jun 11, 2016
Dubai, UAE
2016 has been an amazing year, in relation to cards and magic. I finally got back into the art after a 5 year break and have fallen in love with it all over again, borderline addicted.
For the very first time, I've started approaching people and performing and the feeling you get watching someone get blown away; makes all the hours so very worth it.

In 2017, I hope to perform even more and practice all of my moves and routines to perfection. I want to get them down perfectly so I can focus on patter and performance. Thank you theory11 for aiding me in this journey.

Happy new year y'all!

antoferra

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2014
Italy
2016 for me was not a particular year in magic; but I still made some progress that I'm quite proud of. I have finally memorized the mnemonica stack, created a presentation of ACR I actually like, and understood what kind of magic I want to perform. In June I also met Bizzaro and Casshan Wallace, who impressed me with their friendliness and their creative and fun approach to magic.
This year I will try to create a repertoire of 9 card tricks I really like, and I'm thinking of dividing them in three routines (with at least one of them made up of only impromptu tricks)

CJK

Jan 16, 2016
US
www.youtube.com
2016 was a bummed out year. The election result I truly didn't care. Because 2016 is the aftermath year of 2015. People who I trusted betrayed me. People who I thought were my friend deserted me, and lastly my closest friend past away at the middle of it all. I went into a small depression often thought of dark things. Then I though of my friend. 2014 was the year I started doing card tricks. The basics like doing the ambitious card tricks and planing cards. My friend absolutely loved and swore he will figure it out. He never did, but his face of see and intrigue began to cheer me up. I studied and read a couple of new tricks, even bought Smoke 2.0, I showed them to every person I met. They all loved it. The smiles and joy it brought was the greatest gift I could give. I especially loved doing tricks when someone was sad, just to make them smile just for a second. This year, I have vastly improved my knowledge and uses of magic. The art which helped me in the year 2016, and should make other people smile in 2017

2016 is the year that most changed my life ever.

I've always been a shy guy, but today, thanks to my girl and my passion for magic, I feel that something has changed.
Magic, as well as my girlfriend, teached me how to approach with people better and to make new friends.
I'm really satisfied, because today i'm not longer afraid to show someone who i really am!

I'll continue improving my knowledge in this because i think that is going to be very helpful for the future.
Also i would like to thank this community that brought me into this beautiful world :)

Happy new year!

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
My my my, what a crazy year it's been. I love my magic, anyone who knows me, knows I'm super duper crazy about it. But I'm also an avid playing card collector. This year, I have assisted my friend in launching the Sishou Playing Cards brand (some of you may have heard of it). My good friend, Alvin Cheung, originally had put this out a couple of years go, but was unsuccessful with the campaign. I then got in touch and almost begged him to relaunch. I helped him with the business side of things and design ideas thus Sishou was reborn, and it followed with 3 additional successful projects.
2017, I'm hoping to carry this on, but with my solo project in mind.
From a magic POV, I did my first gig at my friend's wedding which was so freakin' awesome, just wish I had charged her for it haha. Again, I'm hoping to build myself up and start doing more public events like conventions and coporate.

Here's to a New Year, may everyone's year consist of much love and happiness.

Dec 31, 2014
For my resolutions, I hope to get more into cardistry and magic like I used to be. My school studies have taken up so much time and whenever I pick up a deck of cards, I remember how fun it was to do cardistry and magic. I really want to get back into this incredible art form and hobby. Theory 11 has helped inspire this, with these contests and all the amazing products they come out with. Thank you to everyone who makes this hobby possible, and here's to a fantastic 2017.

kappmen

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2011
2016 I learned to do a couple of new tricks, and added to his collection of playing cards.
This year, too, it would be desirable to learn new tricks with cards and buy even more decks of playing cards for my collection.

Fox13

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2014
2016 marks my second full year of learning cardistry. Moves are finally becoming more comfortable, and more fun to perform, but there is still a lot to learn and smooth out. I got about halfway through Ladislas’ Outbreak, and started learning Dealersgrip stuff like that big thing. Magicwise I worked on sleights mostly but put magic performing on the back burner.

Goals for 2017: expand my cardistry repertoire starting with NB3, Cylinder, Reanimation, Mockingbird and Waterwheel. Magic: work on a limited number of sleights like classic and top cover pass, gravity half pass, side transfer and side steal.

Dec 5, 2014
Philippines
In 2016 I met a lot of magic friends and some popular magicians in our country, do magic shows for charity, have a chance to watch the greatest movie of all time, Now You See Me 2, learn some new stuffs and join a talent contest in our school, even though with did not win, it was still a great opportunity for me. And there are so many great things happened in 2016 that I cant mention all of them.
Indeed 2016 is such a a great and productive year for my magic career but 2017 would be a lot better for sure. My goals for 2017 is to create my own effects and routines, attend magic and cardistry convention and lectures, meet some new magicians, do my own shows, real shows where I get paid and lastly win a Saturday Night Contest.

PS: Sorry for my bad english. HahahaHappy New Year Everyone!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results