Saturday Night Contest - Resolutions for 2024!

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great weekend! As 2023 comes to a close, we were reminded of everything we have done over the past year and where it has gotten us heading into the new year. It's always exciting to begin a new year, so first and foremost, Happy New Year from all of us at theory11!

We want to know - in your own words - what you feel you have accomplished over this last year (2023) in magic, cardistry, or card collecting. Some of you may have performed your first show, others may have come up with a cool idea or concept that found its way into your repertoire, or maybe you just discovered the art or card collecting and want to share how it's impacted your life. The contest tonight is simple - tell us about it.

In addition, we want to know what your resolutions are for this next year - 2024. What are your goals? What would you like to see yourself accomplish in magic, cardistry, or card collecting over the coming year? We want to hear about it!

Because this is a written contest, everyone of you is free to participate. Submissions should be posted as responses to this thread - and all entries must be in by tomorrow, Sunday, December 31st at 11:59pm EST for judging. We will review the posts and announce the winner (selected at random) once time is up. Note that submissions can vary in length - but are limited to 500 words, maximum.

The winner takes home 1,000 Elite Member Points, a deck of Gold Artisans, and 3 Decks of your choice (they have to currently be in stock), and 6 spins on the Eleven of Spades Wheel.

We look forward to reading through all of your accomplishments, aspirations, thoughts, and goals!

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
First and foremost, Happiest of New Year's to everyone here. I marvel at how long Theory11 has been a part of my life, and it feels almost like these forums, the decks, the various magic... like it's an almost an invisible appendage. That it's just so much a part of me. And for that, no matter what, I remain very, very grateful.

Accomplishments for 2023? I'm not sure there are words for it, to be honest. The best way I can describe it is... magic has helped me discover more of who I am. I think we all maybe start out wanting to be like our heroes, you know? We learn their effects, the ones that make our heart sing, as we share them with the world. And that's an essential step. Imitation proceeds creation.

This year, though, I feel like I've shed some of that "skin," and emerged more as myself in performance. I've been writing more, which I am immensely grateful for. I realize some things I like to perform may not be "popular" or "in vogue" at the moment. But now, I don't care so much.

I'd rather be an original and fail, then an imitation and succeed.

So, that was 2023. A "runner-up" for my favorite accomplishment this year was getting to see Mario "The Maker Magician" Marchese show live and in person. He played here in Michigan this past August, and I happened to have the day off at my day job, so of course I went. And it. Was. Extraordinary. Just a pure shot of 200 proof, Grade-A JOY. And I'm so thankful that I went, as the last couple of months have been a bit challenging (my older sister passed, some family member's health is failing). So it's been a nice, and gratifying memory to revisit often.

My only plan for 2024 is to explore and play in the mentalism "sandbox." It's one aspect of magic that I've not really gone in depth on, and I'm both excited and curious to discover whatever I discover. So, I'm looking forward to that. As for any other goals, I love what one might call Mario Marchese's "Credo:"

Do what you love.

Use what you have.

And most of all, have fun.

That's more than good enough for me. Thanks for reading, and best of luck to everyone in their new year endeavors!

Sleck

Elite Member
Nov 26, 2017
Meeting Dan & Dave Buck in person was my accomplishment of the year! 😃

Hoping to attend a cardistry con for the first time next year!

Reactions: PeterB69

Amit R.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Since the start of the school year, I’ve had trouble finding time to practice magic. During this holiday break, I’ve been able to spend my first hours practicing and actually performing a trick for family in quite a while.

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
This year was more of what I hoped for from last years resolution both with my family and magic. We have settled into our new city pretty well and grew some roots, new friends and a dog! I’ve been performing in casual situations more and have had lots of fun doing that.

This year, like last year, Im looking to build off of last year’s good stuff. I’m job seeking (still employed just wanting a change) and want to keep my hobbies growing too. So this year’s resolution will be for me to carve out time for me in a healthy way so work doesn’t seep into my free time. I can add to my magic hobby by reclaiming some of my ill spent free time too. That means this years resolution is to use my free time better; a healthier work life balance plus some good habit building concerning the free time I already have.

Easy to say but hard to do without specific ideas. So I need to carve out some time…For that time I can reduce my social media use (still maintain time for my buddies across the oceans and in other states/cities…just less doom scrolling). I’m already job searching so that will fix some of my work issues when I get a different job. But what to do with my magic time…more book time for starters!

My current job has me working same time a book club I used to enjoy. Hopefully it won’t be long before I can rejoin that again. Also I will finally start a project that long interested me…Giobbi’s book Sharing Secrets is 52 ideas to improve your magic. I plan to take a concept a week and apply it to my repertoire while I practice that week.

This years resolution is a tad more specific than my last couple resolutions but I think it’s achievable goals; new job, better spent social media, re-read and apply one book to my practice time.

Happy new year everyone!

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
My New Year's resolution is to ...

Collection: collect all the Infinity Stones in regards to the Avengers decks. Please release all the colours!

Sleights – working on DPS.

Cardistry – working on pincho.

Performance – working on less nervousness and more original routines.

Reactions: JoshL8 and PeterB69

PeterC9

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2017
This year has been quiet a ride for me. Children moving around, magic items being lost then found, preparing for late retirement next year at 71... maybe...wife changing work environment's etc and boxes of magic to sort out....categorise etc etc.
Next year I just want to take it easy...one thing at a time...don't rush and just enjoy life. Take care and be well everyone...enjoy those around you...life is much shorter than you think...Peter from Oz

DavidL1121

Elite Member
Jan 22, 2021
2023 Reflection:
In the realm of card collecting, the past year has been a fascinating journey of exploration and appreciation. Throughout 2023, I've immersed myself in the captivating world of playing cards, discovering nuances that have transformed this hobby into a passion that enriches my life in profound ways.

My exploration of card collecting began with an introduction to the artistry embedded within each deck. The intricate designs, diverse themes, and meticulous craftsmanship unveiled a realm where every card deck tells a unique story. This revelation propelled me to amass a collection that is not just an assortment of cards but a gallery of meticulously curated masterpieces.

The impact of card collecting on my life transcends mere admiration for aesthetics. It's become a window into history, culture, and artistry. Each deck I acquire is not just an addition but a treasure trove of stories waiting to be unraveled.

2024 Resolutions:
Looking forward to 2024, my resolutions in the realm of card collecting are centered around deepening my understanding and expanding the horizons of this passion.

I aim to delve further into the historical significance of playing cards, seeking out rare editions and exploring the stories behind them. This pursuit will not only add depth to my collection but also allow me to appreciate the cultural and historical heritage woven into every card.

Additionally, I aspire to share this passion with others, fostering a community where the love for card collecting can be celebrated and exchanged. Whether through online forums, local meetups, or collaborative projects, I aim to create spaces where enthusiasts can come together to share their knowledge and admiration for the art of playing cards.

In essence, 2023 has been a year of discovery and immersion in the world of card collecting. As I step into 2024, I carry with me a fervent desire to delve deeper into the intricacies of this art form, expand my collection with newfound treasures, and foster a community where the magic of card collecting can be shared and cherished.

Wishing everyone all the best in 2024!

Furrukh

Elite Member
Jul 24, 2010
Karachi,Pakistan
For 2023 I finally got my hands on one of the best Decks in my opinion of 2023, The Successor Playing Cards from the gentlemen wake. It was a joy to open those decks and I was in awe when I opened the gilded white version. 2023 was also the year when I got more confidence in performing and started doing tricks for friends more often. 2023 was also an year when I won a photo related SNC here so that was some achievement for me. In 2024 the first and immediate resolution is something I am looking forward to watch. That is the David Copperfield vanishing the moon event and I have heard there would be contest for that too so winning that would be something really awesome for me

Sep 18, 2017
2023 was a hard year for me to concentrate and dedicate time to magic. I tried my best. Finally bought some books to work through and started working through them. I spent many hours practicing alone and getting sleights good. I think I achieved that... but the problem is converting those into a routine and performing. That's where my problem lies.

I hope for 2024 to get over my "fear" of performing and get out there and perform to friends and family and maybe even strangers. I need to build my confidence as a magician and understand that people are not looking to see how it is done. they are simply amazed by the tricks and enjoy them. So in conclusion I hope that this year I can transform from a sleight-practicing-alone guy to a proper "magician". Wish me luck!

PeterC9

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2017
2023 was a hard year for me to concentrate and dedicate time to magic. I tried my best. Finally bought some books to work through and started working through them. I spent many hours practicing alone and getting sleights good. I think I achieved that... but the problem is converting those into a routine and performing. That's where my problem lies.

I hope for 2024 to get over my "fear" of performing and get out there and perform to friends and family and maybe even strangers. I need to build my confidence as a magician and understand that people are not looking to see how it is done. they are simply amazed by the tricks and enjoy them. So in conclusion I hope that this year I can transform from a sleight-practicing-alone guy to a proper "magician". Wish me luck!
Good Luck for 2024...hope all goes well.

AndrewA11147

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2023
Learning illusions is helping me battle my depression. It gives me something to show my nephew and nieces something cool when I visit.

It takes me back to when I was younger learning illusions.

I plan on being able to amaze them for years to come.

OriF

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2022
2023 was, for me, a very versatile in relation to card collecting. This past year I have gotten my hands onto many decks of playing cards that I find beautiful and intricate. My collection has increased its size in some 50 or so decks this past year.

For 2024, I would like to set myself a goal - to be able to use these decks more frequently than I have last year - which is basically none. If last year I only admired them, now I want to also use them and have fun with them, and maybe others will admire them too if I use and show them off. If I see more decks I like I'll probably get them as well, but I don't want to only get my hands on them, as I said.
Also, I own many tricks I need to learn and then practice and perform to people. This is similar to my goal with decks, just with other magic props - I want to use those.

DanielR3

Elite Member
Oct 9, 2013
2023 was good for me in magic. I performed more for my friends. I think I started to understand what is good for me and what isn't. also finally hung up a card collection display :) also I started posting videos of me doing magic and cardistry on my Instagram page!

for 2024 I hope to do more videos and feel more comfortable doing more magic to people. Also, to find a way to display more of my collection (around 100 decks).

neilvinzon

Elite Member
Jun 29, 2014
Philippines
Time really does fly, I was once really passionate with cardistry but eventually got busy, and honestly, I kinda lost touch with it because, you know, life. Still, I occasionally pick up my cards, post photos every now and then, and that's about it.

Surprisingly, 2023 brought back some interest in playing cards and cardistry. Took out my dusty card collection, gave it a spot on my desk next to my PC, and now I'm back to shuffling more often. Also, got the gift, Virts P1, adding a great deck to my old stash.

As for 2024? Winning a SNC would be awesome! Also thinking of putting my old move 'Aljunied' on The Marketplace. Oh, and gonna post more card and cardistry pics. And, of course, gotta snag some new cards along the way.

yeti8726

Elite Member
Jul 9, 2011
In 2023, I have purchased way more books than I can read, worked on my Optical Alignment move, and expanded my card collection so much that I ran out of space for them!

In 2024 I need to read some of the books that I have purchased and go out and perform more. I need to get out of my comfort zone so I can grow in my performances.

Happy New Year to everyone and I hope everyone has a happy and healthy year!

Nikolay Karagyozov

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hey, guys!

I wish you all that you celebrate with your closed ones and have a great time!

2023 for me wasn't a really successful year in terms of personal achievements with tricks/cardistry. I did manage to collect a lot of deck, though. But that's not really something of importance. I wish for the next year that I will have the health and calmness to be able to work more with the cards.

Wish you all the best, family!
Nikolay

Nov 21, 2022
Happy New Years to all! I’ve enjoyed reading these, you are all doing great things!

This past year I have dedicated more time to magic, specifically my presentation and how prepared I am for performances. I have definitely noticed a difference. I also won some of my first SNC’s.
As for 2024, I hope to get out and perform more as well as practice other areas of magic (I’ve mainly done card tricks). I also hope to get more practice time in other skills I’m currently working on.

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
Unfortunately, this wasn’t the best year for me in magic or cardistry due to how my life was this year (an emotional roller coaster haha) I didn’t get to practice or perform as previous years, with that being said I accomplished things in my personal life, big milestones were made, tough times I powered through and so many lessons were learned.

Things are more settled down in my personal life now so I have so many plans to make a come back to the magic world, I found a small stage that usually hosts indie music bands in the city I live in and my first goal for 2024 is to perform there using an idea I had a few years ago about a magic show with a time traveling theme. (Will share it here in the forums in the future)

Also I have a few video ideas to film (last time I filmed a magic video was over a year ago back in September 2022)

I wish you guys all the best next year in both magic/cardistry and in your personal lives.

PeterB69

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2023
Mobile, AL
2023 was HUGE for me, as it’s the year I found Theory11. I hit a link on Facebook for BoxOne, which I thought would be a great game for my wife. Got it (she loved it), and while ordering looked up and discovered there was, literally, magic here! Long story short, I bought my first 3 tricks that very day, and many more since then, in addition to several T11 card decks. I think I have a problem! I have many tricks on hand that I’ve learned to an extent, but nowhere near perfect. I also have tricks that I’ve not even tried to learn yet. I have, however, done a few tricks for my family, and managed to do them well enough…for them at least.

In 2024 I intend to really take the time to perfect the tricks I already know, and learn many more of what I have on hand. I would say I’d slow down my purchase habits, but that’s just not a resolution I will be able to keep. 😊

Happy New Year to all, and best wishes!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results