Searching for a mentor

Nov 5, 2013
Hey guys,

I am currently in search for a magic mentor. I feel like the guidance of someone would help me advance my studies to a much greater level. Can you guys help me get a starting place? Online or in person will work! Thank a bunch guys.

XsnareX

Apr 17, 2013
Check out the IBM and SAM websites to find the local meetings in your area.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I am going to say this. You need to be very very selective of who you listen to. Just because some local guy says he's been doing magic for years and wants to take you under his wing. Doesn't mean he actually knows what he is doing. Now for Example if you meet somebody who says they were an actual student of some of the top magicians who actually perform for a living. Then you need to absorb all the information you can from them.

Nov 5, 2013
I am going to say this. You need to be very very selective of who you listen to. Just because some local guy says he's been doing magic for years and wants to take you under his wing. Doesn't mean he actually knows what he is doing. Now for Example if you meet somebody who says they were an actual student of some of the top magicians who actually perform for a living. Then you need to absorb all the information you can from them.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA

Almost sounds like you're talking about me, Randy. . .

I think what Randy is actually saying is that you do need to look at the quality of what a person has to offer; I'm a walking-talking encyclopedia that can point people to the right resources but I'm not the best person to teach you how to do card routines. I can help you if you want to do big stage, Bizarre & Mentalism but not close-up & parlor.

We all have our strengths and the minute you have a clown claiming he/she can teach you all of it is the minute you should see red lights flashing as a warning -- NO ONE is able to give you that.

Most of the mentors I've known both, in magic as well as my other studies, just happened; a friendship was established and because I could prove myself when it came to skill, knowledge and effort/dedication & sacrifice they were willing to open up to me and show me the nuances and subtleties to things I was otherwise oblivious to . . . and sometimes that guidance came through my peers (guys in my age group and general standing) so don't count them out; someone like Jason Latimer could probably teach most of his friends tons because he is unique and has "it". . . don't ask. . . "it" is something you find in certain people, it is rare and amazing when you find it.

Your best teachers however, is YOU. . . you will be your own worse critic and initially, "director" -- the guy that gives you brute honest encouragement when it comes to how you do a certain move or present a given routine. Magician's can literally look themselves in a Mirror and get instant feedback BUT they have to be honest about what they see. When I watch video of a rehearsal I want to see if I fool myself; if my moves are invisible to me and my knowledge behind the effect's mechanics; if I don't see things where I "should" see them, then I know I'm doing things right. But I can't ignore the flashes, where I need to smooth things out more as well as negative habits when it comes to both, actions & oratory (it's frightening, how poor we are when we talk).

Don't worry too much about finding a "Mentor"; as the story goes, "when the student is ready, the teacher will come". ;-)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I was more going with the fact that somebody can offer better advice when they've actually done this for a living, rather than a guy who said he read about this or that in a book. like for example how you've actually MET some of the "top" guys in person and spoken to them (had first hand encounters on advice and whatnot from them.). Not there aren't any extremely skilled and talented hobbyist. Because there are ton. But they can't really help on the bigger picture (such as explaining timing, misdirection and all that jazz that makes magic actually work.)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I don't agree with that at all. . . there are "hobbyest" and "amateurs" that know more about magic, especially the technical face of magic, than most any of the pros out there. Gary Darwin is one person that comes to mind; he loves magic, has penned a few awesome books about magic, but he rarely, if ever, performs an actual act/show. Yet, you can't beat him when it comes to his literal skills and knowledge.

Chuck Jones pointed something out to me years ago; working pros are too busy working to be up to date in innovations, new effects or even who's who. They know THEIR SHOW and that's about it.

Yes, someone with genuine experience in given niche areas will be able to shine light on that specialty; that's like someone asking me about doing close-up, I've rarely worked as a close-up guy and I'm not technically adept in that field so I can't offer too much in way of guidance that's practical or realistically applicable. However, ask me about the two or three fields I've invested years of time working in; well, I'm pretty much a big juicy apple in said barrels, one that's difficult to challenge. . . I know that sounds very egotistical, but when you have people of note claiming to be "your fan" you must be doing something right. . .

My step-kids loathed the fact that I was usually right more than I was ever wrong and even when I was "wrong" about things, it was by degree, not a direct black & white contrast. I've seen this same scenario play out in the lives of my various mentors (and even shared the "resentment" some of my students have with me when it came to their always being "right". . . it's frustrating! But it is likewise reassuring, knowing that you have someone that certain anatomical orifices from a hole in the ground.

As I said, "when the student is ready, the teacher will reveal themselves" and trust me when I say, the best teachers will be the one's that call you on the rug, who constantly correct you, and make you want to bite nails you get so livid with them. They are challenging, frequently crass and would appear to not give a damn at times. My own key Mentor not allowing me to refer to him as such until we'd worked a few dozen shows and several years together. When I started flooring him using props from our shared inventory that was when he started having pride in my abilities and as such, security in passing the mantel (as it were) to a new young face.

I'm not alone in this sort of thing but the catch is that we get the teachers we need not the one's we like or wish to have. A true Mentor rarely comes in that perfected form we envision; they are just as screwed up as everyone else in your world, frequently worse. They have baggage, tempers, vices, and more and so, we become as important to them and their ability to function in the world as they are to us and our personal growth.

Just let things move by naturally; you will have people notice you over time. Don't be afraid to ask those whose work you admire to show you things or to invite them out for coffee; strike up a friendship! You will learn but such people may never become the sort of guide you're dreaming about.

Best of luck!

Apr 17, 2013
To echo what Craig is saying. Some of the greatest magicians I have ever met were not working pros but they were doctors and plumbers and teachers. They performed and practiced magic for the love of the art and the joy it gave them. Remember Dai Vernon was not a full time pro.

Nov 5, 2013
Wow! This is some amazing advice. I really appreciate all yours guys help and opinions. Thanks so much!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results