Second Deal Question

Nov 4, 2017
Expert at the Card Table teaches to push off two cards with the left thumb then grab the second card with the right hand while pulling back the left thumb, then repeat the process as needed.

It seems easier (with less motion and chance for error) to just push off one card and take the second card with the right hand from the top of the deck, without pushing it off.

So my question: Is there an advantage to the technique taught in the book?

domnik leon

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2013
Expert at the Card Table teaches to push off two cards with the left thumb then grab the second card with the right hand while pulling back the left thumb, then repeat the process as needed.

It seems easier (with less motion and chance for error) to just push off one card and take the second card with the right hand from the top of the deck, without pushing it off.

So my question: Is there an advantage to the technique taught in the book?
Depends on how fast and how well you can execute the move.If you're not cought doing the move then it works but if you wanna lear it just for showing off then I think you should stick to the book and have a flawless second deal my friend.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Depends on your purpose. The first one you described is a "Push Off Second Deal", and the second one you describe is the "Strike Second Deal".

The push off is great if you need to do one, very convincing, second deal. When doing a series of consecutive second deals I find the strike second deal to be ideal, personally.

I personally think the strike second deal is much easier to master, but the push off is a more bullet proof technique. Watch Ricky Jay do a second deal. As far as I can tell, he's doing a push off (I accept I could be wrong), but it's flawless every time.

Jason England has a good second deal 1on1 video here I believe.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results