Seeking Direction For Trick Required In Theatre Production

Nov 11, 2023
Hello,

I've been asked to help out in a theatre production that requires a magic routine during a scene, and was hoping someone can help me find media related to the trick for research purposes. (Name of effect, book that talked about the illusion, simmilar tricks, presentation videos, etc.) The required routine follows these three stages:

- A egg is cracked, and the egg shells are placed into a hankerchief. The hankerchief is opened, revealing a glass jar, and no egg.
- The jar is taken back, and placed in the hankerchief. the jar turns into another different coloured egg.
- The egg is placed in the hankerchief, and is turned into coins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Do you have the ability to change the effect? This one makes no sense - why does an egg shell turn into a jar and then into a different colored egg and then into coins? The only explanation is that it is an effect gone wrong an the magician keeps trying. From my knowledge and some quick research, this isn't a published effect. Something to consider, it often is easier to change the script to match the effect than find an effect to match the script. That is because a magician can come up with a stronger effect knowing what is possible than a writer can come up with using their imagination.

A couple of questions:

Is this presented as a magician doing magic trick (rather than the character actually doing magic)? The method would be different if it is viewed as an archetypical magician doing it (allowing magic looking props that set the feel for the performance but that also allow the method).

Is this a unique (i.e. never before performed) play or something that is frequently performed? (If it isn't unique, there will be more out there to find).

What is the egg cracked into and what is done with the inside yoke and whites after it is cracked?

There is a book called "Encyclopedia of Egg Magic" (contents HERE) the could be helpful. In thinking about how to do the first phases of this, the areas to research are black art and servantes. You can also look at THIS LIST. The final phase you want to draw on THESE.

Nov 11, 2023
Thanks for your help!

- The trick is presented as a magician doing a magic trick.

-The play has been done before, however, the media was limited. I might try contacting someone from the previous production.

- The egg shells are smashed onto the table (the egg has already been cracked open, and emptied previously.)

I will ask if I can adapt the script as I should be able to think of something if I do that. The coins at the end are attached to the story, so those would have to stay.

I think the reason the fases don't make sense is the first fase (egg to jar) is played off as the characters stand alone trick, and he is encouraged to do more tricks throughout the scene.

Thanks again!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results