Shadow Masters Review

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
This time I'm posting a review on the Ellusionist Shadow Masters. I've handled and bent the crap out of these things for two weeks, so here's how they're holding up.

Box: Very nice. It's an eerie feeling, holding one of these boxes after seeing the Masters and regular Tallys for so long. The bar code reveal is something I always use. 10/10

Card Back Design: Something that people always seem to get wrong is that the Black Tigers are NOT the reverse image of Ghosts - the back designs are the exact same, just the borders are different. But the Shadow Masters are the TRUE reverse image of Ghosts - albeit quite pixilated, if you look closely. The pure black looks oustanding in a fan - looks like a blank deck. 9/10

Ace of Spades: Looks very nice, but i think there could have been more color on the Masters AoS, even though it is supposed to be an all-black deck. 9/10

Jokers: Best... Jokers... EVER. Especially the reveal on one of them, it gets me better reactions as Stigmata. And anyone who's performed Stigmata multiple times knows what I'm talking about. 10/10

Card Faces / Court Cards: This looks too much like the Viper court cards, even though it is silver-shadowed. The pictures on the website look much better. 8/10

Stock: Same as vipers. Pretty thick for a Bicycle deck, but since it's an E deck, I guess that's to be expected. 9/10

Fanning/Finish: These cards were... different. The first thing I do to test out a deck is to throw them across a surface and see how well they spread without me touching them... these things CLUMPED. BIG TIME. I was disappointed... until I opened the case again the next day and they fanned better than Ghosts the next day, Huh. 9/10

Flourishing: For a deck with the UV-500 finish, these things aren't slick when it comes to Sybling and the like. They are pretty good, albeit not as good as Wynns or even regular Tallys in terms of sticking together during complex cuts. 9/10

TOTAL: 73 / 80 = 91%

Looks are everything for this deck - for handling, Wynns still get my highest recommendation. I'll reserve Shadow Masters for fanning demonstrations and magic tricks only.

I'm off to blow people's minds with my version of the Joker reveals :)

I think the Shadow Masters are pretty sweet. I only got 1 deck and it was messed up though. A card cut funny, quite a few that the black was blotchy in some spots. But other than the flaws in the deck I got I would buy more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2007
I tried these at a local shop, and liked the feel of them. Even though it was a demo deck they handled well.

on the downside, i hate the gradient pips. when will they learn that the printing resolution is limited and cards start to look like crap when you have halftones and gradients? I prefer the crisp, solid colours of normal decks.

D

Deleted member 2755

I would give the box an 8/10. If you look at the top next to the label you'll notice the Ellusionist ad. To cover it up I take a black pen and just simply color over it. It covers it well, however, I feel this is important because if I'm performing in school and someone asks to see the box and they notice it says Ellusionist.... well.... bad things to come.:rolleyes:

-Doug

I think the Shadow Masters are pretty sweet. I only got 1 deck and it was messed up though. A card cut funny, quite a few that the black was blotchy in some spots. But other than the flaws in the deck I got I would buy more.

I want to add that I contacted ellusionist about the above mentioned deck and they sent me a new one no questions asked. So now I have a good deck ready to go and a somewhat incomplete deck to do as I please. Make some gaffs maybe, use for people to sign/bend/whatever.

I do hope that people dont abuse their gracious replacement policy after reading this though. I almost feel as if it some sort of exposure by saying this. However I want to make it clear that they didnt send me a bum deck and then expect me to just deal with it.

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
I don't really see the big problem that everyone has with the E logo on the top... I have never had ANYONE notice the logo on any of the E decks that I have. If it bugs you, it bugs you... but does it REALLY take away from the performance?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results