Share Your Version - Card To Box Routine

Sep 16, 2007
Sydney, Australia
My card to routine box isn't anything special, I just thought I would share it with you guys. There are two versions I do, one for female spectators and one for anyone in general.

Version 1 - Card To Box

- The spectator is given the deck (in box) to hold. The spectator merely thinks of a card in their mind. "This is a demonstration of the power of imagination".
- They are told to imagine their card slowly dematerialising, until it fades and disappears completely from the deck, to now only exist in the figment of their imagination. The magician has never touched the box.
- The spectator is instructed to take out the deck and find for their card. It has disappeared. There are only 51 cards (or 53 with jokers).
- The spectator is told to use their imagination and bring the card back to physical life back inside the box where it dematerialised. The box is shaken but no card can be heard inside. The magician has seemingly failed. "Few people remember that this is actually the back of a card (pointing to back of box). Turn over the card and look inside the box".
- There is their thought of card, printed onto the inside of the box on the card back side. Needless to say, this effect gets one of the best reactions if you are lucky enough to get them to name the Q♥. You can always force the card, but i think the pure mentalist version elicits a stronger reaction.

The printed inside box idea is from Stained Skin. I use it this way because a tattoo inside the box is permanent.

If the spectator does not name the card printed inside the box, then there are numerous outs the magician can use, such as the comical:
"Okay now take the deck out. Turn over the top card. *massive suspense* That would be pretty cool, huh :D"
Then move onto the ambitious card routine, Third Degree Burn (my burnt pip variation which can be found here), or any other routine with their thought of card.

Version 2 - Card To Box Barcode

- Spectator selects a card. The deck is put back into the box and given to the spectator to hold.
- The spectator is told to envision their card slowly fading, decolourising and becoming thinner and thinner into nothingness.
The spectator is told to take out the deck and locate his card. It has astonishingly disappeared.
- The box is then taken from the spectator and shaken around in circles, the barcode facing the spectator. The magician snaps his fingers and brings the box to a standstill, covering the barcode with his finger.
- Slowly, the magician slides his finger off, revealing a 7 07 5P4D3S (or whatever your barcode may be). The barcode has impossibly formed into a legible reveal.

Sometimes I do version 2 first followed by version 1 with varying presentations, as a lot of people ask "can you do that again?" or "I bet you can't do that with a different card". Building the climax with another trick of the same principle effect, in this case card to box, is quite effective when the spectator challenges you or questions your ability.

I don't know any actual physical card to boxes, other than the obvious copping or palming method which i don't like at all. I believe my card to box versions are somehow stronger than the physical card to boxes. If there are any good non-gimmicked card to box routines you know i would appreciate if you could inform me of the effect :) Please critique my card to box effects and please suggest anything that could improve their impact.

Please share your card to box version!

Thanks people,

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

A back of a card is signed by the spectator and flipped over and signed by me, the performer, and left out on the table, sticking out of a purse, a pocket whatever. I perform the rest of my show and as an ending effect I take the signed card and rip it up doing a french drop, then ask the spectator to hold my wrist, in this case I normally perform my version of Daniel Madison's stigmata two, and open my hand to show the hand empty the whole time they were holding on to the card box and boom there it is, there card with my and there signature on it. I received great reations the only time I performed it fully.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results