Should I start cardistry?

Jun 12, 2013
Kentucky
Should I start Cardistry? I am a young magician and I have looked in to it but it seems like a LOT of work. Since I am young I have small hands and I can't do a charlier cut ( I believe that's what it's called) but I can do Zach Muellers Seattleite. So do you think It's worth it in the long run? If you think I should then where do I start?

venom546

Elite Member
Mar 11, 2013
I started learning and practicing cardistry six months after I first got into magic. Now a year and a half later, cardistry had helped sooooo much with magic. I think it might be because a lot of flourishes some what break in your fingers and so when I learn a new move like the clip shift, it was kind of easy to do. Just took a long time to do it smoothly lol. But I feel that flourishes have helped me with magic. My fingers don't feel so stiff like they used to before I started but i don't know. that is just me. And you should start whenever. Just don't expect to learn a certain flourish in a week. They take time to do them nice and smooth.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Is there any reason you shouldn't learn it? Flourishing and cardistry is a physical skill. It will train your mind to do fine motor skill-related things. This can help with sleight of hand for sure, even if you don't flourish during magic performances. Just building up that fine motor skill will be synergy for learning other fine motor skills.

If you're young enough then your hands might genuinely be too small to do some things - but usually it's a matter of practice and working at it. As a full grown man I could not do a Charlier cut when I started magic - half a year later, I suddenly realized I could do it just because I had worked on so many sleights and tuned my hands to be able to move like that. A couple months later I realized I could do a Scissor Cut. This is all without ever actively practicing these moves. I just worked at card magic and the sleights I learned taught my hands how to move.

If it seems like something you would enjoy doing, then do it. If you don't like it, stop doing it. It is literally up to you. There's a lot of YouTube tutorials on how to do various basic flourishes and I'm sure others will be far better at guiding you than I am in that respect.

Aug 3, 2013
Whether you want to start doing Cardistry or not is your prerogative. I started when I was young too, and I can tell you that it definitely separates you from the run of the mill magician. Most people they say that they love my flourishes as much as my tricks, so if you are looking into doing magic professionally, I think it's worth the investment. I had small hands too, (still do) but that didn't stop me from learning how to do a Charlier Cut. Only a small percentage can do it properly, but others like me learn to push up as much as I can, balance, and then finish. If you want to start somewhere, then I recommend you buy something like Genesis Volume 1. YouTube is always a good resource too. Hope this helps.

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
So do you think It's worth it in the long run?
If that is the way you think about it, I'd say: No, you better don't start doing cardistry.
You should do it because you like doing it, not because you think you HAVE to do it in order to be a better magician.
Atleast that's my opinion.

Regards,
Joey

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Magic and card flourishing are two separate entities, albeit similar in many aspects. You do not need experience in one to become proficient in the other and neither art should ever feel like a chore.

May 17, 2013
annapolis maryland
you should do cardistry, but most of the people on t11 dont think you can do anything with that in the long run in your life
( meaning cardistry can be difficult to make into a carrer)

Ive been doing magic since i was 6 and, im 20 now, and always did card tricks but cardistry was something i started later when it started becoming more popular.Plus it looks awesome in videos ;) but it will improve your card handling and its helped me alot when creating new tricks. Magic and Cardistry just go so well hand in hand. If you want to start off DON'T go and by every cardistry dvd you can. I got Genesis by Andrei Jikh and once i got better after a few years started getting into more advanced stuff from Dan and Dave and Michael James. Just Start Slow and work your way up try not to copy others and be unique with your own style. Hope this helps good luck and GO GRAB THOSE CARDS!

Nov 12, 2013
Definitely! I have found cardistry to be much more impressive to laymen from personal experience. Cardistry is great because there are moves that are very easy yet look great, and many more advanced moves that look VERY cool! Also, with the Wire giving you free tutorials, why not give it a try? No loss on your part, only an awesome gain! And whats great is that you dont need to put all your time into cardistry (sure, some moves do take a lot of time and dedication), but you can always take a break from cardistry and come back to it whenever you want. Your going to love it. Hope that helped! -Kyle

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results