Sicilian Style

Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys! I'm looking for some feedback.

I'm a card enthusiast living in Sicily and myself and my partner recently successfully Kickstarted a set of game cards aimed at teaching language. The process was fun and we've decided to branch out a bit with our next project.

One of the ideas is to design a set of high quality playing cards incorporating the local style. A Sicilian deck, like most Italian playing cards is different to what they call 'poker style' here but are much more recognisable to the layman. For example if doing magic, many people on the street are confused by Queens and Jacks, so we're thinking it'd be great to kind of meld the two styles together to create a functional, recognisable deck that incorporates the gorgeous Sicilian designs with better-handling card stock and a traditional poker size.

The Sicilian deck, of which one suit is shown below, have a few features that are unique.

40 cards (ten of each suit, 1-7, Donna (woman), Cavallo (Cavalier), K (King)
No pips (visual cards only)
Cups, Coins, Swords and Clubs as opposed to standard suits
Smaller size (about 2.8 x 1.6")
Always plastic (plastificato) stock

To create something that we'd like to use for games like poker and rummy, as well as being able to play Italian classics like Scopa (the standard card game, a lot of fun and can be played for money) there's a few changes we will definitely want to make.

Increase size to standard poker size
Use quality card stock for better handling
add 8, 9, 10 cards that can be removed for European games

We're stuck on a couple of points though and that's where you come in!

Basically - pips or no pips? Is this a real deal-breaker or would authenticity be more important?

Also, should we try and incorporate standard suits into the designs somehow?

On another note - who owns a deck of these?

Thanks for reading!

sicilian-coins.jpg

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results