Silent Treatment (Digital)

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Hey guys! I wanted to talk about Silent Treatment. I bought the digital version a couple months ago and got it all set up and ready to go. I had obviously planned to open with it - and then I never did. In fact, I still haven't even performed it. I'm worried about the audiences perception of a performer that comes out on stage, doesn't say a word, and just shows an iPad screen with the unspoken requirement that they all read what you've written.

The more I think about it the more it seems disingenuous and demanding of the audience, especially from a person that hasn't even introduced himself. I'm also worried about the impact of the routine as an opener. It's slow rolling, they have to read, you can't talk and one person even has to pick out a card from a photo. On top of these thoughts, I can see this routine playing really flat once your audience gets large enough (how large? no idea).

Is there anyone that performs this that can chime in? How has this routine worked for you? Or maybe it hasn't?

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Good questions. I don't know the answer, but I always liked the humor and oddity of it. I think that's what could make it work. I haven't ever picked it up because in most venues, I don't know if everyone would be able to read it very well from across a huge room. But for a smaller space it could work for sure!

Reactions: notsoltd
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I like the humor and oddity too. And I like how it comes full circle as to WHY you couldn't talk the whole time. I could totally see it playing well though for a smaller crowd like you said, especially for people who already know who I am.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results