Simply Sydney review

Sep 1, 2007
Simply Sydney Review

Today I received my Syd All Together package. I will take some time now to review the Simply Sydney DVD, since a few people have been asking for a review.

Packaging: The DVD was bubble wrapped, so it was very well protected during shipping.

Case look: As the name states, this is a very simple looking case with no inserts, only a short description of the effects on the inside cover and a picture of Sydney’s hand and his little girl’s hand behind the DVD (adorable).

Menus: The menus are clean as a whistle. Some of you may know that Syd had some problems with the people replicating the disk. The problems seem to have been fixed, as the DVD loads instantly to the menu (curiously no FBI warning). The menu shows every effect, the explanation next to it and a play all option for both the performances and the explanations.

Effects: I will list the effects and the short blurb from the inside of the case (and dananddave.com). After I will list my impressions, how visual the effect is (I know some people want just visual stuff) how practical it is and how easy it is. I will also give it an overall score on my impressions (obviously this is my opinion… feel free to disagree).

• A Logical Lesson (JC Wagner and Syd Segal): Combine a little bit of sleight of hand with mathematics and what do you get? A killer routine with a beginning, middle and “logical” ending!

Impressions: A logical Lesson was first published in the Full Metal Jacket booklet. The version found here has one tiny (yet significant) subtlety but it is, overall, the same effect.

Visual Level: This is a visual effect, if you spectators have a head on their shoulders. The fact that there is simply math involved and cards appear and change makes for a very solid effect. Cards won’t change shapes, flavors, colors or sizes in front of your spectators, but trust me, they will be dumb founded by logic itself seems to be playing tricking their eyes.

Practicality and ease: This effect is both practical and easy. There is only a small set up to learn (not hard at all) and it plays pretty big. The moves are also within anyone’s reach. Overall, very practical and easy.

Personal Score: Learned it and use it often. 10/10.

• Collector’s Edition: This is no ordinary “collector” routine. After the Kings successfully locate and trap the 3 selections, the feat is repeated by the magician under test conditions. Not only do the selections reappear a 2nd time in the magicians hands, but the King packet cleanly vanishes as well!

Impressions: An interesting take on the classic Collector’s effect. This has four different endings, starting with the one on the demo video and including three more.

Visual Level: This effect relies on transpositions and disappearances. It is somewhat visual, but again, it will appear completely impossible to the spectator. The multiple endings can be altered (easily) to fit any style.

Practicality and ease: This effect is very practical, since there is no set up. It will take a bit of time to make sure it flows as smoothly as it should. However, every second of practice spent on this effect will be well worth it, as it is effective and very magical.

Personal Score: I got the basic moves down fairly quickly, and it is actually pretty fun to practice. 9/10.

• No Lap Reynolds: Varied from several routines of Steve Reynolds, this “ace assembly” starts off using Kings, but ends in a very unexpected way!

Impressions: I saw the performance and smiled to myself. I love ace assemblies and this is clean and entertaining. The spectators think they know what is coming, but the ending will kick them in the nether regions.

Visual Level: This is a visual effect in the sense that the ending is very unexpected. I liked Syd’s patter, and smart spectators will appreciate the finale.

Practicality and ease: This effect pretty easy if you are used to the ace assembly plot. It uses a common move with A Logical Lesson, and everything you do seems very fair. Tiny set up, but if you are smart, you can set up in front of anyone and they will not notice.

Personal Score: Clean. Plus, I love the ace assembly plot. 9/10.

• Double D’s and Aces: From a spectator shuffled deck, the 4 Aces are spelled to and located in this baffling 4 of a kind production.

Impressions: HOLY CRAP! That’s all I can say about this trick. Even the spectator gets to spell to the ace… even if they can’t spell… the ace pretty much smacks them in the face…

Visual Level: Not really “visual” but it doesn’t have to be. You and your spectator both spell to the four aces… enough said…

Practicality and ease: This effect is fairly practical. Again, tiny set up, not hard to memorize. The moves can be tricky if you are not used to them. However Syd provides JC Wagner’s version of the trick, which eliminates the only hard move in the trick. There is a move that you need a bit of confidence to pull off, but overall, an intermediate magician can learn this in an afternoon.

Personal Score: Good stuff… I prefer JC’s version for its simplicity. 8/10.

• G.A.F.T.: A sandwich routine that includes a visual “split” of the selected card in to the “sandwiching” Jacks followed by a clean triplet of effects… A production, vanish and reappearance. This routine looks like real magic.
Impressions: Nothing like a Good All-Around F$#*^$# Trick. It uses a little extra juice, but it is fun to perform and you can fool yourself in front of the mirror.

Visual Level: Two words: REALLY VISUAL.

Practicality and ease: As long as you have the extra stuff you are golden. Some of the moves are knacky if you are not used to them, but nothing too knuckle busting. There is a set up and some clean up but it is worth it for the look of this effect.

Personal Score: Quick and visual. I must mention this was already published. The smart ones will know where. 8/10.

• Triumphant Turn-Down: Another clean and fair Triumph routine that goes right by the most suspecting!

Impressions: I must admit, I did giggle a bit when I saw the method for this. Very clever.

Visual Level: As with any triumph routine, the final revelation (all the cards turn except one) is very visual to lay people.

Practicality and ease: Well, though I do like the effect, it is nothing more than another way to do triumph. Full Metal Jacket has a decent version, but this uses a different method. Tiny set up.

Personal Score: Good if you like triumph but nothing too earth shattering here. 7/10.

• Indications: A multi-selection routine that climaxes with an ultra-clean double color change.

Impressions: Good stuff. Syd has a knack for kicking people while they are down with the finales to his tricks.

Visual Level: Really visual. I must say that the description is a bit misleading. The color changes are not what you typically would think. Still… great stuff.

Practicality and ease: Easy. Not many difficult sleights here. The finale cleans you up, so you end squeaky clean. Small set up, but nothing too hard (can be done in front of spectators with simple sleights).

Personal Score: Awesome. Pretty visual, and will confound the cleverest spectator with its finale. 10/10.

Overall: Very well put together DVD with some really interesting ideas. Some useful sleights are taught. The DVD helps with the process of applying sleights and combining them into routines.
Recommendation: If you have the money, this is a good deal for 7 routines that you can learn fairly quickly and are fun for lay people to enjoy. Do not ever forget that tricks should be design with our audiences in mind. Syd has taken note of this and has crafted great commercial material. If you are a worker, definitely get this. If you are not a worker, this DVD could still serve you well, as long as you are willing to put in the practice to add the presentation these great effects deserve.
Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Juan M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Very nice review, I have been looking into this dvd for sometime now but I am stillon the line about whether to get it or not.

No problem dude. There are some good effects in there. The best part is seeing how things are constructed, since it gives you insight into creating your own shenanigans.

Hate,

Juan

Sep 1, 2007
I just ordered it about an hour ago, I hope this is as good as you say it is :p

If not, you will owe me 26 dollars my friend :D.

You'd have to catch me first!
But seriously, I think you will like it. Especially if you perform for lay people often, Syd's stuff fries.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results