Sleeping Queen | Dan Hauss

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Dan Hauss, the creator of Flow, has created an eerie card illusion that literally brings your magic to life.

Effect:​

The spectator is shown a queen of spades that can be thoroughly examined. She is asked to place her hand over the queen and imagine her going to sleep. When she removes her hand, seconds later, the queen is sleeping! The magician waves his hand over the deck and the queen begins to wake up from her sleep. This happens slowly and the spectator sees the eyes gradually open. At the end of the effect the spectator can keep the card as a souvenir.

Video and Quality: The video is top notch; it covers everything really in-depth; quality was great, no problems hearing or seeing what was being said or done. The video is very well edited, put together and produced.

Teaching: The instructions given where done in a professional manner, illustrating the points clearly and very directly. In this 50 minute video Dan's leaves no rock unturned, he teaches everything step-by-step and how to perform this effect to its fullest. His teaching is taught with the upmost precision, very detailed; with all tips, tricks and subtleties.

Method: The concept is excellent, and the trick itself is decent. It's such a simple clever, yet ingenious method and yes it delivers. My first impressions upon finding out the method were, "Silly", but I was wrong once I started playing with the effect and principle and learner that you could more than what Dan taught.

Gimmick: Now the gimmick is very versatile, you can carry the gimmick around in your pocket and set-up when wanting to perform this effect... It will last you about 500 performances, they are inexpensive and can be found at any retail or craft store.

Set-up: Should take you no more than 30 seconds, although it does require a lot of concentration and can take a while the first few times, it's very easy. The only downside, and I believe that Dan also states, is that this effect must be performed within the 30 minute time period once set-up for the best results.

Performance: A LOT of impact, the spectator is allowed to touch the closed eyes and the sudden moment when the queen awakes is very open and visual. Super practical and very fun to perform, as well as easy.

Handlings: Dan teaches two handlings of the effect, one where the selected card cannot be signed, although another item is need to accomplish this performance, and one where the card can be signed, which is my favorite and doesn't need the extra item as in the original handling.

Applications: This is a principle that will allow for many new effects not just an animation of the eyes. It can be applied elsewhere and to a bunch of different ideas, not just limited on this one effect alone, here are some ideas; Maybe making the queen 'wink' or what about a vanishing sword on the King of Spades.

Bonuses:​
Dan has also decided to include two effects with packs of gum, Rewrapped and Gum through Wrapper. Both of these effects are visual, practical, and easy to perform and have been in Hauss's working repertoire for years.

ReWrapped:
You offer a spectator a piece of gum from your opened gum. With a simple, quick shake, the gum pack has rewrapped itself. You open the gum pack to show everything clean and fair and offer the spectator to keep the pack if they wish.

Thoughts: The method is very clever as well, but the downside is that you must make a gimmick every time you perform this, which can take a couple of minutes. Once that is done, you're ready and set to perform.

Gums through Wrapper:
You show a pack of gum on both sides, with a flick of your wrist you instantly see a piece of gum penetrate and jump through the wrapper. You open the pack to show that a piece is missing.​

Thoughts: I like this gum trick better than the re-wrapped one. This gum trick is so amazingly casual. Now, this one is also really well thought out. The gimmick is simple to make and should take about a minute to make, once that is done you're ready to perform as well. Now the position to set-up takes about 3 seconds.

Difficulty: Out of 10, I would give all 3 tricks a 3, not too hard to do at all, but some practice is required. All you need to learn are some very simple moves.

Overall: Dan has included some very creative and visual effects here, that are very practical, fun and very easy. My favorite release from Dan Hauss.

I HIGHLY suggest picking up a copy, or at least checking it out.

http://papercranemagic.com/sleepingqueen.htm

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Excellent review. I think a lot of people originally looked over this because the magic was too 'small'. This is clearly not the case.
The gum effects also sound great. It's cool that they're sold separate.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Excellent review. I think a lot of people originally looked over this because the magic was too 'small'. This is clearly not the case.
The gum effects also sound great. It's cool that they're sold separate.

Thank you CardClip.

I agree that many looked over this effect, just because the overall effect was to simple or small to be a stand alone effect.

I can say, that I have gotten a lot of impact from these effects.

I also find it a nice idea, how the gum effects are sold separately for anyone just interested in the gum tricks

May 4, 2009
Does the DVD come with the gimmick? I thought that Ellusionist.com said you get the gimmick with the DVD.

You say in your review that you can use the method to create some of your own custom effects. This makes it sound very appealing to me.

I just ordered Art of Magic and I have a used set of all 3 Daniel Garcia Project DVDs that I bought on ebay. So I'll be busy for a while. Once I soak up all that stuff, I will definately consider ordering Sleeping Queens.

I purchased the Dan Haus redline, which I like. The two gum tricks remind me of that one, but actually look like they'd be even better cause they seem more examinable in the teaser.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Does the DVD come with the gimmick? I thought that Ellusionist.com said you get the gimmick with the DVD.

You say in your review that you can use the method to create some of your own custom effects. This makes it sound very appealing to me.

I just ordered Art of Magic and I have a used set of all 3 Daniel Garcia Project DVDs that I bought on ebay. So I'll be busy for a while. Once I soak up all that stuff, I will definately consider ordering Sleeping Queens.

I purchased the Dan Haus redline, which I like. The two gum tricks remind me of that one, but actually look like they'd be even better cause they seem more examinable in the teaser.

No, the DVD does not come with the gimmick: " Dan explains what to look for and how easy it is to find at your local craft store (and online). Hoewever, if you do not want to go through the hassle of finding one at your local craft store, add one or two to your cart."

Yes, by being creative you can think of other ways to use the gimmick to create your own custom effects.

In my opinion, Sleeping Queen is such a visual, fun, and easy effect to perform which gets A LOT of impact.

I also love Redline as well ;) , what I love about the gum tricks are the organic feel to them, again, using another general normal object which are fun to perform as well.

May 4, 2009
I also think that the redline ver. 2 with the sleight is really dramatic. It's just a lot harder. A lot of people on this forum said that they didn't care for it. Obviously ver. 1 is pretty easy and ver. 2 is much much harder. I can't even come close to doing ver. 2 at full speed. The way I think people should look at it is ver. 1 is something you can start doing right away and ver. 2 is goal to perform down the road.

In the few times that ver. 2 half-way worked for me when practicing it actually creates a click noise that sounds just like a chapstick cap closing. That is what the real beauty of ver. 2 is, that I think others are overlooking when they said they didn't care for it.

No, the DVD does not come with the gimmick: " Dan explains what to look for and how easy it is to find at your local craft store (and online). Hoewever, if you do not want to go through the hassle of finding one at your local craft store, add one or two to your cart."

Yes, by being creative you can think of other ways to use the gimmick to create your own custom effects.

In my opinion, Sleeping Queen is such a visual, fun, and easy effect to perform which gets A LOT of impact.

I also love Redline as well ;) , what I love about the gum tricks are the organic feel to them, again, using another general normal object which are fun to perform as well.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I also think that the redline ver. 2 with the sleight is really dramatic. It's just a lot harder. A lot of people on this forum said that they didn't care for it. Obviously ver. 1 is pretty easy and ver. 2 is much much harder. I can't even come close to doing ver. 2 at full speed. The way I think people should look at it is ver. 1 is something you can start doing right away and ver. 2 is goal to perform down the road.

In the few times that ver. 2 half-way worked for me when practicing it actually creates a click noise that sounds just like a chapstick cap closing. That is what the real beauty of ver. 2 is, that I think others are overlooking when they said they didn't care for it.

I agree with you.

I use Redline has a whole routine, from Version 1 to Version 2.

I see your point as well, many members overlooked Version 2, just because of the move taught for it, was too hard to accomplish.

By performing Version 1, Redline is just a trick.

But by performing Version 2 as well, you have a little routine with a chapstick.

I use Redline on a regular basis and still practice the moves, it's such a fun, simple effect, that I really love.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
"Well I would have to agree Sleeping Queen is such a fine piece of astonishment. The reactions for this effect are so good that it alone can be done on its own, and the gimmick itself...well alone the possibilites are limitless to only your imagination. This was a great reveiw, very well produced and put together. Great job on the review...as always keep it up. Unfortunately I don't own Redline....but Im going to accept the challenge and purchase this within a week or two...:D

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
"Well I would have to agree Sleeping Queen is such a fine piece of astonishment. The reactions for this effect are so good that it alone can be done on its own, and the gimmick itself...well alone the possibilites are limitless to only your imagination. This was a great reveiw, very well produced and put together. Great job on the review...as always keep it up. Unfortunately I don't own Redline....but Im going to accept the challenge and purchase this within a week or two...:D

Thanks for responding michael_weiss, yes Sleeping Queen is such a fine piece.

I have gotten great reactions from this effect and this one is very fun and easy to perform.

With some imagination, you can come up with many possibilities.

n:b

Jul 7, 2009
sites.google.com
So, I got this dvd awhile ago and loved the effect. I lent the dvd to my cousin who tried to rip it to his computer so he could have a copy. Obviously it did not work, and on top of that it ended up erasing the dvd itself (his computer had a trojan virus). So I ended up forgetting about the effect (I got new dvds and performed thoes effects more and more, and eventually stopped performing S.Q.). That is untill I read these reviews and remembered how unbelieveable it was. The only problem is I forgot how to perform it. Well not all of it. I remember how to make the gimmick with the "item", and do the switch, but I forgot the most crucial part. How to make her eyes open slowly/gradually. :eek: So if anyone could help by dropping a hint or two, Id love you forever. Now I know that this is open to the public, and it may reveal how its done (most likely not, but whatever), and I do not condone revealing/exposing effects, so, emailing or PMing me works as well. . Thankyou to whoever can help me! :D (AND I NEED HELP)

Last edited by a moderator:
you've got to be kidding me... A trojan deleted your DVD copy of Sleeping Queens....

I think the fact that you're "supposedly" distributing illegal copies might be worse.... :rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2009
California
Ha!

I try the White Jell Pen or something like that from Hobby Lobby but it leaves marks on the queen faces. Any advice for me?

Why am I in this business again? Oh yeah.... To sell secrets while protecting and preserving the integrity & rights of the creator! Not expose them!

Bloodstar don't you get it? Magic will cease to evolve if secrets and or hints to a products workability is exposed. PERIOD! Who will in there right mind want to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars to produce products only to be copied, ripped off or exposed. Unbelievable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Why am I in this business again? Oh yeah.... To sell secrets while protecting and preserving the integrity & rights of the creator! Not expose them!

Bloodstar don't you get it? Magic will cease to evolve if secrets and or hints to a products workability is exposed. PERIOD! Who will in there right mind want to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars to produce products only to be copied, ripped off or exposed. Unbelievable!
Quoting his message and verifying it as expsoure probably didn't help ;)

Guys if you see a post like this, the best thing to do is to report the post as exposure (which I did yesterday... I'm surprised it's still here) and then private message the poster and kindly ask them to change their post. Or like SimplyJustHen posted a kind message outlining that it probably wouldn't fly.

This next bit isn't directed neccessarily at you Nexus, but the way your post was written has provoked me into posting my thoughts:

I'm really not digging the attitude some of the more so-called 'more professional' are having recently, I mean really are you trying to drive people away from magic?... What am I thinking? Of course you are, can't have little johnny newboy in ur spotlight, stealin' ur magickz. People make mistakes, this guy didn't seem to have the intention of exposing the effect, he was just looking for some help and look at the way you responded to him...

- Sean

Dec 16, 2008

Sorry man, I didn't mean to reveal anything :)

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
To say the least and not go into exposure, has anybody notice the damaging effects of the Queen when using this card with the effect?

V.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results