Small Hands Problem That Needs Fixing

Sep 3, 2007
Lee Asher should slap you...

With his tiny, tiny hands.
So yeah, Lee Asher has some of the smallest hands I've ever seen on an adult male, but he's absolutely phenomenal at magic. Small hands are more of an excuse than an impediment, so like everybody said (or should have said), practice more.

-SS

Sep 1, 2007
Like everyone else has said, just practice. I have semi-snall hands, and I in turn just have to practice harder, especially when it comes to angles in palming or card productions. Relating to palming, misdirection is your best friend, a little corner sticking out shouldn't stop you. But, like many of us have already said, and I'll say it again, practice, practice, practice.

Sep 2, 2007
Additionally, be sure to practice, practice, and practice some more -- I don't think that was mentioned. :D

Depending on your age, your hands will grow larger. Moreover, feel free to check this out -- http://www.leeasher.com/hand.htm.

Further, I cannot emphasize practice anymore. (Yes, I can -- practice, practice, practice ... but I digress.) The more you practice, the more your hands will become flexible, which helps greatly.

Cheers,
JTM

Aug 31, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i myself have small hands i can't do a thumb cut or cobra cut anything where my thumb reaches across the pack and cutting it my thiumb is just too small but thats about it just extra practise!

Sep 2, 2007
for things that are physically impossible with your hand size, dont do it. for other things, either practice or dont do it either. quit cards and use the fact that it was too hard as an excuse. if your hands are too small to do a certain cut, it's probably not necessary anyways. there are a LOT of other moves out there.

Nov 16, 2007
www.youtube.com
you gotta practice, and find out how to work things out to compensate with small hands, and you will :)

When I met Lance Burton years ago, I asked him to put his hand up, so I compared mine against his... the tip of my middle finger was only at his second knuckle. So I said, ah, no wonder, because you have big hands, and he told me that his wife's hands were a bit smaller than mine, and she can palm/back palm just as good as he does. So I felt like a total idiot... and I start practicing and trying to work things out, it took awhile, but it all came together :)

C

clarrus

besides practice, increase your speed and smoothness altogether. If you move fast and smooth, they won't be able to see much and at the same time wont' know something is not right because everything is smooth

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
i think you are just giving up too fast.

but think about it, if you have small hands. your spectators will think its no way he can hide cards with those small hands. having small hands is actually a positive thing then.

Oct 8, 2007
If anything get bigger cards, that way when you use normal cards your hands won't feel as small.

I've done that before. I have small hands. I had these jumbo Go Fish cards (don't ask) and when i went back to a regular deck it was so easy.

Aug 31, 2007
A major fault of many magicians is focusing on the negative. You have small hands. So what? With proper misdirection, you could palm off cards as much as you'd like to. Don't focus on the negative things - focus on the positive. It sounds really corny, but it's true. Think about this - if you knew all of the diffuculties you would have while doing magic in advance, would you ever start? Chances are you wouldn't. So instead of thinking that small hands will bring you down, think about positive things. Believe me - the more you think about something bad happening, the more likely it is to happen.

I hope I could be of some help. :cool:

Nov 20, 2007
You can help your self here is some advice

Small hands like so many others before have said means nothing, it is only an excuse used by the weak and quitters I have hands about same size a Lee's and I can do almost anything I have tried with a deck. I can barely palm a card so that it is not seen, but still I do it all the time and many other magicians can do the same. It is all based on presentation, timing, and naturalness. You may need to modify the technique you learned so that it works for you or try different types of palming like the lateral palm. As for flourishes I have not found something that can't be done with my handz. I have however found things that are not worth the work as I can achieve a similar effect with a modified or similar flourish. Over time as you train your hand you will be able to do more. I can do the cobra in my left hand as I have trained it for the past 4 years and I am still working on getting my right hand up to speed but it takes time and lots of practice/training. Remember whatever you do, your handz are not too small. When I first started doing card magic and flourishes/XCM. I thought that hand size did matter but the more I do this the more I realize how lucky I am to have the handz I do. As for using bridge cards you can but I think you should learn with a poker deck as that is the most common size of deck, you will find it everywhere. Good luck, never give-up. I have a date with the Jones change. P.S. you should really be doing this change as it is great and pretty easy to start doing if you are somewhat proficient with paste boards. ;)

Had the same problem

I had the same exact problem with the one handed cut. I tried it the first time and all the cards fell out of my hand.I felt like an Idiot.I kept reading all these people saying things like "Just keep practicing"(and I was saying things like, Ya-da, Ya-da,Ya-da.:) ) I was a smart alec. Anyways I just started practicing. It took me like 6 months to get it but I did. And my hand is like 4 inches tall and 3 inches wide. So good luck and keep practicing.

~The Sponge Illusionist

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results