Smart Ass by Bill Abbott

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
I know there is already a review on this product, but I didnt find that one as informative and it didnt really help me whether or not to buy it. I think differenty from the original reviewer (no offense)

Effect:
You put a jumbo card on a chair. A spectator sits on it, puts it in his pants, folds it up and puts it in his mouth, what ever, its a prediction, they just hide it away from your grubby sleighty hands. You take out a deck, they shuffle it. They cut it in half, one half in each hand. They throw one half away, their choice. They once again cut it in half, one in each hand. One is thrown away as before. Around 12 cards are left. They choose one. They hold onto it. They look at it. They look at the sat on card. It matches exactly.

Yes. It is that clean. I didnt miss out a "you cut the cards a few times" or "you take the deck and look at it through a spread". It is exactly what I have just described.

First Thoughts:
I was kinda "meh" about buying the trick as it costs quite a lot (55-60 USD). I was also kinda intimidated by the product picture, which was a chair. I was like "bloody hell, will I need a electric chair or something totally epic?" "no."
But the effect seemed impossible so I was like "what the hell" and took the chance. Did not regret it at all.

What You Get:
A DVD:
-About 40 minutes
-Comes with 4 pre-written scripts, each with its own style and presentation.
-One jumbo card for revelation.
-One gimmick deck.

Method:
When i first learned the method, I made this face " 0.0" Thats my eyes wide open. The method is bloody genius. Its easy, its genius, its perfect. Imagine seeing a new color. That is what I felt the first time I performed it. Its even more amazing than the first time you performed Angle Zero. You think "HAH! THIS IS BLOODY SIMPLE! AND YOU PEOPLE ARE ALL BOWING DOWN TO ME!"

Ill just Copy and Past what it says in the product description:
-Perform SMART ASS close-up and surrounded.
-Perform SMART ASS for large audiences.
-SMART ASS packs small and plays big.
-SMART ASS happens in their hands.
-SMART ASS takes seconds to reset.
-Perform SMART ASS naked (if you need to).
-SMART ASS can be suitable for all ages.
-SMART ASS uses no equivoque or magician’s choice.
-SMART ASS uses no switch of the jumbo card, deck or final selection.
-SMART ASS uses any borrowed chair.

These are all extremely true. You can have 10 midgets surrounding you and you still wouldnt flash. (no offense to short people. Im pretty short as well).

There is basically 1 sleight involved and that sleight cant be considered a sleight as it takes practically no skill. It allows you concentrate on presentation. I promise anyone, ANYONE, can practice this for 10 minutes and can do a decent performance of it. I dont know about your presentations and what not, but Im saying that you wont flash at all.
You might be thinking "gimmick... meh.. not my style..." well tough for you as this is better than the invisible deck, the mirage deck, and the gaff deck (in my opinion)

The gimmick:
You get the gimmick deck. Like any gimmick deck, its not perfect. Im just saying that nothing is perfect. This deck does everything needed. It may not work after extreme use of 1 year or what ever, but you can always buy the pack of replacement decks for the same price (two decks). You can even make your own if you dont mind spending around 1 hour making it. Its not like a Mnemonica deck where you mess it up and youre like "OMFG! WHAT HAPPENED!" Remember the effect. The deck gets tossed in the air anyways so its not like a special Brainwave stack where you shuffle it and you kick yourself in the nads.

Teaching:
Bill teaches you everything you need to know. Every subtlety every move every everything. He tells you about exactly what the gimmick is, how it works, how to handle it with care, how to let spectators shuffle it, how everything. He tells you about his favorite presentations and patter. He tells you where to get things you might need for other presentations.
You get 4 scripts in total, each with different styles and message. I find this only a small fraction of the "goodness", which disagrees with the other review. The effect is so direct that you can probably make your own presentation.

Quality:
Everything is top notch

Final thoughts:
After learning and performing this effect I am extremely proud to own it. It is bloody brilliant. The only con I found was that it is a tad expensive and I dont know why. I would get it if it came with some machine or gadget, but its just a deck, so yea... I guess you could buy it and make your own gimmicks when the first one dies. Ah well. Its freaking awesome. You can perform this with 3 friends and under 2 minutes. You can peform this for 1000 people and drag out the script for 10 minutes. It is a brilliant piece of mischief whatsoever. Its freaking amazing. You can literally walk up to someone as nekid as you were born and blow their minds (i can do that without the trick... wink wink). Got some cash to burn? Want a piece of genius? get this. You wont regret this.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results