So this is happening on social media... thoughts??

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I don't think it was Wow. The card seemed a bit flimsy, and he kept continuously adjusting it. It looked like a mirror from the front to me. I might have seen it wrong though.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The sad thing is, you don't even need to fake it. You can coach them to do it within the context of the trick, even edit that part out. Now here, of course, opinions branch of everywhere. But to me, that would be a perfectly fine way of doing things.

I honestly believe that if you have more than a couple cameras, or make a big deal out of the fact that you're filming, people will automatically react bigger. They're in the footage and they want it to look good too! Then you do any normal routine and boom, there's your reaction. You could even go so far as to say hey - if you like what you see in a sec, go nuts - AND THEN ACTUALLY DO A ROUTINE lol

Also @Maaz Hasan , it's definitely Wow. It's a sleeve that the card slides into, which then allows you to show an indifferent card and have it visually change. There was also a wallet made that would hold the sleeve, if you wanted to make it look like a driver's license or photo slot.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I did not think that this would bring me out of a hiatus.

I think that there is a. If difference between a Stooge and a paid actor. I believe a stooge knows the in and outs of the effect and what to do involving their performance; they basically HELP the act along.

Like it or not, stooges are a staple in certain magic mediums.

Think of them as living-breathing gimmicks. Like an Invisible Deck that can haggle over how much they should be getting paid to keep quiet about being an Invisible Deck.

That said, the video is displaying paid actors. They aren't helping the trick along. The audience is just there for sake of being there for 'reaction purposes'.

Things will suck for Jibrizy for a while, but as ChristopherT said, in the long run, it will be a minor bump that'll pop up every now and again when he least expects it. Like herpes.

The big thing I'm not fond about the whole ordeal is that it shows a bit of how Youtube/Instagram performers nature: sacrifice integrity and basic tenets of magic for Likes and Subscribes.

All in the manner of spreading influence and keeping their online personas afloat. Like a life preserver that you are currently using, but have to continually inflate.

From what it looks like, Jibrizy is just ignoring the problem at hand. Which isn't TOO BAD of a strategy. But considering how small the magic community is, I can see it stagnating his career. Sure, he might go a bit further later down the road, but no one with some actual swing will take him seriously and he could plateau.

Reactions: lorenzvr

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
Aside from the fact he has stolen effects from Luke Dancy and Nate Kranzo to name just a couple. Again I feel embarrassed I was even a fan of his.
With that said, I'm done discussing it.
Have a great day everyone and enjoy life!
Cheers!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Well, here's the thing. Our opinion of him (or most other magicians) is more or less irrelevant. Having a bad reputation in the magic world makes it hard to sell products, book lectures, or be special guests in magic events.

It doesn't stop laymen from hiring him to do performance. It doesn't stop laymen from watching his videos.

I mean, it would probably stop him from doing something like Ellen, because they don't like any form of controversy to be linked to the show. But really, ignoring it is the smartest thing he can do. Periodically it will pop back up and a bunch of his fans will cry fowl, and then he'll put up more videos and more people will watch and replace those who left.

Show business.

You don't actually have to be good, you just have to be able to convince people you are worth paying attention to. Which explains a lot of the people who are currently popular in magic.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I think the problem for him would be this:
Some dude sees him performing on Insta, or irl, and goes to his website to book him. They type in "Jibrizy Taylor" and the video pops up. It can hurt his rep, but not too much.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results