So you've vanished the deck...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys, I just wanted your thoughts on something...

So you've vanished the deck... It was part of an effect, the two in my repertoire that use deck vanishes are Aces (d+m) and Zamiel's Rose (Derren Brown).

..What now?

Case 1) It's a closer. Deck vanishes are obviously natural closers. But let's take Zamiel's Rose. Those of you who know the method will know that you can't just stand up. The show ends, everyone applauds, you say thank you... And you remain seated. Because that deck you vanished in the last trick? It's still hidden, "vanished", and you can't get up without revealing it. People look at you. What do you guys do? You can obviously just pull it out again when no-one's looking, but you have to wait till that time before you can do it - but that's just what I do at the moment. In the aftermath of the effect, casually pull the deck out again, put it away... It's all well and good you see, if you vanish the deck into a handy pocket... I guess this question really just goes to Zamiel's Rose then huh actually...

Case 2) It's not a closer. For example, Aces. You've vanished the deck, you're left with the four aces. You can do a four aces routine. Then what? You can of course just do a four of a kind routine and that's it. But if you want to use the deck again? Again, at the moment all I'm doing is taking it out when I judge there to be a downbeat moment. "Oh and here's the deck again incidentally." No-one's noticed yet. But still... Ok, so I've vanished the thing, effect is over... So anyway guys continuing with an effect that needs the deck - yes it's back - kinda ruins the lasting effect of a deck vanish in my view - after the performance, they'll go well how about the trick where, or when he did the... But they won't ever say that about the deck vanish, because it came back! That kinda ruins the effect of that nice moment which people quite like...

Show me your thoughts :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
I had actually thought about that when it came to the ace deck vanish from Daniel Madison. If you watch when he's done performing it he just pulls the deck back out, no worries. I think it's perfectly fine to pull the deck out and continue with another trick though obviously it's probably best suited as a closer.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I had actually thought about that when it came to the ace deck vanish from Daniel Madison. If you watch when he's done performing it he just pulls the deck back out, no worries. I think it's perfectly fine to pull the deck out and continue with another trick though obviously it's probably best suited as a closer.

It's not much of a closer - but, to be honest I hadn't noticed that, that's a good point, I guess I'll have to watch the thingy again, but thanks for that ^^

well i either pull it back out or i say that the deck transposed in my pocket .da-da no worries

I'm a little worried that since it comes from the same pocket I produce an Ace from people will figure it out - though that's never happened yet... But the simply pulling it back out idea, I think I'll just stick with that as it is... Thanks man :)

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dominique Duvivier has some great work on this type of thing.

MY suggestion would be to look at what you're doing now and see what other bits of business you could 'fit' into the proceedings...

CAse in point- Do you hang your jacket over the back of the chair when you sit to perform? I do. It would be very simple to swoop the deck up as you pick up your jacket and move onto the next table...

Just a thought.

CL

Sep 4, 2007
It does give a good chance for a deck switch. Heres how, after you do the deck vanish you say it went back in the box, and take it out. The box could have gaffs, or a stack. One tip if you are switching in a stack be sure to take out the cards you will end with to avoid dupes.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
You could pull it out with a different hand than you produced the ace with. What I mean is reach around the other way with your other hand to make it look like it came from the other pocket.

Oh that's a great subtlety Zeedub, I like the idea very much, thanks for that!

It does give a good chance for a deck switch. Heres how, after you do the deck vanish you say it went back in the box, and take it out. The box could have gaffs, or a stack. One tip if you are switching in a stack be sure to take out the cards you will end with to avoid dupes.

That's awesome too actually, I've not considered that before, but since I always carry two decks on me everywhere, it's a good idea and saves that much hassle for setting up for the next tricks... Reminds me of what Joel Paschall was saying in his thread about being ready for performance too..

Dec 22, 2007
Long Island, New York
Case 2) It's not a closer. For example, Aces. You've vanished the deck, you're left with the four aces. You can do a four aces routine. Then what? You can of course just do a four of a kind routine and that's it. But if you want to use the deck again? Again, at the moment all I'm doing is taking it out when I judge there to be a downbeat moment. "Oh and here's the deck again incidentally." No-one's noticed yet. But still... Ok, so I've vanished the thing, effect is over... So anyway guys continuing with an effect that needs the deck - yes it's back - kinda ruins the lasting effect of a deck vanish in my view - after the performance, they'll go well how about the trick where, or when he did the... But they won't ever say that about the deck vanish, because it came back! That kinda ruins the effect of that nice moment which people quite like...

Show me your thoughts :)
Well you could probably make a whole show with all the 4 card/4 ace tricks there are. But if you want to move on to something else you can always use a coin matrix as a transition between cards and coins.

Aug 7, 2008
I plan on using a deck vanish that no one notices until I point it out an i'm left with four aces. Well everyone is distracted by the deck being gone, I will hopefully be able to switch out the aces with flash card duplicates, and light them up one handed, providing enouch misdirection to put the deck into my pocket if it isn't already there. So basically, if you vanish the deck and it's lapped or something, have one more visual effect so you can put it in your pocket, or just do it casually as you stand up.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
I do love Zamiel's Rose but haven't performed it for a long time due to becoming a bit rusty with the old vanish. Need to sharpen up.

When i did do the trick, i used to do a different trick (coins maybe) or just talk for a bit. Eventually i stop myself and ask where the deck went. Then use some misdirection and do what Lennart Green does. It's this sudden appearance of the deck as your right hand moves to the right and back to the left quickly. It then seems as if you threw the deck from your empty right hand into your left.

He does this in a lot of videos (YouTube) if you don't know what i'm on about.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
When you start, lay a napkin across your lap and say something like "Want to be neat and tidy in case any food falls in my lap." It's a non-sequiter cuz' yer not eating, but when yer done, just fold up the napkin, dust off yer legs and make a call back joke about being all clean and sexy still.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
When you start, lay a napkin across your lap and say something like "Want to be neat and tidy in case any food falls in my lap." It's a non-sequiter cuz' yer not eating, but when yer done, just fold up the napkin, dust off yer legs and make a call back joke about being all clean and sexy still.

That'd work if I was lapping the deck ^^'

Thanks for the comments guys... I'm siding with general consensus here and pulling it out at an offbeat.

Incidentally Dima my vanish is fine but the Figaro Transfer needs a bit of work still to make perfect... Ah well.

May 18, 2008
Ok, I will share my secret with you guys.

After doing Aces, I relax. If I am sitting down, there is plenty of cover to retreive the deck. If I am not sitting, I just grab it when no one is looking.

Now, the secret comes in is that I cop the deck and hold the 4 aces as if they were the deck. I bring the deck up and square it, and at the same moment, riffle shuffle. Done correctly, the deck reapears as suddenly as it vanished.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results