Some Sleights

Oct 13, 2012
Lithuania
Awesome! I like your fluent motions and that all the sleights are well practiced. By the way, what is the name of the last change you performed ( where you wave the packet and the top card changes)?

T

TheCardEater

This is one of the coolest magic videos I have ever seen

Dec 12, 2012
[video=youtube;VpzhAuhSCCA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpzhAuhSCCA[/video]
leave some comment to youtube please :) thanks

Wow some excellent stuff going on there! I'd love to see some videos of you incorporating that into some tricks!

Nice, would you mind checking out my video?
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-xVPIfQAXI[/video]

I don't intend to sound too harsh, but I think there are a few issues with this, and I intend this as sincere, constructive criticism. Firstly I think you make a bit of a meal out of your false cuts and shuffles. Whenever I see someone cutting and shuffling a pack more times than you normally would I think; "this person is compensating for the fact that they're controlling a card by doing loads of false shuffles and cuts to make it look like they really mixed the cards up" - If I'm going to control a card I might do a riffle and an overhand shuffle, but you don't need to do a great deal more than that. Whilst you might think doing loads of false shuffles will make the spectator think 'oh my, he can't be tracking the card through all those shuffles' - I actually think it has the opposite effect.

Secondly (and this is partly due to the first point) the reveal of your trick isn't that spectacular. Even the most naive of lay people know that a card magician can control a card to the top, so it comes across as a little underwhelming to just show that you managed to do so. Controlling a card to the top is integral to many tricks, but its not a trick in and of itself. I'd suggest taking your ability to control a card to the top and use it for a more amazing effect. Even a double turnover, followed by a click of the fingers to show that their card has risen to the top would be more impressive.

Your ability to do false cuts and shuffles is very good, but I'd say make less of a big deal out of them, and I'd also say try to improve the effect by doing something else once you have the card controlled.

Hope this helps you.

Laurens

Oct 5, 2012
@Ghostly-I really agree with Laurens about the anti-climax of the turnover at the end. Lots of excellent false shuffles and cuts, but I think you go beyond convincing your spectators and end up making too much of them. Can you do a top shot? The other aspect of this is that you end up "using up" so many moves in this routine. I try to only use my controls once in a given performance, and to minimize my false shuffles so that they retain their impact over the course of the session. If I do 15 push-throughs over the course of a routine, that is 15 chances for the audience to spot something and gives them a better ability to catch on. If this is your opening "effect" you will be hard pressed to get reactions if you use any of those moves again, especially if you need them for an effect later in your act. Again, all of the shuffles and controls are really solid, and the video itself (the negative style) is very cool, I just think you can make more of the production and get more bang for your buck by trimming the number of shuffles.

In response to the original video (Superdkardistry), lots of excellent changes and really polished sleights...a nice combination of cardistry and magic for a strong visual routine. I especially like the repeated in the deck snap change.

Dec 12, 2012
@Ghostly-I really agree with Laurens about the anti-climax of the turnover at the end. Lots of excellent false shuffles and cuts, but I think you go beyond convincing your spectators and end up making too much of them. Can you do a top shot? The other aspect of this is that you end up "using up" so many moves in this routine. I try to only use my controls once in a given performance, and to minimize my false shuffles so that they retain their impact over the course of the session. If I do 15 push-throughs over the course of a routine, that is 15 chances for the audience to spot something and gives them a better ability to catch on. If this is your opening "effect" you will be hard pressed to get reactions if you use any of those moves again, especially if you need them for an effect later in your act. Again, all of the shuffles and controls are really solid, and the video itself (the negative style) is very cool, I just think you can make more of the production and get more bang for your buck by trimming the number of shuffles.

In response to the original video (Superdkardistry), lots of excellent changes and really polished sleights...a nice combination of cardistry and magic for a strong visual routine. I especially like the repeated in the deck snap change.

Indeed, I'd recommend picking up a pack and giving it a regular shuffle until you are satisfied that it is shuffled - this is what you want your false shuffles to look like - nothing more. It can be tempting to try to make a big deal out of a particular sleight that you have learned, because after all it is a skill you have acquired with practise and in most contexts we want people to appreciate the effort that you put in to acquiring a technical skill by demonstrating it. However the real skill in sleight of hand is to be able to do it without being detected, so everything looks natural until you reveal the results of your sleights at the end.

I'd recommend doing tricks with just one or two false shuffles, and practise doing it without looking at your hands. Do so with the confidence that the cards are fully mixed and that you have done nothing unusual. This will have a greater effect, because, as 4ofClubs says - you won't use all of your sleights in the first trick thus making the audience sceptical whenever you shuffle due to them having seen it all before, and also it will appear far more natural.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results