Some thoughts...

Aug 31, 2007
California
Some thoughts I was thinking during class today...

Real Magic can be created with many different props... Coins, Cards, nothing, a pencil, a rubber band, a leaf, etc etc etc. The prop that I see magicians saying can not be used to create a real magical feel, is the deck of playing cards. People will say its too mediocre, or scream out sleight of hand. I completely disagree. I have seen and studied performances from true artists that can create and perform real magic... with a deck of playing cards.

Someone I speak very highly of, Armundo Lucero, is one of those people. I met this artist at LVMI this year and was truely speehless when I watched him perform. He performed one routine. By the end of that routine, I and about 40-50 other magicians began to tear up from his performance...

THAT is how powerful his routine was.

Did I mention that he didn't say a word his whole performance? It was all choreographed to music. After his performance, I asked him why he chose to use music... He said this: '' It creates an emotional hook for the audience. I could have spoken during the routine, but if I did, the focus would have been put on me, and taken away from the magic. That is something I didn't want in that performance."

Why was that performance so strong? Maybe it was because it was perfectly choreographed to a music piece? Maybe it was because each and every movement he made was there for a reason? Maybe it was because he gave off a vibe... of real magic?

I can't answer that question, I just know it is because of many many different things, that can only be learnt from experience, determination, imagination, and testing things.

Now, to get back on the main topic... Do NOT be discouraged to using a deck of cards during a performance. It is something that many, many working, amazing, magicians prefer and use every single day, and make a living off of it. IT IS possible to create real magic with a deck of cards.

How?

It isn't just the effects. It comes down to presentation, WORK, and thought.

I don't believe that I am qualified enough to write up something to tell you how to do this... BUT I will reccomend you to some books and people who can...

Strong Magic, By Darwin Ortiz

And,

Absolute Magic, By Derren Brown.

Those two books will give you a few life times worth of information to help you with this subject, and much more. Reading through both of these books, a few times each, has helped me so much, I can't begin to describe it. Read through these, and take your time with them. Don't rush through it to say that you have read it. READ IT... a few times.

If you can, contact Armando. Another man to contact is a guy by the name of Eugene Burger. I have found Armando to be a harder guy to get ahold of, because he is doing a lot of classes lately, from what I have heard. They are both GREAT guys and will help you.

A few other threads worth reading:

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=746&highlight=real+magic

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=335&highlight=real+magic

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=51

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=611&highlight=real+magic

Thanks for reading and post up your thoughts!!!

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Great thoughts, my friend. This is a subject that I have been debating for a long while now. My main focus is this: I feel like I might not be taken as serious by the audience when they see the deck of cards. I know this isn't the case in every situation, but it just feels almost... hokey to be using cards sometimes.

What do you think you can do to create true magic with cards? What types of effects do you think are truly magical? Ambitious, floating cards, mentalism, what? I know you say it is up to the presentation, but I want to know what effects will yield the best results of being truly magical when combined with a great performance. I await your thoughts.

Peace

Sep 1, 2007
I HAVE to admit that I dont think that real magic can be created with a deck of cards. Now I am not saying you cannot entertain your audience nor that you cannot create a great connection I just think that they will not believe that what youre doing is real magic at the end of the day.

For some odd reason I think that REAL magic needs logic or, rather, REAL magic needs to satisfy something. A lot will not agree with me but there is a difference with entertaining your audience with tricks and performing real magic. But then again why would real magic need logic.

I think it ALL depends on what youre trying to convey to your audience and how you want them to receive you. If you want them to believe that you do real magic, which I am not too sure is a good thing, then possibly adding logic and problems to fulfill is the solution. If you want to be seen as someone with a great amount of sleight of hand skill well some flourishes can easily help that along with an immense ego.

It all depends on how you want others to view you and your "magic" and when you know how you want to be viewed then you have to perfect it with a specific focus on that type of presentation.

Lots of studying is involved. watch movies of the type of people that are similar to how you want to be seen, read books and note what they say, heck dress like them. This will only add a deeper belief of who you are....

I am confused.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
We can tell. But that can be a good thing. Being confused means you're thinking about your magic. I get just as confused. But that's healthy.

To be honest, I have always been undecided on this subject, but here are a few thoughts I hash through every now and then.

To magicians, we see a deck of cards as a tool, that we can manipulate using sleight of hand to create an effect. Instead of a theme, a context, we see the patter as misdirection, or at best a means to an end. We can spot the DL, the pass, the misdirection, and we can feel the practiced moves.

To an audience, it's a different experience. They see a deck of cards as a deck of cards, an item that can be used to demonstrate "magic", or something this magi can use to mystify us. They are drawn to the story, immersed in the context, and are interested in the story you tell. They see a card turning over on the deck, the squaring of the pack, and the polished movements of an experienced magician.

If we can connect with an audience, they will suspend their disbelief.

And no, I'm not of the assumption that the audience are out of touch with sleight of hand. But by drawing them into a different context, by taking it away from the "look what I can do" presence, they can hopefully suspend that, forget that, and enjoy what you present as magic.

I'm not sure whether I entirely agree, but it's a nice start.

Good thread Keenan

Ty

Aug 31, 2007
California
Great thoughts, my friend. This is a subject that I have been debating for a long while now. My main focus is this: I feel like I might not be taken as serious by the audience when they see the deck of cards. I know this isn't the case in every situation, but it just feels almost... hokey to be using cards sometimes.

What do you think you can do to create true magic with cards? What types of effects do you think are truly magical? Ambitious, floating cards, mentalism, what? I know you say it is up to the presentation, but I want to know what effects will yield the best results of being truly magical when combined with a great performance. I await your thoughts.

Peace

Hokey?

Only in the hands of a hokey performer ;)

It really does depend on the artist with the cards in their hands. They may not take you seriously when they first see you with a deck. Change their minds by the end of your performance and you will befine.

Effects... I don't think there are specific effects... although here are a few I have seen performed to the extent I speak of...

A matrix. I know it is not a complete card effect, but it is something I wanted to mention. In some hands, it can look TERRIBLE. In others it is beautiful.

An effect called the Strazbourgh Waltz, taught in card college, is a beautiful effect.

I can't say too many specific effects, because, like I said before, it really depends on the performer. One effect can be magic in someones hands and that same effect can be nothing in someone elses hands.

I will reply to the other posts later today.

Keenan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results