Something I felt like doing.

Nov 6, 2007
Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
no offense but u look like a monkey something like that dancing.. u were so DRAMATIC.. Jeff Mcbride is not more dramatic than you :S he is SMOOTH doing his monkey dance :p u ARE NOT

Nov 6, 2007
That's intresting guys...the thing is, I asked three people of the forum and they all said it was good. So I could be wrong but you all seem to be treating me very critically. I could be wrong.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Don't listen to the grumpy and rather unhelpful members here.

Your backpalming was good, my only advice would be to make the body-flares a little bit less jerky and sudden, and make them instead a little smoother and more fluid. That's just opinion, though.

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
That's intresting guys...the thing is, I asked three people of the forum and they all said it was good. So I could be wrong but you all seem to be treating me very critically. I could be wrong.

Yah lets all give u a lolly and a big hug while we are at it. it was just Bad not to mention it is pretty lame to post under a new acc just so u can avoid beeing linked to your original incase people find it lame which they DO !

Mcbride does what he does because it is part of his persona, besides he followed years of drama/theater/dancing lessons in order to perform the way he did. U just copied and made some variation on some of the moves without any flow and choreography behind. He actually mentioned himself quite often that people should stop beeing mcbride clones and find their own way.

Nov 6, 2007
Hey thanks Vinnie C and Sadd for the advice, I think I agree with your advice. I'll make another video soon and try to fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2007
Well Sharog, I'd like to tell that first of I don't have more than one acount on theory11.com. Also if that statement was refering to my other account on youtube I forgot and lost the password. I can't get it to my email either. If that wasn't what you were talking about please do explain. Now as for me being a Mcbride clone that's not my intention. I actually came up with those flares myself. I DID NOT copy Jeff Mcbride. Also I know he doesn't want people to copy him I've heard him say it. But I do like his style so I take certain aspects of his style like you actually should. Because if you don't take from other artists you'll never come up with any good ideas. That's how all good artists become who they are. They study other artists and take certain aspects. That DOES NOT mean I want to mimick him. I want my own style. I'm not even intrested in really acting. I just like magic. Now I have a question. Sharog, you don't have any videos. You seem to come off as a very experienced magician so why don't you show us what you can do. One other question. IF Jeff Mcbride owns the style you say does. Here's your logic. No one else can you use any flares, everyone must not use theatre arts, and everyone must sit there and do the same trick the same way, boring. Nothing dramatic about it. And nothing to look at. No personality. So tell me if I'm not having a personality then I'm mimicking everybody else because noone else can be ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO JEFF MCBRIDE. So therefore I do not agree with you though if you have any other arguments I'm very open to them because I do wish to make my card skills better. Oh yes and I asked some people SPECIFICALLY if I came off as a mcbride counterfit. They said no that I had a bit of it but it was different.

Sep 1, 2007
i've seen sharogs video and he is pretty dang good at magic dude.

i've also just seen your video and burned a couple hundred calories laughing. I loved it. 4/5 stars only missed 5/5 because I wish it had been longer. for the record since it seems to be an issue, I have all of jeff mcbrides DVDs and study them often and I saw no jeff mcbride copying what-so-ever in that clip.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Just a note, what i say is puurly my opinion all the time, so stop comparing what i said with what others said. And posting your video here is to receive comments from other people. and here is mine.
Your video come across more as a piece of self-depricating Comedy than anything else, and sinds the first image that come across my mind is mcbride, so yes it is mcbride clone 2k7 in my eye. The Main goal of flares is to emphasize the production and make it more of a theatrical experiance. Your Flares emphasize only the flare itself, has totally no inner value. Neither is there any Rythm between the moves and production, so conclusion, it was really BAD.
If u watch Mcbride's mask act closely, u will notice the rythm between the moves and why it looks like some japanese tranditional theater play.

..slow, slow, fast, production, pose, pauze..

So my point for the entire time beeing, is that it was a poor magic performance overall. When people see your act it will not come across as an magical experiance even without prior knowledge of mcbride, and will only laughing their ass off, so since it is an magic act, it has lost all the values right there.

And as i mentioned in the previous post. work on the Choreography ! the flares are used for a Reason !.

PS: if i want people's comment on my performance, i would send them my videos. and i did so in numerous ocasions just not on public threads.

Nov 8, 2007
Right, personal opinion here:

producing and vanishing is good... the magic is there and it's straightforward to layman.

Advice: Vince is right about the jerky bit. Be less jerky unless you're coming with card manipulation with robotic act, which is also a good idea. Otherwise, you can watch and learn alot from youtube, this link is quite good.

Youtube - small to big cards manipulation

This video, the magician stands elegantly, move for abit and his hands don't stretch alot (but yours do). He stretches alot when he's manipulating bigger cards but he still maintains his style. As for your move just now, you're just handling a single card, but too much movement covers the magic. I'm pretty sure your intention is to let your spectators concentrate on the card vanishing bit but moving around too much would distract them.

Nov 6, 2007
Well if I came off as Mcbride clone, my apologies. That was not my intention. As far as the jerky movements and no emphasizing flares. Your right. I stink. I honestly don't know much about flares and theatricallness and I'm honestly trying to learn. I am an amature. I'm very thankful for all of everyones advice and I will try better next time. I'm not intrested in acting but I'm intrested in adding a little flavor to my tricks, thats all.

P.S. Can anyone give me a list of pointers on how to do good flares?

Sep 1, 2007
jeebus dude in my opinion the worst thing you can do is listen to everyone being negative on your original style. yes it is a little "out there" but that's what makes it so original!!! I am dead serious when I say that is one of my all time favorite vids and it was only 10 seconds long.

if you wanted to work on anything, just practice your back palms with more cards (cardini single productions) because it takes a while to build up strength and flexibility.

KEEP YOUR STYLE!!!

Sep 1, 2007
... no matter what you do there will always be people that like it, and people that hate it... if you listened to everyone telling you to "tone it down" then you really would be a clone! I mean if you look around at alot of the videos , after you watch more than a hundred of them you start to realize you're seeing the same thing over and over.

I just had a battle at decknique.net and I'm getting ripped in full force right now 10 times worse than you in this particular thread... but it's ALL excellent because at least you can take some constructive criticism from it!!!! and which doesnt kill you will only make you stronger or something like that.

but when someone says that they just plain hate it without saying why, well, they can take a flying f%$k at a rolling donut ... just the fact that you are doing something different is 100 times more important than what any individual person thinks (including me tho, haha)

dont be confused... just do your thing bro!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results