Southern California Session

Attention Southern California Magicians

Hopefully, the prospect of networking is allowed to be advertised here on the forums. I'm currently working in New York, but I'll be travelling back to the west coast early next week. I'm admittedly pretty new to California, but I'm really interested in getting to know other magicians in the area. I'd like to know-- are there any other performers or aspiring magicians living anywhere from Los Angeles to San Diego? I'd love to get together and jam if possible. Additionally, I want to start working on some performance videos for a demo reel. If anyone has experience with videography, I'd really appreciate your help. Of course, you'll be paid for your contributions and efforts.

I'm willing to session with anyone of any age, but I'm ideally looking for anyone 21+ so we can possibly hit up a few bars and nightclubs for some spontaneous performances (and generally just a good time). I would love to start working the local college circuit a well, so if anyone has any information about such possiblities, I'd love to talk with you too.

Either reply directly to the thread or PM me for more information.

Thanks so much.

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
California
Oh Darn. Only 16 here, but there are a few bars down here in Nor Cal that I've actually had special permission to come into and perform at. A few years down the road for me though, but I'll be sure to jam with you some day mate

Hey Justin-- that's really unfortunate. I would've liked to get together. If you're ever back in the area, hit me up. I'm itching for a good session. Oh-- since you're from the area, are there any decent shops around? The closest magic shops I've heard about were in LA, but I'd like something more convenient.

KingofCards, if your parents don't mind you chilling with a 24-year-old, feel free to get at me. Amusingly, it might be a little awkward though. Bring some friends who're interested in magic and maybe we can meet up somewhere public and perform. You're all the way up in NorCal though, and that's a good eight-hour drive. If I'm ever touring, I'll let you know.

To everyone else, I'm just trying to network with other magicians. If anyone has any information about anyone I can talk to, I'd appreciate the help. I'm launching a website soon. I'll be working on a few performance videos, private notes, and touring schedules for the project, so I'm looking forward to meeting with anyone who can help with such issues. Writers, editors, and videographers experienced with the magic community and industry would be great. Other than that-- I'd love to just chill and have a good time talking shop.

Anyone else interested?

RS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
Magic shops in Sand Diego are scarce. There used to be a great one by the bay, now there are two in the county; Brad burt's magic shop in downtown San Diego small but a decent shop, and The Grand magic shop in Escondido. Never been to in myself but I have heard its a good place.

by the by the address for the Escondido shop is 1607 S Escondido Boulevard, Escondido, CA

Hope you have a great time in the area. And make sure you go and perform in Seaport village!

For anyone interested in the immediate area-- I'll be making a trip up to LA on Saturday, and the invitation to session still stands. Just get at me. And Justin, I'll be following your recommendation-- I'm going down to Seaport Village on Sunday to perform. Hopefully I can get some decent footage.

So yeah, busy weekend. Now who wants in?

RS.

hduarte1

Elite Member
Jul 2, 2008
Akatsuki Hideout
For anyone interested in the immediate area-- I'll be making a trip up to LA on Saturday, and the invitation to session still stands. Just get at me. And Justin, I'll be following your recommendation-- I'm going down to Seaport Village on Sunday to perform. Hopefully I can get some decent footage.

RS.

Hi,

I just sent you and email through the email address underneath your post. I forgot to tell you that there are a few colleges around my area too like SAC (Santa Ana College) and UCI in irvine and pheonix university...? email me at hugo.duarte@sjk.com

HD

Feb 12, 2008
Magic shops in Sand Diego are scarce. There used to be a great one by the bay, now there are two in the county; Brad burt's magic shop in downtown San Diego small but a decent shop, and The Grand magic shop in Escondido. Never been to in myself but I have heard its a good place.

by the by the address for the Escondido shop is 1607 S Escondido Boulevard, Escondido, CA

Hope you have a great time in the area. And make sure you go and perform in Seaport village!

Where'd you get that address?

I've tried to visit their internet listing with the address on Grand Ave. and it's nowhere to be found.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com

RS.

Well, the Magic Castle is in "LA" but "LA" is a big area.

Are you going to be Downtown, Hollywood, Reseda, Pasadena, Glendale....?

KE

Give me dates and times with locations. I'll be there.

Hey Gents... and Katie,

I plan on taking some members' advice and going to The Magic Apple in Studio City on Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to rendevous with some other people there, because it's apparently a really great shop. I'd love to just sit and session all day-- maybe do some guerilla magic if it feels right.

I should say this is all tentative as I still have to speak with my boss (AKA the wife), but I was hoping to show up around noon or one. Really looking forward to putting some faces with T11 avatars.

RS.

Jan 1, 2009
Poway, CA
Where'd you get that address?

I've tried to visit their internet listing with the address on Grand Ave. and it's nowhere to be found.

its from internet/friends. Its a weird thing because technically it has two locations on google maps, but its not on grand ave to my knowledge. I haven't been there myself though

Jun 4, 2008
san clemente, ca
hey
i live right in between san deigo and los angelas in a beach city called san clememte. it would be cool meeting some magicians. i don't know anybody. so if you're around just pm me.
-rex

Romeo...
how long you planning on visiting the LA area?
ever been to the magic castle?

-JOSH

I think I can essentially stay there all day Saturday. If it's going to be a late night, I'll probably need to arrange for a place to stay with my wife. I'm sure hotel availability won't be an issue.

And no-- never been invited to the Castle. I'm sure it'd be a memorable experience if you can hook it up.

RS.

So generally speaking, the session yesterday was a complete and utter failure. No one showed up. Ha. I did get the (interesting) opportunity to meet William Draven though, and he seemed to be a very colorful individual. Hopefully, we'll get to link up again. And many props to the Magic Apple. It was a great shop with some (effing) good old-school cardmen hanging out. I spent my afternoon in the shadows just observing them. I was pretty awestruck.

If anyone else lives near the OC, get at me. I'm still looking around for some friends and talent in the area. I'm predominantly into close-up magic and mentalism, but I love seeing anything performed well. ...Except sucking residue snot off a nail after its been hammered into your nose; you can keep that to yourself, Draven.

Other than that, I'm into campfires and long walks on the beach...

RS.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
So generally speaking, the session yesterday was a complete and utter failure. No one showed up. Ha. I did get the (interesting) opportunity to meet William Draven though, and he seemed to be a very colorful individual. Hopefully, we'll get to link up again. And many props to the Magic Apple. It was a great shop with some (effing) good old-school cardmen hanging out. I spent my afternoon in the shadows just observing them. I was pretty awestruck.

If anyone else lives near the OC, get at me. I'm still looking around for some friends and talent in the area. I'm predominantly into close-up magic and mentalism, but I love seeing anything performed well. ...Except sucking residue snot off a nail after its been hammered into your nose; you can keep that to yourself, Draven.

Other than that, I'm into campfires and long walks on the beach...

RS.

Bummer. I was hoping for some good sessioning stories....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results