Spectator Walking Away In Middle of Performance

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You could have paused, respected that they needed to talk, and then continued when the other man was done.

Adults will always put their needs before random youngins'. Importance is relevant, and to them you're not as important...which may or may not have been true. I wouldn't take offense to it, just learn from it and move on.

Oh, and just because you're big to children doesn't mean they won't try and butt heads or disrespect you, they deserve the same respect you think you deserved from this adult-keep that in mind-when performing for them.

:) Now that it's over, look towards the bright future you have ahead in magic.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Cassen:

I'm sorry that happened, but don't let it discourage you. I agree that it was rude to interrupt and not the best judgment for the pastor not to correct that person. However, it sounds like the pastor waited to the end of your effect before walking away, if he did that, he should get some credit.

However, what others have said about adults is right. A 13 year old showing them a card trick is going to be less important than most other things. In a way, this presents a good lesson about picking the time and place to perform. You want to perform when your audience can pay complete attention not when they can be distracted by other things.

Finally, I'm with Baller08 and Reverheart: telling someone off is not a good idea in this situation (or in any other situation for that matter). Telling someone off (whether you are 13, 23, 33 or 43) does show immaturity. First off, you are merely expressing your opinion on what happened, not looking for solutions. You are more concerned about making the case about how you are right and the other person is wrong than figuring out what actually happened (every story has two sides - maybe the Pastor told the other person to find him) or figuring out a solution (maybe you could have talked to the pastor later when he was able to pay attention). Second, telling someone off evidences a loss of control of both the situation and your emotions. Your not thinking rationally and are just saying whatever comes to your mind. Most of the time you say something stupid and end up losing any respect the other person had for you.

Sep 9, 2010
Cassen:

I'm sorry that happened, but don't let it discourage you. I agree that it was rude to interrupt and not the best judgment for the pastor not to correct that person. However, it sounds like the pastor waited to the end of your effect before walking away, if he did that, he should get some credit.

However, what others have said about adults is right. A 13 year old showing them a card trick is going to be less important than most other things. In a way, this presents a good lesson about picking the time and place to perform. You want to perform when your audience can pay complete attention not when they can be distracted by other things.

Finally, I'm with Baller08 and Reverheart: telling someone off is not a good idea in this situation (or in any other situation for that matter). Telling someone off (whether you are 13, 23, 33 or 43) does show immaturity. First off, you are merely expressing your opinion on what happened, not looking for solutions. You are more concerned about making the case about how you are right and the other person is wrong than figuring out what actually happened (every story has two sides - maybe the Pastor told the other person to find him) or figuring out a solution (maybe you could have talked to the pastor later when he was able to pay attention). Second, telling someone off evidences a loss of control of both the situation and your emotions. Your not thinking rationally and are just saying whatever comes to your mind. Most of the time you say something stupid and end up losing any respect the other person had for you.

That's the thing, this guy just walks up out of nowhere and starts talking to him! and I would NEVER, tell someone off like that, I'm the one imposing on his time, if anything he has a right to tell me off.

Thanks again for great advice!

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well the effect was over, and the information the other had was more important. What did you want him to do? Freak out? Congratulate you on a job well done? The Pastor had other more important things on his mind to deal with at the time. Like I mentioned, the other person was going to talk to him about the Budget of the event or the set up or something in that area. Which completely out weights some kid trying to perform a trick for them. You have to realize that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Also, you need a reality check if you think that because you are older or bigger than the kids you are performing for, that they won't interrupt your show or try to screw up a trick or two. If your show is boring to them, they will tell you straight up. The same goes for your magic, if they THINK they caught you, they will pretty much blurt it out.

You've got a lot to learn and to think about.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Audience management is a MUST with kids magic. Watch some video's of Silly Billy on youtube...they are HILARIOUS to the point where I was even laughing and being entertained. Not to mention that you can learn A LOT just by watching Silly Billy perform

Sep 9, 2010
Well the effect was over, and the information the other had was more important. What did you want him to do? Freak out? Congratulate you on a job well done? The Pastor had other more important things on his mind to deal with at the time. Like I mentioned, the other person was going to talk to him about the Budget of the event or the set up or something in that area. Which completely out weights some kid trying to perform a trick for them. You have to realize that the world doesn't revolve around you.

Also, you need a reality check if you think that because you are older or bigger than the kids you are performing for, that they won't interrupt your show or try to screw up a trick or two. If your show is boring to them, they will tell you straight up. The same goes for your magic, if they THINK they caught you, they will pretty much blurt it out.

You've got a lot to learn and to think about.

bahaha, i didn't mean it like that. I am aware that Childrens magic is INCREDIBLY hard, I'm just saying that they might respect me more, being that I am older, and someone they could look up to.:) also, i know the effect was over, but he could have said SOMETHING, he just walked away. i mean "I don't really think a magician will fit in at the fall festival" is all he had to say if he doesn't want me at the festival, and i sure as heck am not gonna do it now.

Dec 26, 2009
I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that adults in general would rather talk to another adult than a 13 year old, and card magic is by far one of the least entertaining, stereotypical types of magic (don't get me wrong cards are my favorite). That is one of the big reasons, in my opinion, why you don't want to open any performance with cards in your hand.

So with the two things I mentioned (age and cards) you have 2 things going against you.

Casen, you mentioned that you heard what they were talking about as they walked away and it wasn't important, to you. I think another thing you are not seeing is the fact that things talked about by adults will not be important to a 13 year old. Think about it this way, if you are showing an adult a trick and another adult walks up and says, "You need to check out what I found behind the church". It isn't interesting or important to you, but there might have been graffiti or something that could put the people in the church in danger if they went outside the church, or something to that extent.

In this instance, the only one rude in what happened was the person that came up and interrupted your performance. That is where audience control comes into play. If it were me I would have handled it the same way Chris Mayhew said to handle it. Make them part of the effect so they know your pastor was already preoccupied watching something else.

As I typed that last paragraph I now have a couple more thoughts. Personally, I think the guy that "interrupted" may not have been rude in "interrupting" your performance. This is why, do you think the guy "interrupted" your performance because he didn't even know that you were performing when he came up and started talking to the pastor? People watching magic normally don't talk very much until the performance is over. If I walked up behind someone that I needed to talk to and saw that they were not talking to anyone else I would start talking to them. Before you can even say the guy saw you standing there performing, the guy that interrupted may NOT have noticed you were standing there performing for your pastor (adults don't always pay attention to kids the way you think they do or should).

I am not running you down by saying what I said, but you need to look at things from the adult laymen point of view not a magician or child point of view.

Sep 9, 2010
I am surprised no one has mentioned the fact that adults in general would rather talk to another adult than a 13 year old, and card magic is by far one of the least entertaining, stereotypical types of magic (don't get me wrong cards are my favorite). That is one of the big reasons, in my opinion, why you don't want to open any performance with cards in your hand.

So with the two things I mentioned (age and cards) you have 2 things going against you.

Casen, you mentioned that you heard what they were talking about as they walked away and it wasn't important, to you. I think another thing you are not seeing is the fact that things talked about by adults will not be important to a 13 year old. Think about it this way, if you are showing an adult a trick and another adult walks up and says, "You need to check out what I found behind the church". It isn't interesting or important to you, but there might have been graffiti or something that could put the people in the church in danger if they went outside the church, or something to that extent.

In this instance, the only one rude in what happened was the person that came up and interrupted your performance. That is where audience control comes into play. If it were me I would have handled it the same way Chris Mayhew said to handle it. Make them part of the effect so they know your pastor was already preoccupied watching something else.

As I typed that last paragraph I now have a couple more thoughts. Personally, I think the guy that "interrupted" may not have been rude in "interrupting" your performance. This is why, do you think the guy "interrupted" your performance because he didn't even know that you were performing when he came up and started talking to the pastor? People watching magic normally don't talk very much until the performance is over. If I walked up behind someone that I needed to talk to and saw that they were not talking to anyone else I would start talking to them. Before you can even say the guy saw you standing there performing, the guy that interrupted may NOT have noticed you were standing there performing for your pastor (adults don't always pay attention to kids the way you think they do or should).

I am not running you down by saying what I said, but you need to look at things from the adult laymen point of view not a magician or child point of view.

He saw me doing it, came up and said something about the card trick to the kids director, and then engaged him in a conversation.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i think my main point may have been unclear. This kid was VOLUNTEERING. Now if you were pursuing a job, or something paid then yes, a bit of humility and patience is required, you cant burn bridges in a field where reputation and money are involved. However, you were volunteering YOUR time to help a cause. And while yes your age may be a factor in that, i see several older people advising the same course even when your an adult. I think because its magic people feel you should act differently then if it was any other thing. Let me ask you this. If you came to a pastor and asked him if he wanted help at a soup kitchen, and did the same thing, would you still keep trying to help? If a doctor went to a free clinic and asked if they wanted a volunteer and they responded in that way would he continue to try? Or would they simply move on to another place that would respect the offer. My point is this, while your age may account for this particular incident, dont let it develop into a pattern, especially the older you get because that will simply allow people to walk all over you. When you are offering your time with no expectation of reward, then you are truly offering valuable goods and deserve respect, because if one place wont offer it, another will. For example, a local organization had approached me not too long ago for their fall fundraiser. It was to be charity work so no pay involved. It seemed like a worthy cause so i began talks with them. My only conditions were that i could use them as on my client list and Any video rights involved i would have access to. They manager in charge responded that he and the group were "uncomfortable" with their signing any contracts simply to hire a magician. I inquired what they meant "simply to hire a magician". In short i withdrew my offer to work the venue, largely because they couldn't meet my meager terms. Later that month i did a separate event at a library fundraiser, where i was again working for free but accepting tips. The fundraiser was written up in the paper and a highlight in the social scene in my small town and i came away with a decent wad. Needless to say the original group contacted me less than a week later, however THIS time i responded that if they required my services it would be a payed event. Still got the job but they learned a valuable lesson, treat a professional (in my case semi-pro) with the respect he deserves, and dont dismiss someone who's trying to offer something or it will cost you in the long run. That approach served me well and has led to other gigs where i haven't been treated in the same way yet.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Cassen:

Great post.

If you want to be a professional, then you need to always be professional, not just when money is involved. This is how you build a good reputation as well as good character.

Now if you were really hurt or offended by these two guys, you should speak to them one on one and let them know how you felt when that happened. Likely they didn't realize what happened for whatever reason. So the ball is in your court to make that better - you need to take the initiative to let them know. It's tough, but it's a great skill to learn.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results