Spelling trick

Nov 3, 2012
Hello fellow theory11'nrs,

In Royal Road To Card Magic, there is a trick thaught called ''Gray's Spelling Trick'', (p.63), that im having a slight problem with. At page 64, just under the patter given for the effect, it says ''Turn half left, hold the deck in your left hand, the bottom card facing the spect...'' and what I don't seem to get is what they mean with ''Turn half left..''. It seem's to me that they are holding the deck in a specific position after that. I might be wrong and have missed an important detail, but the effect doesn't work otherwise for me, unless I deal the cards down face upwards. Again, I could have missed some really important detail, but if any of you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great. No exposure on the thread obviously.

Thanks - William

May 19, 2010
It's referring to your body position. You should twist your whole body 90 degrees to the left, and it's really just so the specs can get a better view of the cards. Hope this helps!

Jul 26, 2013
on a slight aside, im not sure whether it says this, but in the past i've had some success with spelling another card before the spectators one. This is by taking the card after the spectators and repeating the process done for the first card (trying not to reveal the method but its hard), and a note here is to cut so that there is a lot of pack to work with - if you know what i'm trying to say. of course, it may say this in the book - I haven't read it in a while.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results