Spoon bending

Hello t11,

Recently I started bending spoons again after dunno how much and I came across a problem. When I place the spoons into my palm, they tend to lean to one side ( left or right, depending on what hand ) because of the muscle of my thumb. I never succesfully did this kind of bending because of this problem. I learnt spoon bending from watching other magicians doing it and never really read anything or watched a video about it. Any tips?? I mean I just can't find the position in which I should place the spoon. Thank you in advance!

Aug 28, 2010
Two sides of advice here. First the friendly helpfull kind: I had that problem a few times before too. Just gotta find the right spot. I eventually just moved on to different methods all together. I would suggest just using different bends. The "Mindbender" dvd would be a GREAT place to start. Only one bend, but it may just be the only one you'll ever need.

Now for the other side of the coin. Read the books and study the videos. By showing effects to people that you haven't gotten all the info on, you risk tipping the whole thing and ruining the effect for the spectators. After that, they will never be able to see that effect as magical.

I for one think the forums should be a place for just this type of help. Small things that we just need a tip on or pointed in the right direction. I used to do a lot of metal bending in resturants so if you have any further questions feel free to PM me!

Aug 28, 2010
Oh, and just so there's no misunderstanding, I wasn't a pro or anything! Just knew people that owned and /or ran a couple places so I would just go in for a few hours on weekend evenings and do stuff for fun and free dinner and drinks...

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I would start by picking up pk silverware by Gerry and Banachek. It is in my opinion the best starting point, not just for the technique but also the psychology of bending.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
PK silverware is great!

For spoon work in particular you might want to take a look at Osterlind's work, Guy Bavli's, My work (Dee Christopher) and Erick Castle - A quick google will bring up the places to pick up their stuff!

Re bending psychology, Osterlind's MetalBlast is a wicked little booklet, Kenton also has some fantastic work in Miracles of Suggestion related to bending!

Hope that helps!

Rock n roll,
DC

What I really wanna learn is the break because I already know bends from TV and I developed my own subtleties and routine and stuff like that. I want a finale act in which I should break a spoon. Can somebody who actually knows a legit method for the spoon/fork break (when the head of the spoon is falling from it's body) to pm me so we can talk a little bit?? I know how it could be done, but I don't think I can talk about it on the forums because it would look like a reveal of some sort.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results