Spots in New York

Mar 28, 2009
HAmburg Germany
Hey guys....

I'm visiting New York next week and I wanna know if there are some stores or places a magician should visit. I'm from Germany and I will stay for 3 days only.
If someone knows something please get back at me.
Oh and Dan White.......if you are reading this.......wanna meet?.......kidding:)........unless you want to......

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Tannen's and Fantasma. You can find them easily on Google for the addresses and they're really close to each other so you can hit both easily.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I'm going to attempt to give a review of every shop I can think of in the city.

Fantasma
Take the 1,2, or 3 to 34th St. Penn Station and you can walk underground right into the building of fantasma
I don't know how fantasma is off the beaten path considering its right across the street from Madison Square Garden haha. But in any event Fantasma is a huge store and is becoming more of a museum for magic history. There is a sizable Houdini museum and a lot of famous magicians have donated memorabilia.

Other nice point of Fantasma is at any point you are bound to see Simon Lovell (with is trusty beer in hand haha) and David Roth. Not to Mention, running into Asi Wind, Ricky Smith, Doug McKenzie at a lecture. I'm slightly biased considering I used to work for Fantasma Demoing in Toys 'r' Us Times Square, but I have always felt there is just a well of knowledge at Fantasma.

Tannen's
Take the NQRW to 34th street and walk east on the north side of 34th street.
Tannen's is staple of the NYC magic scene. You just seem to have to go there. The networking that you can do within the "Tannen's Family" is quite extensive. I have been there twice. The first time left a very sour taste in my mouth and I didn't return for quite some time. The second time was ok. The downside to Tannen's is it's size. They are very busy and very small. There is not a place to come and work on a new sleight or really get a great opinion on something. It may just be a personal preference but when I go into a shop- yes i'm going to support the shop but I also want to enjoy my time. The second time I went in was a little more relaxed and I had a better experience. You have to give them credit for how extensive their inventory is too.

Halloween Adventure
Take the L,N,Q,R,W or 4,5,6 to 14th st. Union Square.
Some people may argue to not even include this shop in my review. After all, this shop is primarily a costume shop that supports itself for the year, from its halloween sales. If you go downstairs in this shop and all the way to the other end on the left hand side you will find a "magic nook" so to say. Steven Henriquez used to work there. The inventory is not extensive, and there is not a place to session really, but there is usually a rare or hard to find book. They also keep the basics in stock. The reason for even including this shop is it is a piece of NYC magic history. The "nook" used to be much bigger and there was a whole separate room for sessioning. All the current pros when they were coming up went through this shop and have been known to drop in from time to time.

Hopefully I didn't miss one, and if I have let me know, because I would like to make it there.

Hope this helped!
~Chrisfecto

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
We were just there, and we picked up tickets for Steve Cohen's Chamber Magic show. Easily a must. A fantastic show. Actually, the word fantastic doesn't capture it at all. It sells out, so if you can still get tickets, then absolutely do it. (Not to mention the hotel where it is at is amazing.)

j

Oct 14, 2009
The downside to Tannen's is it's size. They are very busy and very small. There is not a place to come and work on a new sleight or really get a great opinion on something.

I disagree. I've always relied on Tannen's to be a place to get great opinions and help on whatever it is I am practicing or would like to know. I've always had at least one employee go out of their way to help me with whatever it was I was interested in buying or was currently practicing.

Nov 7, 2008
Hofstra Univ.
I disagree. I've always relied on Tannen's to be a place to get great opinions and help on whatever it is I am practicing or would like to know. I've always had at least one employee go out of their way to help me with whatever it was I was interested in buying or was currently practicing.

Just as your experiences have lead you to a great perception of Tannen's my experiences have lead me otherwise. Believe me, i'm sure my experiences are not the overwhelming majority I'm simply explaining my experience. I just know that I have literally spent afternoons practicing at Fantasma with some of the best names in magic saying hello and giving pointers. An experience I did not get the impression could happen at Tannen's when I was there.

All with a grain of salt I think.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results