Spring problem

Jan 11, 2009
I have been in flourishing for 5 years, i would say that i learned pretty much every flourish contained in dm db db dvd's. when i say learned, that doesnt mean able to complete it in 10 minutes, i mean that i am able to do them smoothly at about the same spead as them.

one of my favorite things to do is the card spring, now i can do the card spring without any problems. i can control the speed, make it last 1 to 5 seconds, upside down, horizontal, vertical. almost 2 feet apart, never dropping cards, behind my back, anything. pretty much like dnd

so this morning, waking up to go to school, i grabbed my cards and left home for the bus. i was flourishing and was attracting people all over the bus. then i do a card spring and the cards fall on the ground (tallys). throughout the day, i couldnt do my card spring right. I came home and still couldnt get it right, i spent 2 hours trying to figure it out but nothing. and once again, i have plenty of experience

i am a lot more mad and frustrated than i sound, so i threw my tallys in the trash in frustration.

oh yes and any help other than practice would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 20, 2010
I have been in flourishing for 5 years, i would say that i learned pretty much every flourish contained in dm db db dvd's. when i say learned, that doesnt mean able to complete it in 10 minutes, i mean that i am able to do them smoothly at about the same spead as them.

one of my favorite things to do is the card spring, now i can do the card spring without any problems. i can control the speed, make it last 1 to 5 seconds, upside down, horizontal, vertical. almost 2 feet apart, never dropping cards, behind my back, anything. pretty much like dnd

so this morning, waking up to go to school, i grabbed my cards and left home for the bus. i was flourishing and was attracting people all over the bus. then i do a card spring and the cards fall on the ground (tallys). throughout the day, i couldnt do my card spring right. I came home and still couldnt get it right, i spent 2 hours trying to figure it out but nothing. and once again, i have plenty of experience

i am a lot more mad and frustrated than i sound, so i threw my tallys in the trash in frustration.

oh yes and any help other than practice would be appreciated

Describe your grip with the card spring.

Jan 11, 2009
ok, well, im sure it is correct because i have done it millions of times correctly but here it is

my pinky is not used, i know it could be used for more control but i dont need it. my ring finger is almost at the edge of the top right corner of the deck, my middle and pointer lay next to it. my thunb is almost at the bottom left corner of the deck

and when i say almost, i mean like a quarter of my thunb and ring are touching the corners, if that makes any sense

Jan 11, 2009
i saw that already, i know exactly how to do a spring, and i know i can do it, but today, i woke up not being alble to do a spring for no reason, its really getting on my nerves

Jan 11, 2009
ok thanks, but i guess thats my only choice for now anyways seeing i cant complete a spring without dropping 1 card. ill tell you how it goes

May 13, 2010
ok, well, im sure it is correct because i have done it millions of times correctly but here it is

my pinky is not used, i know it could be used for more control but i dont need it. my ring finger is almost at the edge of the top right corner of the deck, my middle and pointer lay next to it. my thunb is almost at the bottom left corner of the deck

and when i say almost, i mean like a quarter of my thunb and ring are touching the corners, if that makes any sense

When I spring cards, I hold the top right corner of the deck in the crotch of my pinky. This allows far more control. Also, I squeeze the deck first, then release the pressure. This gives even more control and makes the card spring very smooth and elegant. Sorry if this isn't helpful at all. I don't know any other reason why you wouldn't be able to spring cards. Maybe it's just one of those days?

Hope this helps,
the.digital.deception

Apr 6, 2010
Try a different deck, maybe because you dropped them some dirt got on the cards and affected the fluidity of the cards, trust me iv had a lot of trouble with dirty cards before, always blow both sides of them before you place them back on the deck.

Jan 11, 2009
Thanks for your input on how you hold a deck of cards. I see I wasn't descriptive enough in my last post, so yes the deck is deep in my ring finger, like extremely deep and I know this helps with control.

I do use different cards all the time. My main are tallys aladdins massas. So I'm sure it's not the cards it's all me and my weird hands.

And thanks everyone for your quick replied, theory11 is really a great community of flourishers

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
Seems to me like you need to practice. You say you have experience but obviously you don't have enough! Card springing is a basic fundamental flourish. You probably spend too much time on the eye candy and not enough on the fundamentals.

Jan 11, 2009
WOOHOO, i finally can spring again, i have no idea why but i got the feeling again. couldnt spring for 2 days!! but YES got it now and i better not leave me ever again. dont you just love that smooth sound of the cards coming down.......

Likenthrope

Banned
Jan 31, 2009
WOOHOO, i finally can spring again, i have no idea why but i got the feeling again. couldnt spring for 2 days!! but YES got it now and i better not leave me ever again. dont you just love that smooth sound of the cards coming down.......

Dude, you really need to get a girlfriend!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results