Springing the cards

Springing the cards is one of my favorite things to do. However, as I have been playing around with versions of it, i noticed there are quiet a few variations. WHich variation do you prefer?(hand position) And also, what do you try to accomplish in each springing? That sounds funny, but do you do for length between hands, tempo, speed, sound, ect. or whatever.

One more thing- what's your response to someone when they say, "that's not shuffling" when you spring.

just wondering what ya think.

Sep 2, 2007
Stockholm, Sweden
I tend to hold my hand diagonally over the deck, with the thumb at the inner right corner and the index and middle finger at the outer left.
What i try to accomplish is to get the springing at even as possible, and of course with some length to it aswell. Speed doesn't really matter to me...

And what to tell the one saying "Thats no shuffle!... well i don't know really. Does layman really think that you shuffle the cards when you spring em'?

/marb

suprisingly yes. "hey bud, shuffle them again-that's not shuffling."

I like to go for how smooth I get can all the cards. Even tempo from one card to the next.

true. "i never did shuffle" is an easy out. but i dont want to sound too stuck up. Maybe something comedic?

Sep 1, 2007
are you performing at an old folks home? it seems totally irrelevant to say "that's not shuffling" I've never heard that. mostly people say "that was cool, do it again".

tempo (even release of cards) is the best thing to shoot for. Also distance and neatness of catch so you don't have to spend forever resquaring the deck. I hella prefer the corner grip method.

I have seen Jay Sankey spring the cards and the flow and the sound of it is just great. I don't know about the finger positioning but I am quite sure that he does NOT RELEASE the cards from his THUMB but from the FINGERS. I tend to like that style of springing and when he and Richard Sanders do it, it just looks and sounds great.
Ofcourse I am not too much of a flourisher :(

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results