Stage Magic and My First Post! Also looking to be a apprentice of some sorts

Nov 27, 2017
Hello all my name is Jack and I am 16 I have done magic for about 1 and half years and I really like it alot! I have been doing card magic for my friends and family and sometimes on the street, But somebody told me that I should consider doing little shows or little events? So my question is how would I do that like in how would I start a small business for people to do magic? I would like to do tricks were every one can get involved so what kind of stage tricks should and can I do?

I am also from Atlanta Ga and I was looking for someone who I could talk to and get lessons or show him some tricks or learn stuff from an actual magician? any body that I could potentially help and or work with would be great thanks so much! - Jack

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hey Jack... welcome to the forums.

The shows you seem to be talking about are referred to "parlor" magic. Essentially a magic show performed in front of a group of people in their living room or parlor. Parlor magic can be for five people or fifty or more.

It would be difficult to do a parlor show with just card tricks. My parlor show has three tricks with cards out of 12 effects. One is a card to bottle, the other is a trick done by two spectators with two decks and the third is a card trick done with five cards in the hands of each spectator.

A parlor show should have a variety of effects. I like classics of magic like Cups & Balls, Linking Rings, Zombie Ball, Egg Bag, Sponge Balls, Rope Magic, Silk Magic, etc. The key is to find effects that you like.

A good starting point is Mark Wilson's book "A Complete Course in Magic." Beyond that, the Tarbell series (the 7 books, not the one volume book) has a tremendous amount of magic that can be used in a parlor show. The underlying methods are excellent, but the presentation needs to be updated. I love Jim Steinmeyer's Conjuring Anthology... it has a bunch of amazing presentations of amazing effects.

Another great option is Genii magazine. With a subscription, you get access to 75 plus years of archives where there is an amazing amount of material.

You also could get a bunch of DVDs that teach the effects you are interested in. L&L Publishing has a lot of great DVDs using the classic props. There are also a lot of prop specific DVDs for sponge balls, cups and balls, linking rings, zombie balls, etc.

In developing a show, you need to develop your character and develop your presentations of the various effects. That is what ties the show together and makes it interesting to watch.

As for doing this as a business, the first step is to develop a show that is professional presented and that people will pay money to have performed. Then you can focus on marketing your show.

A final note, kids shows are something completely different and take a different focus. A lot of people make the mistake in assuming that kids are easy to perform for. It is the opposite. You need to really like working with kids and know how to add the bits and pieces to your show that will keep them interested.

The folks on this forum are great resources. I'd be glad to work with you (as I'm glad to work with anyone on the forums) in building you show.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
Jack, the man above is THE resource on this forum. Any book or other resource he suggests usually ends up on my shelf. He is invaluable to us.

There's really not much else to add so all I'll say is...welcome to the forum!

Reactions: RealityOne

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
A final note, kids shows are something completely different and take a different focus. A lot of people make the mistake in assuming that kids are easy to perform for. It is the opposite. You need to really like working with kids and know how to add the bits and pieces to your show that will keep them interested.
I have never been caught doing a cull force by anyone before but recently, an 8 year old caught me on it and took the actual card he touched rather than the one I tried to force. I went into a different trick but I thought it was funny.

Aug 15, 2017
well, I guess it is kinda your call.
If you wanna stick to your style (which I feel is close-up and street guerilla kind of magic) you can.
You can also do stage shows.
If you really want to learn magic personally from a magician, I think you should look within the social media for help. Look and see if there's any magician in your area. Usually social networking sites like facebook and instagram are the best help on this front.

Also,(this is irrelevant to your question, you can choose to ignore:) )...the beginning of your post reminded me of the video "Love and other illusions" in YT.
:p

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results