Starting out

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Hello,
For the past year I have been doing some fast and fllashy tricks inspired by the Buck twins. However I want to take the "flashiness" to the next level with cardistry. Now I know that genesis is a great place to start but it may be a while till i can get my hands on a copy so what should i work on in the mean time? Along side my sleight practice i want the work o some one handed cuts off the Buck's website. I also have the trilogy yet i fear the cuts are too difficult for my current skill. So along with the one handed practice what else would you say is a good foundation?
Thanks in advance, Adam. Sorry for any typo's, im currently on a tablet.:D

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I started Cardistry back in July of last year. The free tutorials on Youtube have been a massive help to me. But don't ever be afraid to learn things outside your skill level; that's how you get better.

Honestly, if it looks hard; LEARN IT. And you shouldn't be afraid of card tricks and flourishes. There are worse things in this world to be afraid of--and a deck of cards should not be one of them. Push your own boundaries.
All I can say is, even though all I do is one-handed stuff; if you know and can do Charlier and Revolution cut, you have the basics and everything will come easier to you because of the learned dexterity. At that point, it's just the quality of the tutorial you're learning from.

Here's what flourishes I know, in order.

Revolution Cut, Charlier Cut, One-handed shuffle, Muse Cut, Teachwrap, OH DEAR! (something I made).

If it looks interesting to you, learn it. And don't buy into the 'big hands/small hands' way of thinking. I have small hands, everything is workable.

I hope this helps in some capacity.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Why thanks for the fast reply- I never thought about a "just learn it" approach.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Learn from the Trilogy! When I fist started flourishing in 2008, that's all I had, and that's what I learned. I started with Molecule 4, and I would recommend you do the same. It's one the easier flourishes on the DVD.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks! Do you have any peticular order that i should learn them or just whatever seems easiest at first, the seconds third ect?

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Cuts in general i guess. I love cuts with large amounts of packets or that look impressive. However i also love the look of pressure fans and deck flips yet i cant find a good and original source to learn these other than the trilogy in silent.
Sorry for any grammer issues, on a tablet again.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
The best way to start is by learning Charlier, Revolution, and Scissor cuts as they are building blocks to more advanced cuts--and two handed stuff if you do so go that route.

Honestly, I learn off of Youtube because I haven't been able to afford any cardistry tutorials up to this point.

And good luck with those pressure fans. You will be putting some work into them.

I know with one hand you can get up to three packets going at once. For two hands, as far as impressive presentation goes, I've seen up to 5. I think Andrei Jihk's 'Cylinder' is what I'm thinking of, but it almost makes me want to learn two handed cardistry. It's good, but judging by the 'difficult' rating on The Wire and how I'm learning a couple difficult moves; you're going to put some work into them.

As far as deck flips go, look up Erdnase Go Round. It's one handed, but hey! It's what I do. It's a more 'advanced flourish' from what I have seen from others commenting about it. But who cares? Once you get the grip correct, it's all just practice with the wrist action. I digress.

I think Andrei Jihk also does a deck flip called 'Blink' I could be wrong on the name. But it's a packet flip that goes from one hand and it goes to the other hand, landing right on to of the deck. Looks neat.

And if you want another flashy move, look up Hot Shot, which implements a, HEY!, Revolution Cut.

There's a lot out there. Explore Youtube a bit and get an idea of what you're looking for and ask away. But typically, cardists use one-handed stuff as building blocks to two-handed stuff.

But start off with Charlier, Scissor, and Revolution cuts. Good building blocks. And you need the dexterity buildup.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Mr. Hurley has a point. Most 2 handed cuts use one handed cuts, so learning those first would help you out. But there is no right or wrong way to learn cardistry. Best advice I can give is to just jump in. If something interests you, then try to learn it. The Trilogy has a bunch of great stuff, especially in the 101 section, so give some of it a go.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Thanks guys. I have alot of the one handed stuff down in my left hand. Not the shuffel though, injured my finger doing that. Im going to work on meka and molecule 4 the time being to it heals up a bit now.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
hmm ill have a look now. Sorry for late reply, had a big exam today but nothing can stop cards.

Amo

Apr 24, 2014
Chris Hestens does a system and trilogy video. Meka should be towards the end. Just search Chris Hestens x Dan and Dave in youtube. The system i something i like the look of but it may be hard to find a copy of it. Either ill have a look. Have a good day!

Feb 27, 2015
I would say youtube also. Zach mueller has some pretty good tricks on his channel but they are a little more advanced. I've only been doing cards for about 8 months now, but hook came pretty easily for me so it would probably be a good one to learn. The cactus boi has some good ones too, rolodex is one of my favorites. Good luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results