Stop Blatant Exposure on Youtube

Sep 1, 2007
Hello guys , some friends from my country (http://www.romagic.ro) started a petition on stoping the exposure on youtube , but we found out that other guys STARTED this allready so we avough their idea and we what to make this public , so ..

This is the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uHSmHHvlqE

And the link to the petition :

http://www.petitiononline.com/32594442/petition.html

----------------------------------------------------------

Blatant exposure is mean-spirited and designed to bring down magicians. These explanations imply that magicians are unskilled performers who only rely on secrets and the fact that they know something that audiences don't.

Exposure doesn't take into account that good magicians have to understand psychology, be superb presenters, have excellent stage presence and in the case of illusionists and formal stage magicians, make use of sophisticated lighting, music, choreography, costuming and more to entertain. Magicians are depicted as nerdy, insecure performers who only have their secrets to hide behind. Without secrets, in the minds of those who expose, magicians are nothing.

Education
With magic education, on the other hand, an effect is explained, and the student is offered suggestions on building props, if necessary, as well as taught moves and shown how to perform and present the effect. Education becomes exposure when it's shown to the wrong people-one doesn't have to look far on the internet for examples of this.
(c) Wayne Kawamoto

Thanks , and hope that you will avough this .

Stefan Cristian

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
It's been done before, and it has failed. It will be done again, and it will fail. Petitions will not help, end of story. Unless the video is copyrighted, there's no way YouTube will take it down... it's generating more users for them!

Besides, its never actually hurt me. Meaning, nobody has ever stopped me during a performance and said, "I saw how you did that on YouTube!" That's just me, though.

Oct 24, 2007
Let me share some information with everyone here. I have a friend who is a lawyer, he got his degree from Harvard Law. And I asked him about the whole YouTube having magic tutorials on it thing.

Here's what he told me, "It's against the law if someone rips the tutorial off of a copyrighted DVD and posts it on YouTube. But if someone takes a web cam and films a tutorial of it themselves. THEN IT ISN'T AGAINST THE LAW." So I asked him why and he answered,"Because ideas cannot be copyrighted. DVDs and videos can be copyrighted, but not the ideas on them. So people are free to teach them."

Although I think people that blatantly expose tricks on public YouTube so that laymen can watch the tutorials really need to stop. There isn't anything we can do. That's why YouTube doesn't care. Because it isn't against the law, they aren't going to do anything. Really, we can't do anything.

Only magic companies can do something. Some huge company can easily have videos from YouTube removed. But just one person asking YouTube to remove a video won't work. So, it's really up to magic companies to keep magic tutorials off of YouTube. Hope this enlightened some of you. Peace!

Tyler

While I think its wrong to post that stuff on youtube, I do think most "laymen" will see how its done and either soon forget, or choose to get into magic. How many people have actually been stopped during a performance by someone saying they saw that trick on youtube?

I did sign the petition though, cant hurt to try.

Sep 2, 2007
It's been done before, and it has failed. It will be done again, and it will fail. Petitions will not help, end of story. Unless the video is copyrighted, there's no way YouTube will take it down... it's generating more users for them!

Besides, its never actually hurt me. Meaning, nobody has ever stopped me during a performance and said, "I saw how you did that on YouTube!" That's just me, though.
I've done magic trick's for many people and they PURPOSELY go on youtube just to find out how the trick is done. I don't know what universe you live in or who you are performing

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
I've done magic trick's for many people and they PURPOSELY go on youtube just to find out how the trick is done. I don't know what universe you live in or who you are performing

Actually I've never had anyone tell me that either. If youtube exposure is hurting u, then u need to work on your magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Ampersan,
I suggest you delete that "name-calling" sentence because many like myself are offended and hate that word.

But your correct when you said that many people go on youtube to try to figure out how you did a trick to them. Happened to me on more than one occasion. Never let them get the best of you.

If you want to make this official, I would suggest you spell check your petition because no one will attempt to take you seriously if you have spelling errors in your petition. Otherwise they will think it's just some little kids mad at them for exposure.
Wich - Which

Nov 11, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
I find that's my problem too. It's not that people stop me to say they saw it, it's just that the after-effect is not great at all.

Think about the Balducci levitation. People swear that you floated 3 inches, which turns into a foot, then three feet, etc. People build you up so much in their mind, they're convinced you're a demi-god or something. If, on the other hand, your spectator goes home, gets on youtube, and finds out how to do it, not only does your "magic" stop spreading but it's not even magical for that spectator anymore.

Also, I whole-heartedly agree that the sleights are only a part of being a magician, but that's a big part. No spectator, unless they're adults etc, will give a $#!^ about your presentation, ability to manipulate the crowd, or anything else that's not tangible. All they care about is, in some cases, catching you, and in most others finding out how the heck you just did that...

That's just my two cents though. I agree with the petition, and think magic-exposure sucks...a lot...

Sep 1, 2007
I just wanted to say thank you all for your support , and hope that more guys will sign in ..

Thank you ..

S.Cristian

Oct 24, 2007
I guess no one read my post, hopefully because it's long. So here's the short version.

It isn't against the law to make a video of yourself teaching the trick, therefore, YouTube won't do a thing. It's up to the magic companies to make sure the tutorials are off of YouTube. My suggestion would be to petition the magic companies to be more strict in getting YouTube tutorials removed.

Also, Ampersan5340, people can't just go on YouTube and find a tutorial for a trick. How do laymen know the name of the trick to find a tutorial of it? There are tons of levitations out there. They wouldn't know what to type in to find a tutorial of the trick you do. My question is, even if they did go on YouTube, did they ever find a tutorial? I'm sure they didn't. Peace!

Tyler

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Let me share some information with everyone here. I have a friend who is a lawyer, he got his degree from Harvard Law. And I asked him about the whole YouTube having magic tutorials on it thing.

Here's what he told me, "It's against the law if someone rips the tutorial off of a copyrighted DVD and posts it on YouTube. But if someone takes a web cam and films a tutorial of it themselves. THEN IT ISN'T AGAINST THE LAW." So I asked him why and he answered,"Because ideas cannot be copyrighted. DVDs and videos can be copyrighted, but not the ideas on them. So people are free to teach them."

Although I think people that blatantly expose tricks on public YouTube so that laymen can watch the tutorials really need to stop. There isn't anything we can do. That's why YouTube doesn't care. Because it isn't against the law, they aren't going to do anything. Really, we can't do anything.

Only magic companies can do something. Some huge company can easily have videos from YouTube removed. But just one person asking YouTube to remove a video won't work. So, it's really up to magic companies to keep magic tutorials off of YouTube. Hope this enlightened some of you. Peace!

Tyler

That's true about the magic company thing. Send a ticket to E or somewhere with a link to the video and it's gone within a few hours. I've done it numerous times.

Jan 13, 2008
haha....there needs to be support bracelets made for this.....might i suggest gold....its pretty much the only color not claimed..and as far as reason- many of us make a living using the secrets of magic.....plus gold just seems right...dont kno why..anyone agree??

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results