Street / Busking Magic

Sep 19, 2009
Ok, so i admit i am fairly new to magic, and it's going to be a fairly long time till I'm out in the public performing, but I’m trying to find some "effects" that are well suited to performing in a busking environment. Tricks that are visual and entertaining (I realize I’m more important for that part) and involve audience members and can be seen easily if there is a small crowd (I’m thinking card and coin tricks are not very suitable because of their size). Perhaps tricks like the professor’s nightmare (tricks with large, everyday objects) or something.

Ok, so i admit i am fairly new to magic, and it's going to be a fairly long time till I'm out in the public performing, but I’m trying to find some "effects" that are well suited to performing in a busking environment. Tricks that are visual and entertaining (I realize I’m more important for that part) and involve audience members and can be seen easily if there is a small crowd (I’m thinking card and coin tricks are not very suitable because of their size). Perhaps tricks like the professor’s nightmare (tricks with large, everyday objects) or something.

Decide on how you want to perform. Right now I would say watch a **** load of magic videos (not tutorials). Watch all different types of magic, and all different performers. Find what really fits your personality. I could suggest all types of illusions that can be done, if you were busking, but only you can decide if it fits your style.

So, instead of suggesting a couple of effects for you to perform, I will suggest some books that are in most working magicians library.

The first book I would suggest that you get would be

Mark Wilson's complete course in Magic
- This book has everything in it and is a great reference to all different types of magic from close up cards and coin to mentalism, and even stage effects. Great starting point for all magicians. This book can help you decide what type of magic to perform.

Modern Coin Magic by Bobo-If you find you like coin effects then this is the book for you, it teaches everything you need to know in order to perform coin maigc. It has everything from palming, to gaffs to full routiens. Once again the standard in coin magic.

Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue- the basics to the advance in card magic. This is the equivalent of Modern coin magic, but for cards. Every magician performs a card trick.

O yeah I forgot to mention. If you decided you want to get into mentalism, there are a million different ways you can go, and everyone seems to suggest a different direction to go. But I see that a lot of people seem to enjoy 13 steps to Mentalism. Some say its a little advanced for a beginner mentalist, but I say go big or go home, if you are not going to put real effort in to it then save you time and money and don't do it. (this does not just apply to magic) Good Luck and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Sep 19, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions Luka,

In terms of card and coin magic i think i've got enough effects already cause i started with card magic and then moved onto coin magic, i just didn't think they would translate well in to a performance for a crowd on account of their size.
That's why i'm looking for effects with rope or silk or something like that because they can easily be seen. Since i'm fairly new to magic i don't really know what other areas of magic there are apart from those four previously mentioned , so i'm just looking for other areas i could look into.

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
Buy Jimmy Talksalot's book "To Lure With Spectacle" he's a professional busker and his book is STUFFED with information not from him, but from the greats.

My show is spongeballs, a trick with 4 jokers to 4 places, and tossed out deck...that's it.

It needs to be visual, and able to play big

Oct 23, 2007
if u r just starting out, start small, do easy stuff, build your confidence, watch loads of magic performances, be it stage or close up, and see how things go from there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results