Strong Magic vs. Creative Magic?

Nov 11, 2013
I want to learn how to make my own effects, but I also want to perform effects well.
Why I want to know how to perform effects well:
I pretty much suck at this , and I never know what to say.
Why I want to learn how to make my own effects:
I could possibly sell them, and it would be very fun.
So which book do you think would benefit me more: Strong Magic by: Darwin Ortiz or Creative Magic by: Adam Wilber?
Thanks,
Adrian

Feb 10, 2013
If you cannot perform very well, that is first priority. Definitely get books on performance.

Also, you do not make your own effects just to sell them. You have the wrong idea. It is rare that you will come up with such a wonderful and unique effect that it could be marketed. And anyway, you would have needed to have years of testing that effect in the real world to work out all the kinks, so performance skills are going to come into play.

Performance skills is the first priority, far before creating new things.

c.t

Apr 17, 2013
Australia
If you cannot perform very well, that is first priority. Definitely get books on performance.

Also, you do not make your own effects just to sell them. You have the wrong idea. It is rare that you will come up with such a wonderful and unique effect that it could be marketed. And anyway, you would have needed to have years of testing that effect in the real world to work out all the kinks, so performance skills are going to come into play.

Performance skills is the first priority, far before creating new things.

That pretty much sums it up, learn to perform before learning to create because even if your a good creator you cant perform what you've created anyway, have fun!!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
As much as I genuinely enjoyed Creative Magic - of those two I'd probably go for Strong Magic.

And then I'd get Creative Magic once I finished Strong Magic.

Nov 30, 2013
Hilliard, OH
I, personally, would say, Strong Magic. Not just because you need to learn to perform well. (I do think that is important.) There are plenty of creators who don't perform super well. Like Mathieu Bich. I think Bich is an amazing creator, but I have seen him perform, and it didn't live up to his effects. I think while reading you should pay attention to what makes a "Strong Magic" effect. What hits the audience harder than most. Subtleties and such. I think that will really carry over to creating nicely for you.

Nov 11, 2013
Thank you everybody. I'll buy Strong Magic, and when I save up enough money, I'll buy Creative Magic.
-Adrian

Apr 17, 2013
I have Creative Magic and love it. The essays in the back of the book are great and it is still in print to easy to find. But yes Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz is the better starting point if you can find a copy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results