Stuart Gordon replacement

Oct 5, 2012
So I really love the Stuart Gordon DL and turnover. I think it is an incredibly natural way to show a card and it reinforces the idea of only having one card very effectively. Once the cards are face up in your hand, though, what do you do? Obviously this is in some ways dependent on routining (if you are laying it on the table or returning it to the deck), but I am wondering what people do to replace the cards on the deck or move them from one hand to the other...no specific situation or conditions in mind, just wondering what people do with it

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I show it, give a flick of the corner with my left thumb and flip it over on top of the deck.

Or I take it face up with my left thumb and middle finger, keeping a break.

One of the two.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I put it back on the deck like it's one card.

Blindeside462 - why flick the card with the thumb?

Oct 5, 2012
Do you rotate back over your thumb? Essentially inverting the movement?
I roll my wrist forward so that the top edge of the card touches the table, and then reverse that arc. I have been tinkering with rotating the card using my third (middle) finger as a way to get the cards into my left hand. Part of why I have been thinking about this is the controlled nature of reversing that arc seems to push against the simplicity/naturalness of having a single card. I have also been experimenting with a helicopter sort of toss/spin with a double card, but you have to put a pretty serious curve in them. Maybe I am over thinking this and the simplest solution is to just lift, SG turnover to display, and then reverse that motion to return to the deck...

Apr 26, 2013
Yes it's in Sonata and also on his dvd "lessons in magic" on the double ambitious routine, and Michael Vincent explains the Stuart Gordon double lift and the Tamariz replacement on one of is dvd

Jul 13, 2010
The Tamariz/Gordon Bruce unload (Giobbi credited it to both, because they came up with it independently) can also be found in Card College 3 .
I don`t use the Ken Simmons/Stuart Gordon double very often, only in special situations.
But it is a great double in combination with, for example, the Ascanio spread, or when I only have few cards and want to hide an extra card.
Or turning other cards over with the double.
Normally, to just display a card, I would just pushoff two cards and flip them over on the deck. But then I want to show several cards , it`s natural and economic to do the KS/SG or a variation of it because I´m already holding the double in the right hand, so I can just use it to flip other cards.
That`s a handling Michael Vincent uses often and I like it. Looks effortlessly and is, IMO, a perfect use for this special lift, without looking contrived.
Also, because you do something with it, you take away the heat of holding a double and focus on turning over the other cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2012
I do two different things. One is when I do the double, show the face, turn my hand over, (without moving the fingerpositions) then I ''flip it'' back on to the deck with the back of my thumb. Leaving the card face up.

The other thing is, I do the double, show the face and then pinch it between my thumb and index finger to do a move which spins the card, almost like in the Jones change. Then flick it, and turn it over.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results