Sweaty hands = ruined cards

Oct 6, 2007
When I perform or practice a lot with cards my hands sweat really bad I don't know if this is just me or what, but it really messes up the cards and clumps them up I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks of the trade to stop my hands from sweating so much.

When I perform or practice a lot with cards my hands sweat really bad I don't know if this is just me or what, but it really messes up the cards and clumps them up I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks of the trade to stop my hands from sweating so much.

Yes wash your hands with as cold water as you can and soap. Then let them dry and you can use your cards and they wont get as warm and they wont sweat as fast.
But I dunno maybe you have abnormally sweaty hands. Just try that it works for me

Sep 1, 2007
This may not sound professional to you but the best thing I have found against sweaty hands is to give the hands out to a spectator to shuffle them, as they do, I dry my hands on either my pants or a clean hanky. This accomplishes a couple of things: first, you'd be showing that your cards are not gimmicked by having them examined and second you would relax because the heat is off of you for a second.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I also have this problem, especially when I break out my new deck, and I don't want to mess them up. As soon as I touch them, bam, sweat.
I was thinking of using some sort of powder on my hands to keep them dry. When I was in gymnastics, we used crushed chalk on our hands so we wouldn't sweat while holding ourselves up on bars.
Just a thought.

- Dan

You could try some baby powder. Wash hands and then dry them, then put powder on them. Rub it in and then wipe off with towel. Wash hands before, in the middle, and after your practice. Hope this helps, and I have the same problem.
Darkheart

Sep 1, 2007
Chile
Dude i have the same problem. MY hands Sweat Abnormal! I really ruin deck of cards. I have heard that you can cut something Like the hand glunds ( dont know how to say it in english Maybe the word is Invented in chile is : Glandulas) and you will not sweat anymore.
I wash my hands A lot of times in the day and its not a solution :( plz someone HELP!
Lol

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
You could try some baby powder. Wash hands and then dry them, then put powder on them. Rub it in and then wipe off with towel. Wash hands before, in the middle, and after your practice. Hope this helps, and I have the same problem.
Darkheart

We want our hands to stop sweating, not have dry scaly hands. lol
In the winter, my hands crack and bleed. That's how extreme I am.
:)

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
Just learn to calm yourself. It usually comes after experience. Don't think about the sleight of hand as much. When you feel your about to get sweaty, put the deck down, and just wipe your hands on your a blanket or towel.

I also found blowing on my hands to help a lot too.

Sep 1, 2007
Chile
thx for your solutions, still its not a problem of nervous that i need to calm down( 6 years doing magic).... even do im a very active man. Wash my hands with soap havent solve my problem yet :(
maybe I need a special soap.

Aug 21, 2014

Just use aluminum chloride, your near drugstore should have it in a "spray" form ( you just spray this on your hands once a week and thats it).
This works, i have sweaty hands and use this to use my cards.
BEFORE USING THE CARDS LET THE ALUMINIUM CHLORIDE IN YOUR HAND DRY.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I have 3 suggestions to try.

1.) Use Purell on your hands which is a hand sanitizer with alcohol which will dry them out.
2.) Carry 2 extra decks on you and rotate through them when you feel them getting clumpy or moist due to the sweat and humidity.
3.) Take a bounty paper towel...crumple it into a ball and place it in your suit coat pocket and just reach down in your pocket and squeeze it a few times between a set or two.

I've done all of these before.

Nov 1, 2007
Cyril, there is no "calming yourself". Sweaty hands are a natural indicator of light performance stress, but for people with palmar hyperhydrosis, there is no easy way to stop sweating, period.

I keep ten decks or so in rotation when I practice if my hands are sweaty. This isn't possible in an impromptu performance, when you would have no reason to have more than one deck of cards. Sweaty hands with a deck of cards for ten mins or so isn't a very bad thing for the cards. Just let them sit afterward.

A Porper is absolutely necessary - will fix a deck of cards basically overnight, even if it seems ruined by sweat. But in the long run, if you have sweaty hands, you just have to spend a lot more money on cards (in my 12 years of card experience).

Cameron

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results