Symphony - Daniel Garcia

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Hey guys, it's been about two days since the release of Symphony, and from watching it a few times, I figured I should write a review about it.

Symphony - Creative mastermind Daniel Garcia presents five effects hand selected from his upcoming Daniel Garcia Projects Volume 4, 5, and 6 set.

SYMPHONY contains five simple, powerful effects that are as visual as magic gets. Each is completely impromptu - no crazy gimmicks are required - and can be performed at a moment's notice.

TIMELINE 2.0

Daniel's take on the classic Mystery Card plot. A card with an odd back is removed from your pocket as the 'prediction'. You have the spectator sign it across the back and it is placed securely into the card box - which is then held by the spectator.

You spread another deck and have a card selected. You ask the spectator if it matches the prediction in the case - but they find it has vanished. You tell them to turn over the card in their hand and it is the original signed prediction. A piece that Daniel performs on a daily basis. Super simple. Incredibly powerful.

This is my favorite effect from the DVD, it is VERY powerful, and very clean, and on top of that, it's practical, and hard hitting. With this effect you learn a move that is very versatile, and can be applied to many others routines.

A visual transposition of two packets of four cards (as chosen by spectators). An effect that can be performed spur of the moment.Four Aces held by a spectator transpose with the Jacks in your hand... twice. Each move is taught in unparalleled detail.

This is very visual, and like all the other effects needs no set-up. At first I didn't think I would have much use of this one but I came to realize that this would be the prefect effect to routiine with 2 Card Monte.

JACOB'S LADDER

An effect inspired by Dan Harlan's 'Traveling Cash' routine. A rubberband is stretched around the fingers of a spectator. A bill is folded over the top strand of the band.

With a subtle flick it penetrates directly through, leaving it wrapped around the second strand. Another pull and it penetrates directly through. All can be examined.

This effect is definitely a close second favorite, because this penetration is one of the most visual penetrations out there, and the fact that it's impromptu, and can be done at a moments notice makes it all that better.

VISA

Visual. Instant. Static. Attraction. You cause the magnetic strip on two borrowed credit cards to polarize themselves, being drawn together and repelled apart as if a magnetic field was present. Three phases of staticy goodness.

Again impromptu, now the idea behind this effect is nice but I personally don't see myself using using this. Although others might like it, it just isn't my style.

VOID

For the first time, Daniel outlines the full version of VOID - one phase of which was previously published in Magic Magazine - an impromptu method for performing the classic MISLED effect by Timothy Wenk (as performed by David Copperfield).

An ordinary drinking straw penetrates and melts visually through a dollar bill in a three phase routine that will leave your audience speechless.

This I think the perfect effect to do when your just out hanging with friends. The items used are every day items and this can be at any time. This is a very visual routine.

All in all this is a fantastic DVD from Garcia, and all of the material in here is at least a 7 or 8\10 in my opinion. It really shows Danny branching out and performing with everything, and as always it is hilarious to watch Danny teach. This dvd was supposed to be a preview of the upcoming DG Project dvds, and this has left me wanting more.

Oct 5, 2008
New York
Nice review! This sounds like a good dvd. I may pick it up later. After reading the description of Timeline 2.0 I realized that that was the exact trick I came up with a couple months ago. I also remember before projects 1,2, and 3 came out I created the exact same effect as the one where the cigarette melts through the deck a couple days before the projects came out. I guess great minds think alike!:rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2009
Thx for the review. I watched the trailer and the jacob's ladder is really pure. I like it.
This sounds really good DVD.

Oct 21, 2007
www.hi5.com
Nice review! This sounds like a good dvd. I may pick it up later. After reading the description of Timeline 2.0 I realized that that was the exact trick I came up with a couple months ago. I also remember before projects 1,2, and 3 came out I created the exact same effect as the one where the cigarette melts through the deck a couple days before the projects came out. I guess great minds think alike!:rolleyes:

Glad you liked it, trust me it's worth it.

Oct 11, 2007
BUY IT people! This may be the best dvd that I have ever bought from theory11! All are practical and spur of the moment effects!

-emagician

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Solid review but i would like a more in depth opion on the effects themselves and how they work with real people...angles and stuff of that matter. This dvd has got some intrest in my mind an love DG s work. I wish you spent more time with the effects themselves instead of viewing the video a few times.....until then idk if i shall pick it up...need more opions an more info...but keep up the great work. :D

I was mainly purchasing this for Jacob's Ladder and .44.... They are both very solid pieces. However, one effect took me by surprise and that was Void. I didn't think I'd really care for it. I have the Magic Magazine issue that one phase of it was printed in... and I didn't really look at it to be honest... I just skipped over it. I skipped over Void on my first time through the DVD also... but, Void just might be my favorite.

May 3, 2008
I love Void and Jacob's Ladder. However, I find it difficult to practice in the mirror when you need spectator's hands.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results