Table hopping tables

Aug 5, 2017
Greetings y'all fellow magicians, this is my first post here, not really sure if it's at the right place...

So, I have been doing some street magic for a few months now and really want to have my first restaurant gig. In the streets, I just walk up to people perform my stuff and get a few bucks, but in restaurants, people are on tables and I don't want to be invading their space, nor limiting myself to tricks that do not require tables (I would love for example to perform my twist on the cups and balls routine). What table should I get? What do you guys use? Any help from the more experienced ones is more than welcome!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Hello! Thanks for the awesome question! This is one that there is no exact answer too, however, you should try to do a few things first:

1. Create a "table hopping routine"
2. Understand the flow of the restaurant
3. Understand how to approach a table

lets break these down 1 at a time!

1. Create a table hopping routine: Your routine should be:
-Very visual
-require little to no table space
-instantly reset
-to the point

You want to perform magic that will play well to a loud room who may not hear you. Restaurants can be quite loud sometimes. It also must be visual so everyone at the table can see it. Avoid performing on the table at all. 1. it may come off as "invading their space" especially if you need to move there drinks and plates out of the way. 2. they won't be able to see anything. Your routine should be to the point and last about 3-5 minutes max. Once finished your effects should be reset and ready to go so you don't have to hide in the back to reset after every table. This way you can hit as many tables as possible during your shift.

2. Understand the flow of the restaurant: You need to understand how the restaurant operates. Typically they want to seat people serve them then get them to leave asap so that more people can come in and take their place. This is called "turning over the table." make sure you are not performing AFTER they have finished eating. they need to pay and leave. This will keep the manager happy! The best time to perform is when they have ordered and are waiting for their food to come out. You CAN perform after their food is out, but it isn't preferred. Make sure you help the staff when possible, but most importantly STAY OUT OF THEIR WAY! lol

3.How to approach a table: there are 2 main ways you can do this:
-Introduce yourself
-Surprise them with a visual effect.

For example scenario 1 would look like this: I approach the table and say "Hello how is everything going this evening? Enjoying your stay at "X" restaurant? My name is Michael, I am the in house magician tonight. I am performing some sleight of hand and was wondering if you are interested in a free show?" If they say yes awesome! perform for them. If they say no, Thank them for their time and move on. Usually they will ask you to come back later.

In example 2 I may walk up to a table and ask them if someone dropped their wallet. They say no and i open it up to check the ID when suddenly it bursts into flames. You can then introduce yourself, explain you are a magician and ask if they want to see more.

Either way you should ASK! It is not a good idea to just start performing at a table without asking first. Also look at the table before you approach it. If they are in deep convo, it may be a good idea to leave them alone. I made the mistake of approaching a table who was in the middle of a fight and they both turned to me and chewed me out lol Not fun.

Otherwise HAVE A GOOD TIME! the hardest part about restaurant magic is getting used to how the flow works. Otherwise it is just like any other gig. Cheers!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
OH ALMOST FORGOT! i would ill advise bringing your own table. It may take up too much room and make it hard to get around. If you are dead set on cups and balls, then do a version that will play big on the spectators table. I teach a fun in the hands version in my book if you are interested (chop cup effect with 1 cup) Just PM me for details. There are a few good "cups and ball for restaurant magic" routines out there as well! Just bring a small closeup pad that you may place on the table. If you need to move their cups or plates ASK THEM TO DO IT! Do not touch their belongings unless you ask first. It may come off as rude, invasive and unsanitary! :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results