Tablehopping Routine?

Apr 4, 2016
Hello! I am a young magician and I have found myself in need of a steady job to open up gateways to more gigs and to further my knowledge and skill of magic. I've decided I want to do table-hopping, however, I'm not quite sure what I should be using in my routine yet. I have some mild experience in street magic-- coins and cards, with some small gimmicks involved here and there. I most definitely enjoy PK, mentalism, etc, however, I feel like this wouldn't really fit my table-hopping comedic, southern-hospitality type persona/patter. I've found myself with a troubling dilemma--that I have mostly street-magic orientated tricks that leaves the audience thinking "woah. thats kinda scary." So, my question is, what are some tricks that could have a lighthearted, good fun feel to it- something that everyone at every age can enjoy?
Tl;dr:
What are some good tablehopping tricks for a comedy routine?

Apr 18, 2016
USA
I highly suggest sponge balls. Also keep in mind the use of objects that are already on the table, vanishing a napkin for example.

Book

Reactions: AmberGraci

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
For sponge routines, check out Pips a Poppin (get an extra set of the pip sponges to add some depth to the routine) and 3D Sponge Bunnies. You can develop a nice routine with Scotch and Soda (again, get an extra English Penny to make the routine more interesting). You can easily do a torn and restored sugar packet or signed coin to sugar packet using basic gimmics and sleight of hand. You can also do a cups and balls routine - Michael Ammar has one that the spectator does. I like the Ninja Rings as a close up routine too. There is a lot of stuff in the Art of Astonishment books that can be used.

Ultimately, your best bet is to take some time and look at a bunch of effects. Then decide what you like and what is your style.

Reactions: Mr.Book

Prof_Utonium

Elite Member
Oct 6, 2009
Hamburg, Germany
You should also consider the working conditions:
-Although it´s called table hopping most of the time there´ll be little available space on the table. And if the table is somewhat long people in the back won´t be able to see if anything happens on the table surface.
-If it´s a rather quiet space (e.g. fine dining as opposed to a noisy bar) noisy (e.g. Ninja Rings) tricks or excessive movement might be annoying for the surrounding tables
-If food and drinks are being served you might run into trouble with interruptions in longer routines. One solution are short tricks another way are modular routines like ambitious card
-Your opener should be especially quick and captivating.
-Flexibility is key. Don´t try to build an act with a storyline over a bunch of tricks that will only make sense at the conclusion. You´ll need to keep things flexible because each table will have a different attention span or need for entertainment.
-It´s also perfectly fine if a table doesn´t want to see magic and sends you away. You´ll have to learn to live with rejection :)
However: It happens very often that you´ll be asked to return to a table that previously rejected you just because they saw that the other had fun and now they´re curious.
-Audience participation is also of major importance for close-up. That doesn´t necessarily mean that they need to be involved in the actions of a trick but you need to be open and communicate with them. Make a connection.
But actually involving them in a trick and especially if something happens in their hands (sponge balls, cards across, copper/silver transpo, coin under watch) is all the better.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
IMO you should only use the table to set props down on. You should never perform on a table. This is because usually there is little space, or the spectator's view is blocked by plates, drinks, centerpiece, etc. I usually pretend the table doesn't exist and will only set an object down on the table if I absolutely have to.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
"Here Then There" made popular by David Blaine has been one of my most successful table-hopping effects. In my opinion, every magician should carry a thumb tip with them at all times, especially in a restaurant scenario for things like "Passe Passe Salt" (Tarbell), or if you want to end clean after a sponge ball routine.

It's also nice to keep in mind that restaurants usually have more dim lighting, which allows for some more risky moves as the audiences depth perception won't be at 100%. I've gotten away with some pretty ridiculous moves due to this...

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Along with what Prof_Utonium said (besides adding a little chemical X ;) hehe) your tricks should be quick, fun and instantly reset. Your goal is to hit as many tables as you can in the amount of time you are there. For me, I usually do 2 hours. I want to hit as many tables as I can and hand out business cards. On top of that, you encourage the patrons to spread the word, getting more people in the restaurant asking for you (making you look better to the manager.)

I would say spend about 3-5 mins at the table at most. If they tip you (and you are allowed to accept tips) you can perform a quick encore for them if you like to show your gratitude. I usually carry with me the following:

-Ninja Rings (and my finger ring for ninja +)
-Sponge balls
-Cards

That is it....

I perform signed card effects and let them keep the card afterwards (again, the manager will see people talking about the card and how cool it was and will give you some points in his eyes.)

Sponge balls always play big and get huge reactions.

Ninja rings are a great way to attract attention from other tables as they can hear and see what you are doing from their table and will make them want to see your show. The finger ring stuff is quick and fun too and basically acts like coin magic.

Notice all of these things can be placed in my pocket and immediately brought back out for the next table?
Avoid: props that require set-up, tricks that are drawn out (I know you can make the card jump to the top, but please don't make it jump 38 times..... lol), and stuff that takes up a lot of space in your pockets. Keep in mind you need extra room for your business cards (I hand out a lot!) You can even have custom cards made up offering a free meal or something at the manager's request. This will get repeat customers. If they already saw you perform once before, you can show them a different card trick this time to keep thing fresh.

Well that is my little rant I guess haha hope it helps.

Apr 4, 2016
-Ninja Rings (and my finger ring for ninja +)
-Sponge balls
-Cards

That is it....
Firstly, thank you for all the help. I enjoy ninja rings as a magician, however I feel like linking rings always seem to get a roll of the eyes when the four rings come out. Would this be ideal for me? Also, with cards, the majority of the tricks/sleights I know are primarily street-magic oriented, intended for leaving my audience with almost an unsettling feeling. What card tricks would you recommend I invest in?
P.S. What are some high quality thumb tips I can buy? Brands, etc?

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
As for ninja rings, I usually do not do a 4 ring routine at the table. I perform "Ninja Plus" by Matthew Garrett.

Here is a video of ninja plus using the finger ring (the second-third segment is what I perform at the table + either sponges or cards depending on time.)

As for card effects, I perform either a 3 phase ambitious or depending on time I do my "Ambitious Ink" routine (minus the gimmick). It is the last thing I do and plays big especially when you hand out the card at the end. Other things I perform are: "Dr. Dayleys" (in their hands of course) after producing the four aces, "Tour de Force" (my triumph effect), "Card to Pocket," "Card to impossible location" (ie. a folded card ends up in an envelope, wallet, their purse, etc), or "Tu Tu Transpo."

I usually try to perform the same effect for every table so if i have time to do an extra one or i get a guest that has seen me before, I can show them something new and fresh!

As for TT, I do not have anything high quality, just a rubber one from the local shop, but it works just fine honestly. Make salt, silk, napkin, borrowed bill, etc disappear!

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
First off it is not a steady job. Second, you should be using salt shakers, sugar packets, impromptu material etc. for table hopping to be efficient and get the most out of your time when it comes to money/ pleased audience members. Lastly, I would suggest practicing to nothing less than perfection and not searching for gigs until you can go out confidently on the streets and performing with anything.

Davis West

Elite Member
Dec 26, 2013
Make sure that when you do walk around you want to fit your whole show on your person. It helps prioritize your magic and makes it a whole lot easier than carrying around a bag or a case.
If you want a good comedy magic routine, it's all about your presentation. The magician is more important than the effect. If the trick is funny but you're not, that negates the whole experience.

Table Hopping Tricks:

1.) Chop cup routine
2.) Bandwidth
3.) Spongeballs
4.) Any great rope routine
5.) Any trick that is short and impactful

Here's some advice from a Dan Fleshman lecture I attended:
1.) Make sure you're magic has many pieces of magic in it so when you're interrupted (waiter, food, boss) you can back away from the table and you won't have try and finish up your five act routine
2.) Reset your tricks as you perform them so when you hop to the next table you have minimum reset time (5 minutes max)

Hope this helps

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Make sure that when you do walk around you want to fit your whole show on your person. It helps prioritize your magic and makes it a whole lot easier than carrying around a bag or a case.
If you want a good comedy magic routine, it's all about your presentation. The magician is more important than the effect. If the trick is funny but you're not, that negates the whole experience.

Table Hopping Tricks:

1.) Chop cup routine
2.) Bandwidth
3.) Spongeballs
4.) Any great rope routine
5.) Any trick that is short and impactful

Here's some advice from a Dan Fleshman lecture I attended:
1.) Make sure you're magic has many pieces of magic in it so when you're interrupted (waiter, food, boss) you can back away from the table and you won't have try and finish up your five act routine
2.) Reset your tricks as you perform them so when you hop to the next table you have minimum reset time (5 minutes max)

Hope this helps

Great advice!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results