Taking a compliment

Hey there everyone-

Well little story first, then I'll tell you my question which came fromt he story.

I walked into third period today, and someone asked for a trick. I wasn't going to disappoint them, I had already done tricks in the period before for "Manning MAgic" friday. So i toke out my bikes and started shuffling them. BEfore the kid picked a card, my teacher said, "No, no, no. Wait until the class gets in and you get three tricks up front today." Let it be known, I've never done tricks in this class, nor did the teacher know. (well, other than Manning MAgic t-shirts) So I went up and just did what i was going to do to him. First, two card transpo. Then a brilliant card to pocket, and finally a card to mouth-esque trick. The last is a trick that everyone likes, due to its gross nature. So i did it, and then her card came out of my mouth folded up into what should have been quarters. Sure, I got an applause, but i wasn't quiet "happy" with the way I did the trick. (Many of you understand what I mean by this, I hope) The MCF wasn't right.

So fourth period rolls around and I was talking to a girl from the previous class and she says, "OMG that was amazing. that's SOOO cool." I honestly just blankly looked at her and said thanks, it takes practice and time. In reality, i was thinking otherwise. I mean I was NOT happy with my MCF and the way I did one other part of the first trick. Sure, no one jerk came out and ruined it. I think that is due to the fact they weren't all two feet away from the deck, and I had more misdirection. So how do you take compliments is my real question. Even when you're pissed and distraught and a little bummed that some of that practice fell trough. Naturally I'm going to get a few, if not more, of you to say "Practice More" Well duh! I d that, and will do that.

Other than that single compliment, I got three or four more, "Thumbs up man" and "I want a Manning MAgic t-shirt" compliments. But all I can think of is how I messed it up. Call me a pessimist, but how should I act in these situations. I mean it WAS indeed a good enough showing, just not what I wanted. thoughts on the story, what I can do, should do, should have done will all be helpful.

Thanks guys, and girls.

ehh. well It's kinda something I adopted, from where..I don't know. I just play up the "sleight of mouth" then i have them pick a card, then a shove the deck into my mouth. After fishing around for one, i get one, its wrong, get another, wrong, another wrong. start to get mad. Drop the cards then get red and choke a card up. "eww gross"

Steve- good point. I usually am. I try not to be over confident also. I've seen kids do that and lose the following from that.

It is always important to act gracious for any praise you receive. Forget about how you feel (until later) and pay all attention to your spec. I usually respond with something like "Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're so kind."

Anyway, good job on astounding your class. Keep handing out your t-shirts.

C

clarrus

for the most part, you shouldn't worry about how you acted but how they reacted. If you blew them away with a simple 3 card monte, then be happy about it. I'm sure we all get that feeling every once in a while.

Be grateful for the compliments and be proud of the fact that you pulled of the effect even if you were not happy with the presentation. There may be times when you feel that you have done an excellent performance and you do not get the reactions or compliments that you thought you would. Enjoy the moment and go with the flow.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I experience the same thing. I just say, "Thanks a lot," and move on. It really humbles me when people compliment me on my magic, and one thing I will never be in these scenarios is cocky. Confident, yes, but not cocky (there is a major difference).

yeah, i agree. good point guys.

BEing cocky is just dumb, I mean i think about it. If i was really good, i'd being performing ALL stuff that i made up and know a ton of everything. But when it comes down to it, as big as the magic world is, I'm a novice 4 years into this journey.

thanks for the replies

Sep 9, 2007
whenever I get a compliment, I jusr smile and say "I know"...just make sure you're smiling like you're kidding...

usually the way it goes...

"OMG....how did you...OMG that was amazing"
"I know" (say it like you're cocky, then smile like you're kidding)
"oh shut up" (recieve thier playful punch)
"nah, i'm kidding, thanks..."

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results