Teaching a Course on Magic

Dec 25, 2008
My university offers mini courses that students can teach on a variety of subjects, varying form languages, arts and crafts, and bartending. If I were to teach such a class (as it would be a nice source of income):

Firstly, what would be the moral implications of it from the perspective of magicians?

What sort of curriculum would be appropriate for a beginner magicians class that wouldn't expose too much?

In terms of qualifications, I am confident in my abilities. I have worked professionally and I have published.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
to answer your second question, I would teach them some history about magic, not enough to bore them, but enough so they are somewhat knowledgeable about the history behind it. I would teach the most basic moves and have the students use their creativity to create a trick/routine based off of a sleight or two. I would definitely emphasize the importance of presentation in magic in different situations. For cards, I would only touch on the surface of this type of magic, teaching basic utility moves such as the basic double lifts and simple card controls.

I have only been doing magic for about six months and have not bought any products. I think this is somewhat of a good thing because it forces me to use all the resources I can rather than being given the knowledge directly through a DvD. So basically, I teach basic things (touching on the surface of everything) and have the student produce an effect using the knowledge they have and their creativity.

Hope this helps?

Obviously, I am not aware of what specific type of magic you will be teaching, or who you plan on teaching but

Nov 12, 2008
I am not sure what type of magic you do but I have touched on all forms of magic in my five years so I would teach them a little of everything... If it were up to me I wouldn't go into double lifts and things like that just basic card stuff... basic coin stuff like french drop and fake take and maybe a coin bend :p . Can teach some basic mentalism like the one ahead principle and some mental card effects... and like one stage effect... if you are able to... if its all cards then I would then go into double lifts and things of that nature... I think it would be more fun to teach a wide array of things rather than just one specific class of magic... hopefully everything works out!

P.S. The history about magic is also important and theory... don't just teach some magic tricks as people would just go to learn the secrets... unless they are paying... but give them a full in depth study of the world of magic so that they know it's not only about fooling your friends but enjoying the interaction you have with people and most of all having fun...

I don't believe their are any implications.. you can weed out which people are in for it to learn the secrets and which people are genuinely excited to be there..

Hope this helps!

Dec 25, 2008
I would be teaching primarily card magic, since that is my speciality.
The class would only meet once a week, and each session would probably run around one hour. Though I agree the history of magic is probably important to eventually know, I'll be completely honest, I know very little of it. Furthermore, obviously presentation, misdirection, all of this is very important, but this would be an introductory class. Simply put, I would be doing only slightly more than revealing secrets to simple tricks and showing how to properly execute them. I just need a job. As magicians, would this be acceptable?

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I would shoot a PM to either Morgician, Steerpike, or Thrallmind to discuss this matter and have your questions answered.

Or, possibly, one of the artists may help you out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results